The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

177 Piller. Its probably more along the lines of 1000 fps, I haven't put the RWS over the Chronograph.

4 confirmed 1 probable jihadists so far...tired of sitting here, gonna go back to the h&h or go fishing...?

Six those scouts of Jay's were here too but they must have been tipped off or I woulda popped them too - no love for blue jays

Cant use that load here Six, too many houses down range!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, what do I win for setting Gunny up?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A heart felt THANK YOU !

Correction, 5 confirmed 1 probable. I forgot about one behind a tree, Parker delivered it to hand! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Back to reloading, 30 rds 32-20 in new Starline cases, 4.0 gr 231, 85 gr. Hornady JHP.

Number 30 was the 25,000th handload I have done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We are required to wear masks in public.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well.....Gunny wins again...don't know Fred......the guy has everything.......well, he is getting a CARE package in a few days..... :D ha! I took the box I put his stuff in and sneezed, coughed, spit up, and even mas..........ed in!

OK, but I didn't know that at the time so he can get his choice of what's in front of me....Hillary's love picture, 1/2 bottle of water, Cherry Skoal, regular toilet paper that I blow my nose with, alcohol, and some salt water I use for my sinuses.....take your pick pal!!!!!!.

25,000? Not bad. Mine needs to be updated......have a master sheet detailing each caliber, quantity and year......I'll dig it up, update and post......got lots of time on my hands.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

No model 69 either to show ya.....damm, I blew a lot of early numbers..got a lot of Smiths that would have worked.

Hey Fred....remember the story I told you about when I was driving the forklift and the dolly wheels collapsed? When I was looking for pictures for Grizz about loading dead bodies in trailers I came across this. Happened to me twice but the end result was worse...in one trailer BOTH dolly wheels broke.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

You boys gotta admit, we have more fun than "they" do. Fun...fun.....fun.....'till daddy takes the T-Bird away. :D

Not bragging, well, I am.....old work buddy called me last week.......I hear from this guy every couple of months......he tells me, "damm Jack, envy since you retired its boring as hell at work.....everyone is always so serious......when you were working it was fun everyday coming to work so I'm calling you to get a few laughs." :D So I start to cheer him up by telling off color jokes, laughing at the one shipping supervisor who is still working at 71. ....and this supervisor could buy and sell any one of us combined...... And just like here at Leverguns, it was the same way at work....there's always a miserable F. who "tries/tried" to dampen my spirits...........maybe the Chinese can make a virus that only attacks miserable people as the world would be sooooooo much better without em.

Well, got to go, I'm in mom's "office" and feel a huge fanny burp coming up and this one might be a "leaker" or as my son says, a "shart".
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well the H&H has a new pad installed. Took the Burris
2-7 off the AR to put on the 375. Put the scope in the rings and the bolt wont open... ah low rings , medium rings swapped out. Umm NOPE! the bend of the bolt handle is just hitting. Ok ok now we are smiffin for real! Start reshaping the root of the handle. Close, closer, closer , getting warm got it!
Time to take the girls out to Pelosi and Schumer!
I'll submit some pics shortly- OF THE GUN !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Page 69- my birth year !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You are such a child. That is the year I didn't go to Woodstock and the beginning of my last year in college.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah but every year of construction is like 7 years since I've been in the trade since I was 14 I'm pushing 250 years old ! :lol:

So here are some pics of my Argentine Mauser 98. I started this in 1994, not having a need for it I never got around to finishing it.
20200404_163438_copy_600x800.jpg
New recoil pad
20200404_164554_copy_600x800.jpg
New 4 round box, orignal box on left
20200404_164610_copy_600x800.jpg
Bolt hand forged
20200404_182802_copy_600x800.jpg
english walnut, ebony forend tip and grip cap. Shadow line cheek piece. The only thing I cant do is checker, try as I might my astigmatism's made my eyes go buggy and terrible headaches.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Beautiful gun!

Dan
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks Dan .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well G, now you certainly have my attention. I had a beautiful one that shot my handloads into .91" at 100 yds. Most accurate iron sight shooting I have done and that looks beautiful. Should not have let that one get away.

In chiropractic we get younger every year so after 42 years I guess I am 30 ;-)

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well if this nursing thing doesn’t work out for me aI can play at mechanic. Dam what a day. Yesterday afternoon Mrs fwb calls and says the charging system light is on. She is running late for work A NORMAL SITUATION for her so she can’t turn around and come get my truck noooo that would be easy. So I finish office stuff and at 1600 having gathered enough tools to at least assess her truck I head to her work. I get there to t starts but it ain’t charging. Put the meter on it 9.5 volts ooppps. I transfer my stuff into her truck and her stuff into my truck and head to the house.About 15 miles. I get 6 miles and poof, dead. Inhave one of those little jump packs but still rated to jump my diesel pickup so all I can think of.. connect the jump pack to the battery and run er. It is even small enough I was able to wire tie it in place and shut the hood.I was thinking of where to pull off every mile but it made the whole nine miles. At home I was able to do a thorough exam and yup alternator kaput. My buddies at the local auto parts house had a carquest lifetime warranty alternator in stock and so I swapped it out. Today I replaced the intermediate pipe onnher exhaust, bled the brakes. Changed the driver side tie rod on the Super duty, gave the cub cadet a spring tune up bath and wax, AND loaded 45 rounds of 32-20. Other than that a lazy day. Tomorrow cut the grass and test 32-20’s and reformed 22 or. Might have a beer too.
Today would have been my Dad’s 77th Birthday. Guess I was trying to stay busy today and didn’t even realize I t until now.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny....BEAUTIFUL! Your talented.....what caliber is it in? By the way, the background in your pictures shows tools all over the place which is very unusual for a German. :D

Tommy Gun.....be thankful you have the expertise to handle that.....the way you wrote that was about how much of my life was.......work on junk on the weekends so I had something to drive during the week. Pizz and moan on a car part that cost a hundred but show me that 1886 for 2G's......no thought at all..here comes the cash.

Looks like we are having a 32-20 meeting......Gunny, you need a 32-20 for social acceptance.

CRAZY ...what's going on. Luckily we have a "friend" in the business.....after stocking up at Costco last month, our egg, milk, and some meats were getting low......Mom make a call this morning to Ishmael, the Amish guy who runs the market down the road....chat...chat...chat.....mom leaves in the Jeep and comes home in a half hour with 8 dozen eggs, milk, bread, three gallons of orange juice, yogurt, 30 lbs of various meats, pears, mandarins, and other stuff. Good ole Ishmael put it all together and walked it out to moms Jeep.....she never had to leave the Jeep and these other people were looking and wondering how she did dat.....(I think Ishmael likes mom) :D

Ahhhh...what the hell, once the cakes been sliced you never miss a piece.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That is the 375 H&H. When I put it together it was the largest bore rifle I owned. It was also the last of the rifles ( except ARs) that I have put together. Douglas air gauged barrel that I fit, chambered and turned. The wood was kind of inexpensive but I did the inletting and shaping, finishing. Oh if I only had a lathe and a mill- I'd have 1 of every caliber by now ! :lol:
I won this page so you guys have to give me your 32-20's !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I’ll give ya my 32-20’s but whatcha gonna shoot em in?🤓
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

fordwannabe wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:53 pm I’ll give ya my 32-20’s but whatcha gonna shoot em in?🤓
Ha! Good one my son Tommy Gun!

Where's that masked bandit from soft stuff land? My guess is he's wearing that mask so he can go out and do bad things....like breaking into gunshops to steal their 32-20 ammo.---6

Well guys..getting late......tune into this channel, same time for another day of fun...fun...fun....

Till later...Mr. 32-20
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

South of the border, down Mexico way ..

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Oh wait, just headed to the bank?

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Pretty good Fred....you even changed shirts! How fashion conscience you are! One minute your Poncho Villa and the next your John Dillinger. Sheeeeeetttttt I'm laying in bed and the best I can do is Mike Lindell with my head on My Pillow. :D

Yep...start laughing in the early afternoon (when I get up) and laugh right into the night.......think I'm gonna have trouble sleeping....watched that stupid movie, Panic Room.

Ok, you win.....more fun tomorrow!---6...o....da bro wit da fro. :D

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Panic room shouldn't bother you any, I watched Zombiland -Double Tap, I know what a corny movie but a very nice display of firearms. A SAA got screen time as did a smattering of other including a mini gun mounted to the roof of the Beast!

Ah well I fell asleep about 11-11:30, was awakened at 5:30... Going to be a long day, yard work maybe, go fishing more likely! I also have to hang bird houses at the club.

Well Tom I'll take all your 32-20 ammo, pull the bullets and neck the brass into 25-20 and 218 bee!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Roomi

Post by fordwannabe »

SACRILEGE! Though I do have to pay attention as lots of my 25-20 is headstamped 32-20.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Don't think "Panic Room" would go over today as being politically correct.... :D

Looks nice outside......probably make a day of "rock retrieval" happen......mindless work is good for the soul....

Where's the bandit? Pops? He will probably come out looking like Madonna with a Michele Obama mask on.-----6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So as you guys were having a nice relaxing sunday morning I went and hung 4 blue bird boxes at the hunting property then I decided to go fishing. Kind of slow going but I caught 3 rainbows, 16" give or take, a 14" and one about a foot long. Was nice to do something different!

Your comment about tha movie Panic room being politically incorrect had me thinking... those that are the people worried about being politically incorrect are the same people that have panic rooms!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

At the office, chiro friend drove from two hours away to get adjusted.

Tumbling 454 and 32 mag cases at an undisclosed location. ;-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Seems about half the people are going with the masks. Most with those ridiculous looking hospital masks. Have some style people.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I had a .32-20 once upon a time... for about a month. Wife made me return it... Nice 1892 with ~24" octagon barrel. Wished I'd have hidden it better... It had a nice even overall patina to it, fairly clean bore, and shot those 115 "soup-can" bullets like they were on lazers! Wonder if the old guy that "sold" it to me is still alive... Nah, just looked in the safe, can't see the forest for the trees. I think I have 28 long guns in there, made for 12! But... again... I think I just found a spot for ONE MORE!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

It was like Christmas here today. I went to the range and shot for about 2.5 hours all by myself, thank you very much. I thought about what Mr. 32-20 had said about the Lyman 311008 and was looking on the interweb for a good price on one. Ahh I can do that after I cut the grass. Went to the shed for the mower, that is also the shed where I cast bullets. Looked on the bullet mold shelf and what do I see ? A faded orange box with the numbers 311008 on it! Hmm, I look in the box and pretty as you please is a brand new still in the plastic 32-20 mold. I run in the house and give it a proper scrubbing with Dawn and a tooth brush, then I set it on the hot plate do three heat cycles.! Well I gotta try it out right? Cast a couple hundred about half air cooled and half water quenched. When Mrs fwb calls she has left the lights on in her truck and the battery is dead(told y’all that jump pack has been a great buy) go get her going. Get her home test the charging system since the alternator is a couple days old it might have burned out or something. Nope charging system ok, battery load test ok. She just left the lights on but now too dark to mow🤗. Sorting bullets from my “NEW” mold.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Anybody have any experience with having a rifle reclined? I am looking for a gunsmith who can do it and how did it work out for you? Thanks
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:09 pm Anybody have any experience with having a rifle reclined?
Nope...can't help you..never had a rifle "reclined". I've had a few chairs reclined but never a rifle. :D I did have several rifles relined. They came out great. If memory serves around $300. The guy who did it for me no longer does it so I have no recommendation......the guy in Oregon or Washington (Taylor) still does it. He did reline just the chamber for me on an 86 and it came out great. Also...Tom....it's rare that an OLD gun will shoot plain base bullets well...it may shoot good at 50 yds but th groups open up as distance lengthens. Use a gas check....Old guns just don't have the perfect bores and crowns that plain base requires...look at my post a few pages back......50 yards is usually the closest I shoot anything.....

Nice day today....played with white quartz all day while Gunny played with blue bird boxes. Hey Gunny, is that the club near you or the one near Hamburg?

Where's the "masked singer". Pops? Funny thing, I call my neighbor Pops too. I asked his wife if I could adopt her husband as my dad and she gave me the go ahead.. ..saw him today,,,,he's 78 and still kicking pretty good. I brought him over 5 Kubota buckets of dirt from the dredgings of my pond today ....made him all happy as he likes to work outside, like me.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jack it’s for an old lever action 22. You can see the funnel where someone was cleaning from the bore and it’s a takedown AARRG
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've never had a reline done either. Seen a few that looked good though.
Matter of fact, I'd like to have my only 32-20 done maybe.
I did have an 86 one time that had been rebored many, many years before it came to me. It was a first year, probably a 38-56, that had been bored to 45-70. I was a great shooter.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jay, I also have an 1886 that has been rebooted. It was originally a 40-65 and somebody had it rebored loong ago to 45-70. As you said, it is a shooter. I also have Mainehunter’s Marlin that was rebored to 35/30-30. I got
This with it this year.
8619E355-E49B-4F1B-A225-1B57EE14A308.jpeg
I really like this 22 and after seeing what they are selling for, and what I have in it, a reline seems appropriate. I looked at a couple barrels but the outside of mine is pretty nice sooooo.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice!
Thats weird with the 86. Is it a first year full octagon rifle? Mine had the early heavy wood and factory sling swivels. Not a lot of finish. Mostly grey.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:50 pm I was a great shooter.

Bragging again? "I" was a great shooter and Tom wants a rifle "reclined". Don't you love it when your tired, the spell check writes what it wants to and you don't proof read? :D

Just funnin. I do it all the time. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

ALL 1886's are collectible......even if it has been worked on......Italian guns and other junk are "shooters".

That's a nice picture Tommy Gun.....you look like you just did a long line of meth.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. I should've kept it.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was wet and freezing. I was soo tired that the only way to keep my eyes open was to keep them WIDE open. My brother said I looked like a mass murderer in that picture. He was just pizzed because he had sat in that stand the day before then had to go home. Hehe.
Jay I think that one is 1892 buut don’t quote me on that. No finish left on it heavy octagon barrel a beater. But I “have had a THING” for 86’s since I was 10! Dunno why but it is. I would rather have a beater 86 than any AR or most bolt guns. I currently have 4’86’s a lightweight in 33 (my favorite of my 86),a takedown in 33( my favorite of my 86),a modified gun to sorta resemble a saddle ring carbine in 45-70( my favorite of my 86’s), and the beater fl,flm,octagon in 45-70( yup my favorite of my 86’s). I am giving serious consideration to having that one rebored and converted to 50-100-400. But we will see how the family(son,DIL, Grandbaby) makes out during the economic hard times, before
Spending that kinda money on something that shoots well as is.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! Cool buddy. I only have one 86. A full octagon 45-90 from 1888. It's not too bad. Has about 70-75% finish on the barrel. Tube is turned. Receiver has traces of colors.
Don't get me wrong, I like 86s plenty. I just don't use the big boomers much. Too heavy to lug around. I don't use my 71 either.
Now, I wouldn't mind a lightweight rifle in 33wcf. Always liked those.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

LooK here...why don't you guys stop over here with a suitcase FULL of cash and you can have your pick of ANY '86, from pre lightweights with round barrels or oct or from lightweights or extra lightweights from 33 to 45-70 to 45-90. I want CASH...had these rifles long enough. Then you can take your pick on single action Colts or Ruger or pre war N frame Smiths or civil war cap and balls.i want cash! Hurry!!!! Once that guy with the big furry coat comes over the party is over.

Nighty night and don't let the bed bugs bite.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I tell ya buddy, if I wasn't keeping a low profile so I can get out of this rathole, I'd be scraping up all I could and heading down.
You got some stuff I'd sorely like to have.
Who knows, I may even weaken and have to grab at least one. :D
You know.......if you take pity on this poor ole hick. :D

Hahaha hey! I'd say it's the cat that ought to be scared! :D

Get your beauty sleep buddy!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The bird houses are here at the hunting club,since we are trying to get grant money from NRCS to do a bunch of forestry work they dictate what needs doing- bird nesting boxes, they also want bat boxes put up. Cheap & easy to get ! The gun club by Hamberg is COLSED until further notice.

When I was in school I remember one guy that did a reline, if they are done right it is almost undetectable. A liner can save a fine old shootin iron!

Is that cat made of Velcro? It's upside down!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Don't know Gunny.....I uploaded the pics straight from my iPad instead of using a hosting site. When you click on it, it comes up proper.

I got aggravation today.. The county reassessed everyone's property to take effect in 2021. ....they do this every 20 years or so....

We got the new assessment last month and they are claiming my back 2 acres is worth $200,000 which it's not as it's land locked and is in flood plain....(notice the pond and cat tails?) so that means my real estate taxes will jump another $3,000 a year. This happened once before 20 years ago and I had to "challenge their claim" by having a meeting, taking pictures, etc. and I won. ...(you know I ALWAYS win. :D ) Now my wife tells me they called and said all meetings are off due to this virus 💩 stuff and it has to be done over the phone so how in the hell am I gonna show them pictures in person like I did before?

Yea...it'll all work out but this blood pressure raising garbage cuts into my "happy time" like others here on Leverguns when something's cuts into their "miserable time". They only know misery and love it when someone happy gets unhappy. Poor souls, they ought to go in the woods with a 10 gauge shotgun and let the shotgun win.

. :D ---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yep I just went into the basement to see if I have the paint for the deck- what's all this water on the floor !!?? Never have water in the basement unless something is leaking... carp it's the furnace! Gotta call my oil burner guy.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Man! That sucks Gunny! I had that happen before. Coil plate rusted out. Had to replace my furnace.

Wow Six! Two hundred K for 2 acres? :shock:
Holy smokes! My property taxes are about a grand a year. My 200 acre lot is about 500 a year.
Of course, there is a lot less potential up here haha.
You are in a very nice area.
They re-evaluated here a couple years ago. Hadn't done it in a long time. They always try and screw over a few people.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Just had our "phone meeting"....the guy had our property on satellite and everything is plain to see....the cattails, the creek, the pond....blah......he agreed to what I had to say.......but they still want proof! Now I have to take pictures and draw a diagram as to the wet/dry areas.

This what happens when there are more people "taking" than there are "giving". The poor areas like Chester no longer have a tax base and "they" want to spread the wealth. I'll spend 50 big ones on a high dollar lawyer before I give them any more on real estate taxes.....YEA...I told someone else that I'm the kind of guy who will cut his nose off to spite his face.

Well, off to dig up more rocks!----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well I'm glad you at least have some recourse buddy.
Best of luck Six!

Yeah, I hear you on the nose cutting. Nothing gets my back up more than gov't corruption and overreach.
NOTHING