The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

That blood trail is just a bit bigger than the one Claro just left on the kitchen floor! Seems she tore a nail off while chasing/ treeing a coon in the yard !
By the time I could figure out what the heck was going on and grab a 22 the coon disappeared.

Nice fat doe Tom , I'm happy for you!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

3 in a row! I'm on a roll now!!!! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:01 pm 3 in a row! I'm on a roll now!!!! :lol:
It's rigged! You're cheating!😁
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

You,ain't gonna believe this but I would have been the first on this page if I wasn't answering Jays PM....I come back and Gunny wins again!!!!! Page 30 too!!!!!!!! This calls for a special gift....so that means after I get the check for the Ruger Flattop from Jay I'm gonna tell Targetmaster to send it to Gunny's address.

Yea Tom...that's was GREAT on the deer, the 86 and the Ray Charles thingy...MY kind of rumor. Let's hear about that carbine....I've only seen three in my life and ones here, another is in a buddies safe and the third was at a show. Only thing that throws it off is the mag tube is too close to the muzzle of the rifle. I'd be interested in hearing how you got the proper profile of a barrel...and the butt stock looks like a shotgun butt.....

Griffy pooh.....we all know how these things happen...the day or week before some forklift driver got his azz reamed out for not paying attention to the product he was unloading and the BOL.....and YOU paid the price. But on another note, I've seen truck drivers having to get a room or sleep in their trucks because they were a day early and our shipping boss had a bug up his azz. Forgot how many times I've kept truckers from whooping azz on the shipping clerks.

The Gunny...wins again...Flattop on the way!---6.....o
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah! And like to have a nickel for every time I make the last post on a page.....and set someone up for the win.
Man, it's hard being such a nice guy. :D
Now I even gotta give my sweet Flat top to Gunny! :D

So, I got to thinking, you guys remember a couple years ago when I posted all the old pics of my grandfather?
I'm thinking of doing another one along the same lines with my dad and I. Got some neat pics. I have to go through them all.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'll tell ya what Jay ol buddy ol pal - you can have the flat top, Six can just deliver that 41 Blackhawk he has and we will call it even! :lol:

Sure hope you will post some nice pics, maybe a range report with you new flatty!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks Guys. I had two goals this year kill a buck with the 35/30-30 and a die with the 1886 soooo check check.
I b piece this to be a fake SRC. I need to do the Cody letter but tint has the correct saddle ring and barrel bands. Crescent butt, Jack.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice looking model 86. Once more the .45-70 does the job.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Just thinking here....the last Garand Post was just short of 100 pages in just under a year. We are on course to have 125 pages in the same amount of time and with the "friends and foes" enabled it's a sure bet we get to 150 pages in a year......The royalty checks will be rolling in. Ooooohhhh.......we're in the moneeeeey.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice! I could use the extra cash. I want to get an early start on my new life as a hermit trapper. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hermit trapper??? You joining the boys over at Dead River Rough Cut? Hey ! You got the trapper rifle.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. I didn't want to mention it before. Those boys are my uncles. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hermit trapper!? Sounds like my kinda gig, where do I sign up? Can you skin grizz pilgrim?

It's funny how the Friends keep growing and the Foe list doesn't change...

So Tom, not that you have blooded both your 35/30 and the '86 are you going to retire them both? If so, I have a very nice retirement home for them! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Your already signed up buddy. No Grizz here, sorry :D
Tom should come too! Bring the deer meat.....and the 86. :D

Foe list? Haha I don't even know how to look at that stuff. :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

That 86 is too much fun to shoot to fully retire but Inhave a couple other oldies that need blooded....like the 1886 takedown in 33wcf, the 1895 in 30-40, a 1894 in 38-55 ect. I have killed 8 doe with different 100 year old or older leverguns in the last 10 years.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Cool!
I did a lot of that years ago, myself. Shot a nice 8pt with 1st year 92 SRC .44. I've used 38-55s, a 73 SRC in 38 and a 71 348 I shot a moose with.
Got a bunch I've never shot deer with......or anything else for that matter. :D
I've mostly circled back to 30-30 and 32WS the last few years.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Alright! I'm a hermit trapper in title but can I be a hermit bird hunter ?

Ok Tom just bring me those old rifles, I'll take real good care of them !!

Well I missed the boat !! Was perusing Guns International this morning, found a CSMC 30" o/u 20 ga NIB for 200 bucks under list. The description was a little lacking. Email to the seller revealed he had just sold it ! I've got 2 410s, 2 28s,6 12s and a 10ga but not a 20 smooth bore. This would have filled the void nicely. So now I'm looking at the CSMC website , hmm now I'm thinking of a road trip to pick one out...

Oh here is Claro's toenail- off to the vet soon!
20191213_084008.jpg
I'm glad we aren't hunting this weekend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That looks painful. What did she do?
D. Brian Casady
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh my....Claro has got to be hurtin. I think it's time for Gunny to have a live in vet.

Jay back to the 30-30/32 Spl.? That ain't nuttin, wait till your my age...I've gone back to the .22...love em and shoot em all the time......I guess in a few years it will the bb gun and the sling shot and finally the abc blocks...you know what they say, "once a man, twice a baby".

Well, set a stump on fire yesterday...looking out the window, it's close to the ground......hit it with the Kubota and call it a day.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Piller, I put the dogs out last evening, I went out the front door to get the mail, by the time I got to the end of the driveway, 480', all heck was breaking out! Got back to the house and they had a raccoon treed. I don't know exactly what/how she did it.

Yes Six she has yelped a couple times this morning!

Just back from the vet. Little lidocaine and Dr Jeff grabbed ahold of it with a pair of forceps and yanked it off. Meanwhile 75 lbs of chocolate muscle is trying to get away. A vet tech and myself holding onto her. Even muzzled her just to be safe. After all said & done she still ate a couple cookies. Vet wrapped it up, try to keep it dry for a couple days... Rain for today and tomorrow...

No bird hunting this weekend, she picked a good time to do this. Think I'm going to go load up some 410s & 28s with some number 2s just for that raccoon- I'll get my vet bill back in trade!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That raccoon is probably a rotten thieving scoundrel. I hope you salt his hide real soon.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm hoping that raccoon learned to not come back. I walked the perimeter of the fence, saw no sign of tracks in the snow so I guess it came over the wire through the trees.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh man! Sorry for Claro.
We had a beagle we rabbit hunted with when I was a kid. He stepped on a cut off cornstalk and did that. Didn't he yelp!
Hey Gunny, no 16ga? It's my favorite. Just right for thunderchickens!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Huh, my supply of copper plated #2s is very low! So I loaded up 5 2&1/2" 410s. A half ounce of 2s is about 41 pellets. Gotta get another bag at some point.
Took my High Standard Flight King 410 out of the safe, stocked the magazine with 4 shells and stood it in the corner ready to open a can of whoop tushy on mr coon!

No I dont have a 16, I need to remedy that at some point !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I tell ya buddy, first time you give one a whirl there's no goin back! :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:53 pm I tell ya buddy, first time you give one a whirl there's no goin back! :D
Well look at this.......I'm going to start calling Jay and Gunny the "Ball Brothers" as they "hang together". You like dat? :D

Jay..what are you doing up? I thought you slept during the day. I got up at 9 and realized I was up too early so after a coffee I went back to bed and got up an hour ago. This retired life is hard........well, gotta go and check out the stump.---6....o
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Brother Ball- I'm a diehard 28 ga fanatic! There is nothing ya can do with a 12 that ya cant to with a 28.
I'd like to find an 870 in 16, maybe a model 12 !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny...I run into this stuff all the time...you want a 870 in 16?

On another note, I'm getting good at stump removal. I worked on this for a while yesterday, off and on, going out every hour or two to add wood. Last night around midnight I threw on the last few pieces of firewood. Burned it out pretty good, even getting the big parts of the root. I had the entire hole glowing last night with it filled with maple and Osage orange coals. Keep in mind that pine is much easier to burn out than hardwoods which usually require digging out.

I'll head out to the barn and get the Kubota for the final finish.---6

Looking straight down

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I do sleep during the day, but Friday is the start of my weekend. I don't work tonight. I usually take a quick powernap and then up and attum!
Just got back from a little "woods loafin" with my 94 carbine. Coyotes are still digging down through the snow where the paunch was from the old man's deer.

I like doubles best in 16ga. However, I have a couple Remington 11's, and an old H&R single, also.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well Jay...your still a youngster......those power naps don't do much when you get as old as me...I gots to get my full 9-10 hours!

Anyway, my son ordered these magnets for guns and sent me a few.......the glue that comes on the back is good stuff but takes too long for a good "sticky" and besides, when you grab for a gun and need it fast I don't want the magnet coming with it....."excuse me bad guy, I have to take this magnet off before I drill some air conditioning holes in you."

Made for automatics (I guess) but it grips a revolver real well on the cylinder on the flutes.----6..........o

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six it's not high on my list by any means. I have often thought about an 870 in each gauge, so far I have a 12.. not a priority!

Just the past few years I've gotten the double gun bug. Oh I've had my share of over & unders for years. Now I have a 410,28 & 12 in doubles so 20 & 16 need to be added, as well as a 410 ou, 20 ou, 16 ou .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

9-10 hours dude? Holy smokes!
After years of working nights, it isn't physically possible for me to sleep more than about 5 hours max. Normally, it's closer to 4.
Good times. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:09 pm 9-10 hours dude? Holy smokes!
After years of working nights, it isn't physically possible for me to sleep more than about 5 hours max. Normally, it's closer to 4.
Good times. :D
Jay....it will be one day....I was a six hour a night guy until I retired. When working, your mentally pumped doing your job, home/family responsibilities, and trying to get some time for hobbies. These things will keep you moving physically and mentally. Once retired you have more time to think and contemplate and come to the realization that life in general has kept you moving at a faster pace than what's normal.

You slow down and no longer let things "push you". .......at least I don't anymore. Bp went from 140/80 to 115/65.----6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I can attest to that Six! The last couple years I was at the lumberyard my stress level was through the roof! I was 1 guy doing the work of 3. My body finally said SCREW THIS IM DONE! I spent 2 months doubled over, not sleeping- the azz whole boss just laughed at me, the Bald headed bazztard got what he deserved as many of the customers stopped going in there when I left !
Anyhow since then I have had very few issues with my back.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, I hear you guys. I'm really hopeful I will get there.
That being said, I do think a lot if it is working nights. It's not the same as living like a normal person.
But yeah. I'm REALLY looking forward to retirement. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:19 pm He he he, rich folks ordered a new front door. Today we took the old one out, put a nice big 3 foot by 7 foot hole in their heating bill for a while today!

So who can tell me what these are?20191212_161120-600x800.jpg

C'mon Griff we are waiting to see your new hogleg!
Beans, coffee. Or, pebbles... for the driveway!
Not a new hogleg! Just the son's after having new sight installed! Gunsmith worked the action once and commented: "...darn how light is that trigger?" Me, "I don't know, never measured it!" So he broke out a trigger guage and did just that. 8 ozs. Yep, you read that right 8 ounces!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

8 ounces???!!! Too light for me. A couple of my competition S&W N frames are adjusted down to a pound and a quarter and I really don't care for that ...but that's what I ended up with.....

Gunny.....I've said this before...most people are strongly detested by me.....and it's because of the way some people use other people...your ex boss laughed because he knew he was taking advantage of you, like many have done to me over the years.

In my twenties/thirties I learned about people like that and I made a goal that I wanted to reach by the time I was 40. Since then I've been able to tell anybody (but my wife :D ) to go f themselves....for whatever reason I want to.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have to have a light trigger to shoot a single action well as my hands are too big for them. But..... 8oz. :shock:

Well another season over. This was a couple weeks ago, but went up to the lot with the "Jolly Green Giant" and got the shack, picked up blinds, and removed stand seats.
I also did the ritualistic "wrapping of the drag rope". It was my grandfather's rope, and won't be unwrapped until a deer is shot. This is the first year in a long time I used it twice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good guess but no, Griff!

That pic is of a major staple for the American Indian- I'm an American and part Indian hence I use American Indian. Anyhow those are pine nuts in the raw. Years ago the family would get them sent to us. Now we just get them from a supermarket in Nevada. These are the same as pine nuts used in cooking but WAY cheaper by the pound.

Yep Six the guy was a user, abusive, even his sister said she hated him as a boss. His wife was a C word! F-em, I don't go there anymore nor does a lot of the public!

Well rain again today, the last day of our buck season. 6 day season. 2 days of rain, then snow, sun, rain and rain- bad week for hunters but it was a good week if you are a deer! :D If the rain lets up this afternoon maybe I'll go sit.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I finally figured out why I know naddler and Schiff so well!
20191214_074114.jpg
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well OW, Maine in winter, a far cry from SoCal
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah I know buddy! I'd say "well, we ain't got any black flies for a few months at least", but you probably don't have em anyway! :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:46 pm Yeah I know buddy! I'd say "well, we ain't got any black flies for a few months at least",
Well...we have plenty of them and as long as the weather is cold, we don't see them. In the spring they come right outta the woodwork! Especially bad in the evenings on a hot Saturday night.

This f in rain has to go somewhere.......can't finish up the stump work.....the Kubota would sink up to the axles......

What the hell is Gunny doing posting a pic of Pelosi's children?

Old Savage, tried and true to the aspects of good living.......beautiful weather, beautiful scenery, and LOTS of soft stuff all over the place just waiting to be squeezed.

I'm miserable.....this rain puts a mental damper on me...don't feel like doing nuttin'-----6......o
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nasty here too. Had plans to drive over to Bangor and get some new work boots. Looked outside and said screw that!
Went down in the gun room, cleaned 2 Glocks, three shotguns, and contemplating making some 300BO brass.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six that's not pelosi spawn- its Nadler & Schiff!! You know puppets!!
It cruddy out here too, been raining and foggy all day. Heck I haven't even gotten dressed today - another buck week over and I didnt draw blood.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

About 60 here today and sunny. Not as many places to hunt, but the weather is awesome.
D. Brian Casady
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:18 pm Nasty here too. Had plans to drive over to Bangor and get some new work boots. Looked outside and said screw that!
Went down in the gun room, cleaned 2 Glocks, three shotguns, and contemplating making some 300BO brass.

What size do you wear? I have a brand NEW 100% tried on only Redwings 9" black steel tips in 9W that I paid around $350 for that I'll sell for $200. I bought these about a year before I retired but the old pair held out...in fact, they held out so well, I have them on my feet right now. I have three pairs of Redwings and other Danners that will last me till I'm on the other side of the dirt. My guess is your a size 12 guy. ---6......Super Fly
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-sh ... boot-black

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Who is this 'Super Fly' guy? How is it he is barging in try to sell used boots?! Oh never mind its Count Sixula!! :lol:
I get it you are incognito so you dont have to deliver MY Blackhawk 41. That's ok Six you can hang on to it for awhile- just dont shoot it! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha they'd be a little tight, I take a 12. Thanks for the offer, though.
I get em cheap through work. A pair a year. I wear Red Wings too. I've had my current pair almost 5 years.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If you get new boots then you will have to wait to retire !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!