The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey guys.....looks like another exciting day.....wow! What can I do today? Why I think I will get dressed and feed the animals..whoa! Exciting!

270 grain Gunny. I've burned up probably 5,000 of them in various 38-55's. Can't remember if that's with the gas check and the lube as per weight.

I get a kick out of people who think they can have fun at home by drinking......I've been there.....after the third day your nerves start to frazzle......got to stay sober in these times.

My SIL who works at the supermarket is just about ready to go out on medical....after over 40 years this is the most worse she has seen in civility......

Solid Stage 6--------6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Won again!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Old Savage wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:41 am 45 Colt, 44 Spl, 45 ACP all pretty much the same, big bullet with moderate velocity.
Yes, all very similar, and all rather accurate. Fun to shoot.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:29 amFor a walk on the wild side I throw a charge or two without weighing. ;-)
Loading on a Dillon, weighing each charge is counter-productive! I do weigh every time I fill the primer tube... every 100 rnds!
Happiness is a full "CAN" of 45 Colt (or 45ACP, for that matter)! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ain't having a Dillon great, Griff?

I love pouring tons of loaded ammo into ammo cans. That sound is cathartic. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

When I reload pistol with the RL550b I do not weigh pistol charges except to start and occasionally to check consistency.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The 2008 election I bought 3000 + 556 cases, I devised an out feed chute and pvc pipe drop tube for my 550. Then when Hildabeast was running i bought 2000 762 cases, had to make a stop plate on the end of the chute so those top heavy 308s would fall into the tube. Works slicker than snot !
Yep the 550 is a handy dandy piece of kit to have !

270 gr +/- ok by me !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Waiting at the chiropractor office, just looking online, find this and had to share it. Read the description all the way through. It made me laugh. Yeah sure it's a 600 nitro but it is a gorgeous work of art ! Hey who has a mold for this ?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101414411
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have had a Dillon since 1988. Still use a rock chucker for small batches but this winter I did volume loading in 40 smith and 45 ACP. During the no travel to work time(saves 2-2.5 hours a day) I have been loading a lot of small batches for testing. I also used my Paco Kelly 22 accurizer to try and fatten up a couple boxes of 22 from .222 to .224 to see if it will help accuracy in ab1897 Marlin.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

On a side note all this talk about 32-20’s made me get my 1873 out and order the finger lever spring I need and I have brass in the tumbler sooooo I will be loading some 32-20 here shortly.
Gunny next time you are in the area the sheetz in Bethel is about a mile from my gunclub and we can cure that highly deficient part of your gun education... actually shooting a colt sAA clone in 45 colt
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Where do I start? OH! The 600 nitro emitting all those gases! Yea, the description is funny.....$38,500 is exactly what the builder charged us for the house we had built in '75....we already had the land and other things. I do have a bullet for one of those..just the head......

Gunny....I'll get it altogether tonight and it will go out tomorrow......

NOW....ON TO BUSINESS.

This is my thinking and it'll work to cure this virus stuff........quite sure radiation will disable this virus so why can't President Trump lob a small artillery sized nuke like 5 miles downwind of every major metropolis. You know, like hitting a baseball field or an orchard where the collateral damage will be minimal. It can be broadcast in advance so everyone can stand on the sidewalk enabling them to "soak up the rays"....ya figure N.Y, Philly, Chicago, L.A. (Not where Fred lives), Newark, N.J., Oakland, Dallas, Boston, Bangor, York, Pa. in fact, the entire country except where I live. Hope it don't sound selfish...--JB
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Tom...you got a 73 in 32-20? What's the bore look like? I've never seen one shiny unless it was 20K
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

See Six your idea is exactly why I want my own cave!!
Hey FWB if I have the time I'll take you up on that offer. Then I'll teach you how to use a scatter gun- properly! :lol:

My first Dillion was a Square Deal B in 40 short & weak. I was down in Clarksville TN visiting some friends and taking a Glock Armourers course , my buddy worked at a gun shop with indoor range. He gave me a 5 gallon bucket full of 40 brass. Just close to 5000 rounds loaded in ammo cans in the basement off that Square Deal when I up graded to a 550.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jack it looks pretty shiney to me. DOM 1890. It has some issues but the bore ain’t one Of them.
I started with a square deal B in 44 mag. Had super Blackhawk knuckle busting son of a sea cook, a Redhawk, and a Marlin. Needed production.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Today's project. Resized to Blackhawk chamber tolerances the next and last batch of 6 - 32-20 brass. Much appreciated Another 70 into the larder. Probably do a different load, no chance to test yet. Used the Dillon Rapid spray lube 500.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

You guys are all happy...my aggravation scale is a 9 out of ten....I spent an hour taking pictures and writing an email for Jays son and my finger hit something and the damm email disappeared....I don't know if it went out or not.

Jay....if it did get to your boy the stock looks shiny...it's not, I wiped it down with oil before I took the pictures.

Gunny....I got your package all done and it going out tomorrow and will pm you the tracking number.

Damm, I'm upset......damm iPads.....touch something and it all goes away and sometimes you write something and the iPad writes something else....I don't have patience for the chit. I need my adopted father to handle the stressful stuff...OLD SAVAGE PAPPA...WHERE YOU BE?

Gotta eat...back in a half hour....Rockin Robin a.k.a. Fred's adopted son.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

That's oil on the stock

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

32-20's....if you don't have one don't talk to me. Gunny....you NEED a 32-20....without a doubt, probably the most "funnist" of calibers.

Factory sealed black powder 1880's

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Whew! I almost lost a friend.
I barely squeaked in with exactly one 32-20.
It's my "I wish" rifle. A 2" longer than standard 73 with a set trigger. Must have been something in its day. It is shootable, but very rough.

Love the 95 bud! I texted Cody but haven't heard back. He is probably dangling from under a CH60 in the middle of nowhere.
Still should answer his old daddy! :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Jack,

Just heard from Cody. He was out on the boat. He got your email and pics.
Thought the 95 looked great.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hi Jay....1:44...thanks bud. ... Hitting the sack. Stay around, Gunny will be up in an hour :D ---da bro
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I OVER slept! Now mad scramble to get out of the house on time!
No I dont have a 32-20 but I do have a pair of 25-20s and a 218 bee so yes I know these are the mostist funnist cartridges after 22 or!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Ha Gunny, I see your 2 25-20’s and a 218 Bee and raise you 2 32-20’s. And a 32 long! Most funnerist
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 am Ha Gunny, I see your 2 25-20’s and a 218 Bee and raise you 2 32-20’s. And a 32 long! Most funnerist
This guy robbed me.......I've bought and sold a lot of old guns over the years and I can count the ones I've missed on one hand...........the reason it don't bother me when I sell one is because I never sell "the last one" always having a replacement....but that 218 Bee hits a nerve........but.......but........I figure it's time to sell some and it couldn't have gone to a better home.......like the 336 prototype......I think about that gun as it was very rare and a top notch shooter on top of it.......

Go Tom.....!!!!......

Well.....I got to go to the post office and mail Gunny's junk and after that the rest of the day is for me........sure is hard getting time to myself these days... :D ....I got TWO checks on the first and another coming in 10 days.......and the funny thing about it is that the only thing I have to do to get those 3 checks is to breathe!....even if I stop breathing the wife gets em.....mmmmmm.......got to watch her....ya know, these Italians can be vindictive on old memories......me and Pete were bad partners in crime........ :D -----6...o....de bro
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

my 218 has a lever and it's a #1.
The 25-20s one is a bolt the other is a mini farquesen so it has a lever too.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My 218 has a lever was made by Marlin AAANNDD has SiX’s DNA on it. Ha.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:31 pm My 218 zhas a lever was made by Marlin AAANNDD has SiX’s DNA on it. Ha.
You bastard! :)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:31 pm My 218 has a lever was made by Marlin AAANNDD has SiX’s DNA on it. Ha.
Ewww !

Well the cabinets are set, crown mouldings are installed, doors are trimmed, base moulding are done. Gotta wait for the tile guy to set the backsplash and we can trim the window.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Personal thoughts...

Having worked with about every commonly available cartridge made from the 1870's on, my personal belief is that the 32-20 is the most funnist cartridge to play with....you can't "work" with the .22 rimfires.........the 32-20 is small capacity, decent bullet weight...(not light like the 25-20 or heavy like the 357/44's) .....is accurate with ANYTHING you put together as long as the bullet fits the groove diameter.........unlike the very finicky 25-20 where a half grain charge up or down will spread groups out like patterns....plus, the MAIN reason is that the 32-20 has a soul, coming from an era when guns were bought for survival, not just shooting at steel targets.

The 357 in a rifle comes close but I cannot warm up to ANY rifle that was made by WW2 axis/ally side switching Italians, big butt Brazilians, primitive Russians, murdering Germans, drunkin inbred Irish, empire greedy English, HUGE egomaniac Montanians, slant eyed bayonet thrusting Japs, smelly and disease ridden Africans, flat faced Chinese, beaners from south of the boarder and their drug infested cousins, the Central Americans, elitist Canadians, snail eating white flag waving French , wannabe English Spaniards, seal killing eskimos, backward Slovaks, camel screwing Arabs, plundering Norwegians, etc...in a nutshell, everyone but me.

Oh! Forgot.......unless it's made in New Haven, Hartford, Ilion, Springfield, or Southport before 1947, it's junk. (My model 65 32-20 was one of the last made ...probably a parts gun in 1947)

Wonder if I would qualify for President or a leader for the ACLU?---6... :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:33 pm Ewww !

Well the cabinets are set, crown mouldings are installed, doors are trimmed, base moulding are done. Gotta wait for the tile guy to set the backsplash and we can trim the window.
Glad to know dat...I was getting ready to go to the post office.
Also glad to see someone is working!-----6
Last edited by Jay Bird on Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Got it Six ! Thanks a bunch, looks like I owe you lunch!
I'm going to prep some H&H cases this weekend!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I deleted the pic...you owe me nuttin...the only thing I ask is for you to give back what you took from Tom's glove box when you guys were talking. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Give back to you or him ? :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Finished loading the 32-20 cases supplied by 6 with the dies he sent with them. Thanks for the help. Now when the ranges open ;-)

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey wait!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey wait? You don't know? Remember the day you and Gunny met? Are you trying to tell me you don't remember the coat he was wearing? All brown and curly? Lots of pockets? Gunny and Jay spent the previous weekend together. (That don't sound too good)

Anyway Pops......screw that liberal area.....come on out to redneck land...a $400 plane ticket and that's all it will cost you. You'll probably have the plane to yourself. We could shoot em up then go out and squeeze some semi soft eastern stuff.

Well, on a serious note I spent the afternoon/early evening loading and shooting 32-20's. My western dad got me into a roll with this cartridge.......3 grains of 231 and a 115 cast shooting out of the giant silencer makes about zero sound. The bullets go over the pond and the geese continue swimming away. The geese laid their eggs as geese mate for life and when the eggs are laid you only see one goose while the other is sitting on the eggs....then they switch so the other can eat. I love watching wildlife.

The peeps will be running around by the first of May and they stick close to mom and dad while the hawks swoop down from time to time for a meal...that sucks but that's nature. I'd kill the hawks but my name would be national news...--6
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Oh Mr32-20 if you were gonna load for a 1890 model 1873 rifle using 110 grain rnfp what do you think you would load for a medium velocity load?
Bastard that I am!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Was reading Elmer Keith in Sixguns regarding the 32-20 in a strong revolver. Upped him a grain on the 2400. Not sure where he got his velocities but we are basically dong what he did.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have to get Jay Bird recognized in the Trust. He could certainly be the advisor on actions regarding certain commodity assets on maximizing value for all concerned.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:55 pm Oh Mr32-20 if you were gonna load for a 1890 model 1873 rifle using 110 grain rnfp what do you think you would load for a medium velocity load?
Bastard that I am!
Mr. Bastard,
(You notice I used the prefix, "Mr."?
One of the best loads in the medium/factory velocity is 4.5 grain of Unique...it's around 11-1150. I won first place at the Ridgeway rifle club on one of their monthly matches with that. An excellent..excellent match load is 3.5 of 231 or 3 grains of bullseye for 1050. . 5.5 gr of Unique is also very accurate for 1400 but is reserved for 1892's or 94 Marlins or heavy revolvers.

You notice I like fast burning powders. I DONT GIVE A F WHAT THE EXPERTS/GUN WRITERS SAY....I do NOT LIKE SLOWER powders unless they are full power such powders as 2400 or 4227.....They shoot excellent in Colt S.A., Ruger 32-20 or Leverguns that handle the higher pressures. I've chronographed enough to know slow to medium pressure loads using slower powders have erratic velocities especially in cold weather or cast bullets, especially light cast bullets like 85-100 gr. I use 115 EXCLUSIVELY....sometimes 100 gr but only with jacketed as the pressures build faster with jacketed.

For all around play, it's very hard to beat 4.5-5 of Unique in any gun.

I see no need to go past 1400 in the 32-20....it why I'm still using brass from the 70's....anything more I'll use a 357. I've shot high pressure 32-20 and they bark like a 30 carbine....takes the fun out of the cartridge and lengthens the brass considerably.

This early Smith that sold new at the Belknap Hardware Store in Kentucky from the year 1906 LOVES 3 of bullseye......

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thank you Jack. I will test 10 each 4.5 4.7 4.9 and 5.0
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very cool shiny Smith.

I exerpted this as it contains velocity comparisons with the powders I might use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok, just ordered a new Leupold 3-9 x 40 for my 450 Bushmaster. This scope will go on my Bushmaster upper- it has the CDS system for factory 450 ammo. Now I'll take the scope that is on that upper off to put on my H&H so I can get it sighted in... now did I already D& T the receiver...? Also have to replace the recoil pad thanks to the mice that ate it while it has sat in my closet for the past 25 years... mouse jihad time !

Speaking of jihads- a squirrel has figured out how to get a full belly by hanging on the feeder. Gonna warm up the RWS today!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good deal Gunny! I like the Leupold 1.5-5x a lot. I also like the 1-4x shotgun scope on an AR. It only weighs 8oz.

Well, the middle kid got his Challenger out of my garage the other day. I guess I can get the Rubicon off the jackstands and out of the back if the garage if I want. Still too early to get it out though.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I took the H&H out of the safe, pulled the action out of the wood so I can fit the new pad. Seems not only did the mice chew it but it was chemically breaking down. Gooooey wasn't the word for it! Could actually smear the pad with finger pressure?! This was a Sorbathane pad. Now I know why they aren't on the market anyone! So on to fitting the new limbsaver, huh, screw holes are too large. Oh now I see the other pad had very large screws, now have to plug the holes... Glue drying now. On to prepping cases, I have 5 or 6 boxes of the old Red box Winchester, refresh my memory on when these were from? All new primed by the way. Also a bag of 100 new. I ran 20 of the latter through the sizer, OAL are all over, ok to the trimmer, nope I don't have a pilot! Amazon- no got, MidWay- special order with 4-6 weeks wait. Midsouth in stock for 3.99& 8.50 to ship plus tax. On the way ! So now I'm in hurry up and wait mode. I Gus's I can now focus on tree rat jihad.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Set up my ground blind, not a minute after I got in a beeman crow magnum found its mark at approximately 900 fps. Just a twitch and a flop- 1 down.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Are those the .22 caliber pellets?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Master Gunny....when the cast bullets arrive load them with 2.5 grains of Bulleye with kapok holding the powder against the primer. Then go shoot the tree rats.....yea....the bullets will still travel so shoot em on the ground.....quiet...you like....

That's something on your recoil pad turning to mush. You would think that after a couple of hundred years playing with rubber and other synthetics they would have the formula down pat.

Fred....I seldom even look at manuals anymore ....I do, don't get me wrong...but 9 times out of ten, I'll look at a case and pull a load outta my little head......staying with mostly the same powders for over 40 years helps...these newer powders are just that...new.....they all want a piece of the action.......sheeeeeeeeettttttt......bullseye, Unique, 2400, 231, 3031,4198, and 4895 will do it all....

Old Win...(Jay) sent some spies over here.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hahaha.......Recon! :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

For me I am going to want some American Select, 380, 4064 and RL19 to go with those. But I know what you mean. On the ones I have loaded a lot for I generally know what the loads should be. But of course your advice on these new ones for me has been a big help.