The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

You sure do!
Today you can take your pick of
1- a new snow shovel

2- a soon to be determined veterinary bill

3- gun barer for Six at the nationals

No need to rush into your final decision take your time as OS and Six both get up about the same time .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey...hey...hey........"Mr Buffalo" didn't win nuttin'. I had Old Savage fix it to where he was put back a page....you owe me Gunny.

"Lack of a defined winter" is the best terminology that I've heard that fits the perfect description of this "winter".....for me, it's a royal PITA as I have to start 4 fires a day.......when it's real deal cold, I just throw in a few logs every four hours or so.

Gunny will be the official "gun bearer"......Jay will distribute the proper ammo..(like a golf caddy does) for the proper discipline and animal I'm shooting.....Old Savage will be the score keeper...(that's expensive)...Griff will haul all my stuff to Ridgway and Tom will be in charge of providing meals. Claro and Parker will be in charge of security.

Sheeeeeeeeeetttttttt......6 months from now.......let's see if I live that long.

Ok.....it's cold..34......got down to high twenties last night.......

-7?????????? No dat one..--6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Umm hey now hold on there- how am I supposed to be the bearer and fix what breaks during the match?!

Parker will be good at security, she barks a lot. Claro would just be looking for someone to throw a dummy for her to fetch!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey man WTH?
I know I was tired and all.....but I swear I got the page. It's a conspiracy.......yeah. Everyone is out to get old Buffalo Jay! :D
Oh well, whatayagonnado?
Now let's see. Ammo distribution. Yes. That sounds ok. Maybe if I wear "the coat" there will be some "opportunities" to get some good stuff. Being at a big, high falutin' place like that. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm with ya ol buddy- I SAW you had won this page! However with the shenanigans or should this be considered a quid pro quo I WON this page !!??
So what do I win ?
Oh well off to the chiropractor!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ok...here's the scoop........the pages have been lengthened .....Gunny paid off the server so he could win page 53.....he awarded himself Jays ice shack and the cartridge belt buckle.---6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WooHoo! I got the new studs (not the type Gunny needs), for my trailer. I decided that since my farm flat bed needed new tires... I'd just use the ones off my p/u, they were fairly new... Ooops, wheels are a 6-lug chevy bolt pattern, trailer is 5... not problem right? New hubs from Redneck Trailer are $140. All set, right? Wrong! Offset is all wrong. The new tires rub the inside of the tire against the farm trailer frame! Ok, so a spacer is in order... $160 later the spacers in... Okay, all ready, right? Wrong, again! Need longer studs... $350 later the longer studs are in. Now, I'm ready right? Wrong for the umpteenth time! Studs are too big around to fit in the hubs... Gotta take off .015 around the head, .05 from around the shank, and another .002 from the threads to the knurled shank that holds the stud in the hub! Another $125 for cutting 25 new studs to the machinist! Jay should live closer!

Why didn't I just buy new tires? One wheel wouldn't hold air, kept going flat! So now, my trailers been up on jack stands for about 2 months, and it'll be another week for the machinist to get around to my small job! But, hey, I'll have 5 new tires & wheels (aluminum mags) on my farm trailer... it'll be the classiest farm trailer in 10 counties! Tires will be heavier rated that what came on it... 29 years ago!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Dont ya just love it when a plan comes together! :D I'm glad to see that others have my kind of luck!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Griff wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:03 pm WooHoo! I got the new studs (not the type Gunny needs), for my trailer. I decided that since my farm flat bed needed new tires... I'd just use the ones off my p/u, they were fairly new... Ooops, wheels are a 6-lug chevy bolt pattern, trailer is 5... not problem right? New hubs from Redneck Trailer are $140. All set, right? Wrong! Offset is all wrong. The new tires rub the inside of the tire against the farm trailer frame! Ok, so a spacer is in order... $160 later the spacers in... Okay, all ready, right? Wrong, again! Need longer studs... $350 later the longer studs are in. Now, I'm ready right? Wrong for the umpteenth time! Studs are too big around to fit in the hubs... Gotta take off .015 around the head, .05 from around the shank, and another .002 from the threads to the knurled shank that holds the stud in the hub! Another $125 for cutting 25 new studs to the machinist! Jay should live closer!

Why didn't I just buy new tires? One wheel wouldn't hold air, kept going flat! So now, my trailers been up on jack stands for about 2 months, and it'll be another week for the machinist to get around to my small job! But, hey, I'll have 5 new tires & wheels (aluminum mags) on my farm trailer... it'll be the classiest farm trailer in 10 counties! Tires will be heavier rated that what came on it... 29 years ago!!!
Griff my friend.....you KNOW I'm laughing...but...as an aged adult I'm happy to admit I've done that 472 times. Forgot how many times I tried to save $6 and it ended up costing me $600....yea....can laugh about it now.....

Didn't the spacers come with studs?

Well....bad luck for you and good luck for me.....I ran out a couple of hundred of these....the mould is from the fifties..180 gr Loverin design.....it was big back in the day but is a PITA to cast....so many grooves you got to beat the hell out of the handle pivot to get the bullets to fall from the mould if your using a hard alloy. You can't see it but it's a tapered bullet...302 to 312

Tested it out back at 50 and 100 using an 1898 Krag with the forward mounted scope......about 3/4 at 50 and 2" MAX at 100 METERS.....Im ready for the cast bullet match on Saturday.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You were much more productive that me today... although it was cold, I sanded a couple of places on the roof of my Dually where the paint was chipped off, and some rust had begun. got it sanded, then primered. Found a DeWalt battery powered 5" orbital sander that uses the same battery as the rest of my 20V stuff! Man is that nice, to electric or air cords draggin' around and tripping ya! If I get a day where the temps are a little above the 60ºF mark, I'll sand the primer and color paint... But, at least the rust is stopped! Next up, the front of the hood!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

200 gr? Those work in the BAR too? Latest Rifleman magazine has an article on the BAR.

It's like a warm spring day ( in Maine) here this morning at 15*!

I scheduled Claro's surgery yesterday, March 4th she gets her knee done.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! Whattayaknow.....it's 15 here too..... 15 BELOW that is.
Guess I'll start the truck a little early before I leave work.

Wishing Claro best if luck buddy!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

HEY JACK how much 5744 in a 30-30 with a gc 170 grain bullet. Looking for a hunting load.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:03 am HEY JACK how much 5744 in a 30-30 with a gc 170 grain bullet. Looking for a hunting load.
21 grains 5744 and a 160-180 gr.....somewhere around 1800 without checking my notes.....remember, a bullet traveling 1200 will kill just as good as one going 2000.....the extra velocity only gives you more range and a bigger divit in the earth. 19 grains is my Silhouette load.....the most accurate next to 7 grains of Unique which is match velocity...1080.

15 below!!!! Amazing! Only once in my life did I experience that was in Colorado elk huntin....the air was still and crystallized with sparkles from the sun......it was 20 here this morning and I forgot to get up around 4 to throw another log in th stove....dang house was 58 when I rolled outta bed at 10-----10:15........went to bed early..around 12:30.

Wooooooo ..Millers gunshop called last night.....one of my 788's in 308 sold....going down tonight to convert the sales of the gun into H-4895........about one of the only good things about getting old is that I can shoot as much as I want to from every gun that I have and it don't cost me nuttin!....when I sell a gun I usually make a decent profit.

Whew!....when I got up an hour or so ago I blew a 30 second fanny burp......even the dog was looking at me funny. (Mom was in the other room as she don't condone that type of behavior.--6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You 3 boys !!! Jay Jack and Tom need to start putting my stuff back where you found it !!
Where is my spool of thread I use for leather work huh? Well who had it last?

I decided to bite the bullet and invest in new nail apron, Occidental leather company. High dollar stuff! I didn't like the way the hammer loop was set up, too high. So I cut the stitching, punched new holes and set it as a drop holster- I mean loop. Now to stitch it all back together and you guys have lost my thread !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

And..... it got worse. You can see the hoar frost on the trees on the other side of the river. There is some faster water here coming into town that doesn't freeze.
Up on the Big Black river up north it was 34 below. Nippy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You better stop and get gas, 99 mi range!

Neat picture of the frost!

Still cant find my leather tools! Had to order more thread- amazon delivery tomorrow... just cant beat em.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha I did Gunny. Can't leave it low like that this time of year. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey I just found the orignal headstamp! I can across this years ago in Pulaski NY while salmon fishing. When the fishing got slow I would look for fossils.
20200221_165459.jpg
As you can see this is the original CCI headstamp!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! What do you know? Cool Gunny.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny.....I know where all your leather stuff is.....it's in your S & M closet! :D

Jay.....unbelievable.....just showed mom.......she said "no way would I live there"---- :D

Got to go and head down Millers Sporting Goods to collect my loot.......we can't eat until I get the money from the gun....probably pick up a pizza on the way home......thin, half cheese, single serving....things are tough here....we were ready to eat the dog...--6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Now see, that's where you lost me. I know there ain't no way you guys are gonna eat the dog......no way.
Maybe a neighbor......but not the dog. :D

Haha I think the same thing when I go south. :D
To me, it's beautiful here. I would go north or west, but there are few places. I saw more country last summer than I thought I'd ever see in my life. Some of it was just incredible. I will try and get back to some and spend more time.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hot dog Jay!!!! Hot dog, not a real dog! :D

So...I go down to the gun shop to pick up my loot and two guys who will be at the club tomorrow are there...I tell them, "yo dudes, it's going to be 20 degrees in the am....they say, "so".....me..I ain't going.....them, "we'll miss you" . Me...your 55,I'm 65...those 10 years are a big difference." Them....."we are still going."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Why Jack, I'm going to a match tomorrow... and you're still a youngster... you should be out setting an example! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Griff wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:34 pm Why Jack, I'm going to a match tomorrow... and you're still a youngster... you should be out setting an example! :P
You think your funny do you???? What's the temps down there....84??????? :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Man, those temperatures would frost your hoars. I guess it happens when you are below the lime. OK, I am tired and reaching far for goofy weather references. Hoarfrost is where moisture in the air goes directly from a gas to a solid without the liquid stage. It is also known as deposition. Sublimation is going from a solid to a gas without being a liquid in between. The scientist in me finds that fascinating. In the far NorthWest, a pogonip fog is deposition. It has to be really cold.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six you should get yourself a heater body suit. They are used by hunters everywhere it gets cold. You wear them like a sleeping bag with sleeves. I have a different brand, IWOM, and can sit in very cold temps with minimal layers. Then you can go to every match all winter long. Throw a couple hand warmers into the mix and you would be set!

When I lived in CO it was alway below zero at thanksgiving but never stayed that cold for long. It was cold enough here to do the toss a cup of hot water in the air and it went to hoar fog. Neat trick.

Well 24 here, I'm going bird hunting ! Looks like me and another guy this morning. Parker won't have to work too hard today.

Found another stud, this one in OK!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

piller wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:24 am Man, those temperatures would frost your hoars. I guess it happens when you are below the lime. OK, I am tired and reaching far for goofy weather references. Hoarfrost is where moisture in the air goes directly from a gas to a solid without the liquid stage. It is also known as deposition. Sublimation is going from a solid to a gas without being a liquid in between. The scientist in me finds that fascinating.
Thanks Piller.......I've only experienced hoarfrost a couple of times but it is a strange look....sparkly crystals in the air......when elk hunting I was more excited at that than I was hunting. Well, they have a name for it....neato

One of my favorite channels in the science channel....always something new to learn......I like "How it's Made".....I've put many of the items I learned on that to daily projects.----6

Gunny..........a person will only endure the nasty outside environment if he is really enjoying what he is doing.....I've been in this competition game for pushing 50 years......been there and done dat......I've said this before, I travel around Pa in competitive shooting and I don't see many people over 70 doing it anymore.....my time is getting short....--6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:39 am
Griff wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:34 pmWhy Jack, I'm going to a match tomorrow... and you're still a youngster... you should be out setting an example! :P
You think your funny do you???? What's the temps down there....84??????? :D
Well... I overslept... it was 33º @3am, supposed to reach 56º for a high today. Oh well, I can load ammo today instead.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya Six, I used to shoot all winter long. Then I quit shooting in the cold, then I got into the club and now I can walk and shoot ditch chickens- best of everything!!
I sure would not want to try doing fine trigger work in the cold, I dont shoot with gloves and cold steel sucks heat out of flesh way too fast !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I shoot in the cold cause....... well......I wouldn't shoot half the year if I didn't. :D
I do find it very good practice for keeping your concentration under difficult conditions. It also is an excellent test of a firearms reliability. If it will run in the cold, it will run period.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

May have found a fox red stud right here in my back yard!! Well not right here but less than 2 hours away. Down in your neck of the woods Six- how far are you from Berlin NJ ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

About 40 miles....might as well be 4,000 miles....I refuse to drive or even step foot in Jersey. Nothing personal.....last time I was there it cost me $150 back in 1978 for a speeding ticket. In those days $150 was a weeks take home pay....

Well.......long range benchrest .22 1/5 scale Silhouette match tomorrow.......I'm going! 80 shot match...we shoot a 40 shot match before lunch and another 40 after lunch....the aggregate wins....last time I shot a 46 using a 111 year old Winchester Low Wall........winner was a woman with a 61. It's tough........those animals are little and it's hard to see them without a scope.

I figure that Jay wouldn't have a problem shooting in the cold with that special coat he has.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya, I wouldn't expect you to meet me, was just wondering. I really don't know the lower part of the state or its relationship to your area.

Man what a rotten nights sleep! Must have woke up 3 or 4 times. Then when I got out of bed my right knee is on fire!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I slept the best I have in a year. Wow! The curse of working nights. Normally, I don't sleep more than 3 or 4 hours.

Hey! That could be a match. The "Buffalo Coat Match". The one with most guns after the match is over wins. No need to score the shooting.
It is harder to shoot with a lot of clothing on I think. Especially if you have to wear gloves.
One thing I can tell you, when you shoot in extreme cold, the AK47 makes a lot more sense as to why it is designed the way it is. You can run it with mittens on. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just a young man walking his goat near the Frolic Room in Hollywood, nothing unusual.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I play my best golf at 108° or over. Probably more supple.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Pantages theater History of Simon and Garfunkel.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

What is Simon and Garfunkle?
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That would be who.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

piller wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:29 pm What is Simon and Garfunkle?
Just a couple liberals that spent their whole lives in la la land.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looked them up. O.S., they most certainly are NOT The Who. I had heard Sounds of Silence. Never once listened to it all the way through. I changed channels or turned the radio off.
D. Brian Casady
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Geeze...I go to the club today and Jay has a new kind of match.....something to do will how many guns you can stuff in a buffalo coat.....I like that!!!.........Fred has a pic with some goofy dude with a goat (he's an Arab and the goat is his wife).....and den a pic of two lovely ladies with class......and den...and den..Simon and garfunkle? I'll keep my mouth shut on those liberal tooters..

I got DESTROYED today..believe it was the lowest score of the day.....wasn't me, well, it wasn't at first.......the bore of the 1885 Low Wall was building up lead and throwing my shots just out of moa accuracy which you need to hit these little animals....as soon as about 10 shots are fired..after a judicious brushing....I'll get about 5+ rds that have the gilt accuracy needed and then it becomes a regular shooter......I got disgusted with cleaning it so I just shot most of the 80 shot match with a dirty bore.....wound up with a total score of 22 x 80 when top man got a 65 x 80.....

Then, my BIL with a heavy barreled target 10-22 didn't do much better....Geeze.....disgusted...wasted day......you want to hear the best part of the day...and this is for real...no b.s.................

In our heated range house we were all gathered up before the match...about 25-30 guys and two gals....
signing up, bs, etc.......the room is about 20' x 30'......there is a tiny bathroom .......anyway, I went in the bathroom for a Number 2 and as soon as I released it I knew there was gonna be trouble........I thought I was at an oil refinery.....really bad...

When I opened the bathroom door to mingle with the other people, two or three guys standing near the door gasped.....and they were not joking......the others caught on to what was happening and the other people near the bathroom door were screaming, pulling their wool hats over their noses exclaiming...WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???!!!!.....At that point only a couple of the people knew it was me and they didn't say nothing as to the identity of the gas producer.......for real......I never saw so many people run at once to get out of there....I was running with them.......when we got outside, the people were talking saying things like, "whoever did that must be rotting inside".....one guy said he couldn't go home with the clothes he had on.......I agreed saying, "what kind of a pig would do that with so many people in there?"

Well, karma must have got me and given me the score I did get.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Somehow when I read your 'this is for real...no bs ' I had that sneaking suspicion is was going that way...

Sorry about your score but maybe you really did step on karma's toes! :D
So did you have dinner with Mr Taggart last night ? Do we have to start calling you Mongo ? :lol:

Tomorrow we start gutting the kitchen at that national historic house where George slept. Saw something about how ol GW was never to be out ranked and was posthumously promoted to 6 star general. Dunno if that is true or not.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep.... Karma.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Piller, you must have spent your life in a cave. Pay attention. That was who not Who. You just think it is funny to be obtuse?

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Seriously, I did look them up. I am one who changes channels or turns off the radio if something boring comes on. I have never once listened to more than about one verse of any of Simon and Garfunkle's songs. I have never ever listened to one of their songs all the way through. You may like them, but they are really annoying to me. No need to live in a cave in order to change channels so that you don't listen to a song you find annoying.
D. Brian Casady
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Holy smokes Six. I don't even know what to say. :shock:
Sounds pretty nasty.

Hey guys. Check out this obituary from a "local". I don't get the paper but a buddy told me about it. I bet the wardens were grossed out. Guy sounds like quite a ch.
https://www.centralmaine.com/2020/02/20 ... a-shibles/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Piller, don't know quite what to think regarding your level of musical ignorance. Out of curiosity, what music do you like?

Does this apply generally to your intake of the world?

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey Jay....what is it with the old timer?......sounds like a good ole boy to me.....19 deer and all other peoples tags! I know a guy like that. My in laws had a guy...who I know very well who brought over FIFTY deer one year and most of the time around 30 deer all with other peoples tags. Game wardens watch this guy close but there's nothing they can do.

In the obit did you see where he said "do you do that in your house...take it outside..........funny..I wonder if he meant when people fanny burp.

One thing for sure Old Savage.....while I'm not a fan of Simon and Garfunkle, I'll take them ANYTIME over The Who....those child raping punks...can't stand The Who. S & G was just not my style of music...I always liked hand banging music.