The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

Just turn off your hearing aids! :lol:
One of my buddies was in the guard unit in Trinidad CO while in school, he had to go to Denver and signed out a bambulance hummer. Of course those of us not in the service were oohing and ahhing over it. Then Bob says yeah get inside and tell me what a 400 mile trip is going to be like on that seat! It was about a pizza box thick and hard as a rock!

Sure wish I had pics of me K turning my truck around on the side of a 14,000 drop off, that was a hair raising trip! Ever try that with 1 foot in the truck 1 hanging out with a standard transmission?! I wasn't just sweating bullets but powder and primers too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok let's see ... I WIN a page-
I'll take a Model 64, that 32 cal Ruger, the Moose Wrecha, and , and.... Naw I don't want your hearing aids! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Next project up is the MR 32-20 brass with the 85 gr Hornady JHP and likely 4.0 gr of 231. Should be about 825 fps.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

For the math folks 4064 is an internally inverted version of 2x 32-20.

And Gman, looks like Sixguy set you up for the win, beware he may "discover" a little known rules twist where he actually wins your stuff ... stay tuned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage Disciple wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:53 am....I'm one of those medieval thinkers and tend to shun everyone and everything that could possibly make me sick.....in other words.....I take no chances....I pretty much enjoy life and I ain't gonna let some low life sneeze on me because he is miserable and well, some people honestly just don't give a F
you know.......the sociopathic M?F. ers that live among us.
Yep.....I've been 'social distancing' for half a century.... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah he does seem to get stuff dont he?!
Yup Doc I've been doing the same for the past 30 .
4064 , I've used it but never found it to be a really good powder for the rifles I've used it in. 4895 by IMR has been a winner for me but boy how I dislike extruded powders anymore!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is a 30-06 target. I think is may be the most flexible. 4895 is a bit too fast for that but depends on the calibers you load for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The old adage is if a 30-06 won’t shoot 165-168 grain bullet with 57 grains of 4064 you need a new gun.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

It's pretty much common knowledge that the U.S. military developes cartridges with the brightest minds in research and development ......and IMR 4895 was developed for the grand old 30-06 to be used in any rifle in any temperature. 4064, like 4350 is probably better for the heavier weights in the 168+ range.

While I used IMR 4895 for a billion years I have since changed to H-4895 simply because it meters better. I probably burn up 8-12 pounds a year, mostly in the '06, .308 and lots of it in the .223.

It's a free country last I heard....I've come to the firm belief that most gun writers have become whores for the shooting industry and don't believe we need or want 6,934,736 different kinds of powder which the gunwriters promote.I could be wrong on that but it's a common occurance to see a writer promote a new powder saying it's better than anything ever produced about the same way they promoted 300 RUM and a host of super short magnums to be the wave of the future and we all know where they went. I let ALL of the gun mags expire except the American Rifleman. For the last 20 years unless a rifle was made in Montana it was second rate. Had enough......

On to fun things. Worked with the 32-20 Low Wall some more.....starting to show promise. One ragged hole at 50 meters is accomplished easily and on command and I'm closing in on consistent 1" groups at 100 meters. Getting flyers but I'll get that figured out.

The set up out in the shooting shack

50 meters...three groups on one target...I used the corners of the black for an aiming point. The plain base Lyman shot the best at 50.

3 grains of 231 seems to be a nice compromise.......pushing it to 1100 will undoubtedly enhance accuracy. Not bad for a bit over 900 fps

100 meters......ahhhhh one group of each dont tell much.

Out to 145 YARDS....not meters.....about 3"...3 hits on the turkey with the Lyman P.B. and 5 on the pig with gas checked bullets.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Father Fred,
I noticed you are calling Gunny "Gman".....mmmmmmm I believe that nomenclature is reserved for Melvin Purvis or J.Edgar Hoover. :D

I thought this whole thing about the virus was crazy....they said it's easily transferable...now my computer caught it! (Ya like that, I made it up) the target you posted...29 years old! It looks perfect! Look at my raggedy targets from today!

Your disciple----6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wrote a dissertation on the 30-06, 270, 6 mm, 7-08 and ... bullet weights, powder choices and western shooting but it disappeared in the electronic mist, another time perhaps, but, J Ed was light in the loafers, no claim by him then.

I shorten things by impulse so Gman it will probably be Sixster.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

4064 in the 99 300 Savage.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred...I see your two targets are 7 days apart in 1991. Both days were Sundays......you were a weekend warrior!--6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

'Link may be broken or content removed' PLUS I'm not on facebook!

That Lyman looks like a keeper at 50, seems to open up at 100 though. The NEI appears better at 100. Its always interesting to develop a load and then wring it out and find that it's good at one distance but carp at another. My 257 ackley doesn't like 100 but is less that a 2" gun at 200. Never could find a load at 100 .

Yup he was quite the gun toting ballerina as was one of hitlers top generals!

Still waiting for my Model 64 to be delivered.

Thick as pea soup out there this morning!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I know Gunny. I thought the mail may be running slow or not be reliable, so I sent two just to be sure.
Hope you're ok with a 20" instead of two in 24". :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sure thing bud- I figured it was the mailman, they are slower than normal now that the dumbocrates have given them MORE taxpayer money!

Did you get more snow ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah but not bad this time. They upped it to 5-8 inches yesterday but we only have a couple right now. Still snowing but I think it will taper off.
Thank God! Last week they said the same thing and we got over a foot. I don't mind snow at all but once it has gone enough so the riding is about over, I don't want any more. Still good riding up north but I don't want to haul.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Jay Bird, very astute of you. Yes, every Sunday morning maybe 40 weeks a year for about 10 years. Called it the Church of the Western Skies. But you may be psychic also. Shooting buddy named Jay was along on most of the trips. Carl's Jr for a Sunrise Sausage sandwich then off the range. He was interested in a cartridge called ... you guessed it, the Jay Bird. All he really ever shot was an 8 mm Mauser WW I era but .323 bore.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ray's gun is a Model 99 Savage EG vintage 1954. It is the old Savage I came here to find out about. Has 2.5 Leupold on it. You had to pick a moniker to register so I just wrote in Old Savage.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Jay wrote software for the F16 simulator at Edwards AFB. He was very astute on ballistics. He was one of those inward geniuses. Didn't talk until he was five years old. Very eccentric in his habits and outlook.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Remember Rockin Robin on Jaybird Street?

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

See....all the mindless fun we have here....no negativity.....nothing of any intelligence that requires you to think or to be politically correct. A very fine group of boys and their toys.

Well, Jay Bird says, "who? What Me Worry". :D

Gunny..yup! On the bullets....but here's the problem.....I can't shoot like I used to. I can't see the crosshairs as sharp no matter how much I focus the scope..it's good, but not like it used to be. I have issues holding consistently....it seems like the problems I had dealing with metallic sights has transformed into scopes......sight and neurological issues....the doc told me that about five years ago it was gonna happen.

I've said it 50 times right here....there's only one guy at the club who regularly shoots who is over 70....that I know of....F! Shooting is the only thing I'm interested in.
Last edited by Jay Bird on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Rocking Robin! Toot......toot, toot.....late fifties?

You guys hear that new news? This chit ain't gonna peak for another month.....dang country is gonna go broke....I WANT MY FREE CHECKS!!!! :D well....I have been paying into the system since 1968......Geeze, Me, Griff and Old Savage were working and Gunny, Jay and Tom were not even Gods children yet.----JB
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well....we have drama here.....UPS man came down the driveway and I greeted him in standard fashion....didn't touch the guy, just a friendly wave of the hand .....came in and mom reamed me out....blah...blah....you jerk! ....blah....get out of the house!.....made me soak myself in alcohol...and not the kind of alcohol I like..........sitting here waiting for the cast iron frying pan to come flying my way...... :D

Drama #2......my daughter, "Miss High Education" called saying her sweetheart, "Mr Money Bags" has a fever....mmmm......don't come here!!!!!!!

More drama......mom just ORDERED me to put the yellow chain at the end of the driveway.

Unfounded paranoia is creeping in.........stage 5 is in high gear in society....closing in on stage 6, maybe 7.

Jay Bird
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My neighbor, the leukemia survivor, has just gotten out of a rehabilitation center on Friday, last night her sister died! The sisters daughter now has to quarantine for 2 weeks because she was in the hospital. Apparently the deceased needs to be cremated as no funerals are allowed. Said the hospital was packed with gurneys and people.
I'm starting to wish I had a nice cave in the middle of the Rockies to hunker down in!

Well the siding is done! I tell ya I'm not all that comfortable being 15 feet off the ground on a 2' wide aluminum pick!!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny.....you do have a cave.......your very fortunate to have your own house, lots of ground, your furry buddies and no moochers trying to weasel their way in. I feel the same.......could you imagine having to live in a drug infested disease ridden, low life city project? Griff probably has it the best....takes him 5 minutes just to get to the mail box.....look at all the "caves" Old Savage can go to......over to the Playboy Mansion, then the gated golf course, take a dip in the Olympic pool that's chlorinated, into the Bentley for a drive down Skyline Drive over to see Jay Leno, leisurely afternoon shooting at he Beverly Hills Trap Club........Jay, on the other hand lives in a climate where not much can survive so no diseases there and Tom, well, is doing what no one else wants to do....stay healthy Tom! Your a great cash cow for unwanted guns! :D

Jay Bird......tapping on the license plates.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I suppose you are right about that Six- er Jay Bird ! However I doubt Leno is letting ANYONE through the door!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well fellas, here they are ... the Jay Bird 32-20s, Jay Bird cases, Jay Bird dies - generously supplied to the Buckeye 32-20/32 Mag project. What a guy. But wait there's more

The reloading set up. ;-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Details ... 85 gr Hornady JHP, 4.0 gr. W231.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Geeeezzzeeee...it's always easy to spot the rich/professional types......jacketed bullets, each one wiped down till it shines, perfect seating depths and crimps......sheeeeeeeeeettt....at 6:00 (gets dark about 7:15) I get a burst of energy and a brain storm.....remembered about 500 commercial cast bullets for the 32-20 sized .313.....RAN downstairs and grabbed 50 empties, sprayed em and 8 minutes later I had 50 rounds ready to go.......already had the Piggyback set up for 32-20 and the powder measure was set for 3 grains.......... a quick trip to "Sixgun's Gun Club" out back and tested em.......very good but not as good as the gas checked ones.......shot up a mess of clay birds at 145 yards.

Fred....if me and you were buddies who lived near each other I'd have a room in your fancy high fallutin condo set up redneck style ......1"x 10" x 4' rough cut pine nailed to the wall with 20 penny nails, a plastic bucket for trash, butter dishes for case trays...sheeeetttt......and when we were done YOU would be the #1 shooter in the LA area.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well JB, happy here to have completed the first stage of our project from seems like aaa while ago.

Now guru guy. .. two with split case necks, should I shoot em anyway?

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Waitin' on tractor parts to mow...due in at dealer on Wednesday... so tomorrow it ain't supposed to rain and I'm going to the RANGE! All I gotta do now is get up before noon, load up the truck with ammo, guns, cleaning stuff, rests and brass bags... BTW, does anyone want some of my brass bags? For the past 30 years, whenever I wore out a pair of Levis, I cut the lower leg off, hemmed 'em up and bingo! Instant brass bag!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea...shoot em Fred......what are they, 1/16-1/8" long? Low pressure loads are Ok.....the problem with slightly split necks in low pressure rounds comes down to a crimping issue......they may not hold in a tube magazine gun or in a revolver, the bullets may "walk out" while your shooting other rounds.

BIG splits are another issue altogether, especially in high pressure ammo. In addition to the crimp issue there's a possibility of the case splitting to the point where you could get a rupture and a gas blow back or worse yet, a head separation which is dangerous in a handgun......I had one one time shooting someone else's $5,000 Calvary Colt 45 using BP....damm near blew off the gate ...gas was all over my face.......in a rifle, it's no big deal.

On another note, WE WERE LIED TOO a while back when "they" told us masks were not helpful. I depend on the EXPERTS to tell me the truth on matters I know little about. They told us that lie so we would not buy them so hospitals, etc. could get them.
WHAT ELSE ARE THEY LYING ABOUT? I personally think this thing is gonna get real bad with tens of thousands of people...and pets....dying. 2 miles down the road the National Guard is converting the giant world renowned Glen Mills Boys School INTO A HOSPITAL. ITS COMING, NO B.S....They ain't telling us the severity of it all. People around here are starting to spaz out. Anxiety levels are starting to climb...wait till the food starts getting scarce.

Because I had TWO uninvited visits in the last week I decided to chain the end of the driveway. F ing people have no common sense.....coming over without a phone call....even with a phone call, where's the common sense? STAY THE F HOME YOU STUPID RETARDED IMBECILE. Life is hard enough with all this S going on and I have to deal with people who have the IQ of a stalk of celery on top of it.

F. It...I'm pizzed...going downstairs to load 32-20's.-----6. Or Jay Bird ...whatever the F I call myself
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Stay cool.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw on fox app that this could be air borne! Of course no one knows for sure. I'm no conspiracy nut but I'm really thinking the slope heads made this, and they are waging war against us. The government should have stopped all commercial flights,cruise ships, slow boats from china from landing on our shores. If you are an American on foreign soil you should have stayed there! Well now it's here, we have to deal with it so keep your heads down, keep your powder dry!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Back to the 32-20, I compare powders a lot in reloading. Speer #12 lists 9 powders only one of which I have used in pistols. Where as, Speer #11 lists 28 powders, 9 of which I have used in pistol loading and ... the loads are for the Contender so they are up to the strength of the Ruger but also moderate loads.

And yes Jay Bird, code name Rockin Robin, they certainly are nice looking loads with shiny bullets.

I think I will save the two split ones as future reference for die settings.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:50 am I saw on fox app that this could be air borne! Of course no one knows for sure. I'm no conspiracy nut but I'm really thinking the slope heads made this, and they are waging war against us. The government should have stopped all commercial flights,cruise ships, slow boats from china from landing on our shores. If you are an American on foreign soil you should have stayed there! Well now it's here, we have to deal with it so keep your heads down, keep your powder dry!
Or, how's this?
WE made it.
They stole or were given it.
They released it on themselves to avoid suspicion.
Then released a modified, more deadly strain on everyone else.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

We will never know where it came from and yes, entirely possible it came from us, planted on slope head land to make the chinks look bad and to destroy Trump as if it came from us. No doubt the deep state did it. Who knows, after it's all gone, there will be a million boooks out "proving" where it came from. Probably be a Cold War or even a few "throws and takes" between us and the flat face people. In the meantime, Father Fred and I just want to shoot and talk about the 32-20. :D

Ever look at a chinaman from a side profile? They look like someone smacked em in the face with a 1" x 12" with a baseball hat for a handle. :D my wife despises the asians more than any other people. They don't bother me as I see them as industrious and self supporting......it's the Indians and Pakistani's I don't like....

I may joke about black people but I've gotten along better with them than whitey...I always knew where black guys were coming from. They are mostly straight up people. Two black guys were in my gunroom and I don't take many people there

OK Pops, where were we? ....oh! The 32-20.....I know it's not scientific but I have my own set of rules when choosing a powder as 9 times out of 10 if any powder is used correctly within it's burn rate, case capacity, using the proper bullet weight, crimp, and barrel length it will all be "accurate". The MOST important criteria is the bullet and how it fits the throat/lead/groove dia.

FIRST, I choose a desired velocity and bullet and weight of the bullet and a desired purpose......e.g..... ...being able to shoot out back without causing alarm.....I want to keep the velocity at match velocity which is 1040-1080. In order to keep small extreme spreads you need a faster powder with light loads...so I'll choose anything from bullseye to Herco, with 231, a.a #2 or 5, or Unique in between. I'll use any bullet to my choosing.....I just want to make the gongs go "gong".

Elmer Keith said during the war the only powders they could get were shotgun powders and he made them work.

Long range requires a slow burning powder for maximum velocity along with a bullet "heavy for caliber" for the ballistic coefficient that minimizes air drag and/or wind.

Rule of thumb...fast powders for low velocity and any bullet for play and slow powders and big bullets for hunting, long range.

I laugh like crazy watching guys using 22 grains of 2400 and a heavy bullet in our handgun/rifle 100 yard Silhouette matches in the 44 magnum ........ :D We are only knocking over metal animals at short range.....I use the 44 magnum loaded with a 200 grain bullet and 7.5 grains of 231 and 9 grains of Unique and a 250 Keith for the heavy Rams....

I getting something to eat....I dropped off a few members of the deep state.-----Jay Bird...a.k.a. Rockin Robin
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Next project will be .45 Colt, 255 gr SWC and likely 7.1 gr 231.

And what do you know ... a logo.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Never worked much with the 45 Colt........NO cartridges are inaccurate...it's the guns they come in and the 45 Long Colt, like the 44-40 always seem to have tolerances all over the place. The 32-20 and the 38-40 are very easy to work with. I have about 40 sizing dies for cast bullets....and they all get used.

I have worked with around 60 cartridges .......some are problematic.....others like the 38 spl, 32-20, 30-30, and any military cartridge are just plain easy...R.R.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Rolls Royce........we see them on the road around here from time to time...there's always a Wyeth or DuPont behind the wheel.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I will be basically duplicating this load for this old Three. Screw with the same bullet. Don't have any Green Dot but W231 looks like a close match. I have new Starline brass.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well we are being told that we are going to be working from home until May at least. I believe you guys are correct and we ain’t seen nothin yet. STAY THE FIRETRUCK HOME. On another note, after the work I did to the mustang last week, I have ordered parts for the wife’s king ranch, a tie rod end for the super duty and all the bearings and seals for the front suspension on my old race car(1966 mustang with 19.5 wide tires and 2 stages of nitrous) so with the time off I will at least be getting something done. Also casting bullets and loading rounds at night.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Don't sound like a bad deal FW.
For us, well, we are just too "essential" to stay home.
Of course, they are going to check our temperature every day. If its above 99.5 with a notoriously inaccurate IR scanner, they send us home. Then we have to "prove" our way back in by seeing our doctor. Like they are going to see us over a 99.5 "fever" with no symptoms. Meanwhile, we have to use all our vacation and personal time.
Yes sir, this is a great opportunity for our first rate company.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Sorry to hear that Jay. My gunsmiths day job feels they are essential also and if someone feels sick use your sick days first, seems to be the response. Some businesses don’t treat their people right then wonder why there isn’t much loyalty to the brand.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

You guys have to work at home!!!!!!!! WTF?????!!!!!! Chit...so do I but at least your getting paid for it. Yesterday and today I've had to work at "Sixgun's Gun Club" testing out multiple 32-20 ammo. About the only good thing is that I'm the only member so I can always get a bench.

Jay.....that sucks buddy.....so they send you home to see a doctor that won't see you in person......that's how it is here.....if your bad bad bad they tell ya to go to the hospital where your sure to catch something and probably die. Something to think about...can you take a voluntary lay off?

Think about another alternative....your financially well off...wife works...blah..blah
.... ......,(I'm as serious as a cancer diagnosis)......we all know how much companies care about us......I'd fix those phuckers......get an inverter for your truck...... Get a hair dryer......plug it in right before you get tested.........get your forehead hot.....(Still SERIOUS).......get sent home.......report back you can't get an appointment in person and the doctor told you to stay home.......STAY "SICK"......collect benefits and enjoy life and lessen your aggravation and possibility of getting sick for real. In other words go out on personal medical, NOT hurt on the job.

In my 44 years at the same company I may have missed 6-10 days due to being sick...was out for longer periods due to a few accidents but I was the guy who was always there to do the job.....if I had known enough then as I do now my name would be changed to Kunta Kinte. So.....use your sick days and vacation...big deal...it's only one year...enjoy it.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's ok guys. Thanks for the support.
Yeah, don't you worry. I know I will "get mine". :D
You may find this hard to believe......but I can be one subversive, miserably vindictive enemy. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yep the boss will always find a way to stab ya in the back! Take it from me I KNOW!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There is a solution. Start your own business.