The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea Gunny.....some things just never get better in spite of what others say. Three weeks and 13 years ago my dad died....seemed like it was yesterday...we were real deal buddies and I owe my life long passions to him.

Well, I fired up the Kubota to clean up the dredgings..... still too muddy..... got started and 15 minutes later fighting the mud and other aggravations here comes my BIL......"I saw you out here on the tractor so I figured I'd see what your up to". Ya know, just because I'm outside is no phucking invitation to come over here and take up my time is what I wanted to say. Gave him 15 minutes than started the tractor back up.

People wonder why I hate people.---6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wow.....after an aggravating day a silver lining comes to me in the form of THREE IN A ROW!!! Wonder what I'll win!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well since yesterday got cut short due to envelopes stuffing. I went back today and my 1941 39A really likes the CCI standard velocity with the CCI clean subsonic a VERY close second.
Here is the results from yesterday with the 32. 10 shot group.
attachment=0]D4AC57E0-90AA-448D-8610-7BCE86B9211C.jpeg[/attachment]
Good luck to Claro with the healing. Good luck to Gunny with the funding. Put a picture of Clark on a go fund me page👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Gunny glad to hear the pup is gonna be ok. Good news. Sorry about the cash.

Man! Six wins another one. :D

Well, I went out to the kids place and loaded up his 4 wheeler last night. Built a fire in the garage this morning and put a new winch on. I think the old one was ok. Whoever put it on don't know much about off road vehicles. They made some ridiculous wiring harness with twice as many connections as there should have been. The mound is kind if garbage too but I weren't fixing that today. Brought it back out this afternoon and put the plow back on. He's gonna need it tomorrow.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey tom...how far away were you shooting the 1892??? 3 yards? That's some mighty fine accuracy.

Your 1941 model 39A...what's the number?. Mine is also a 1941 and is one of the last case colored ones. Mine is B 6430.

Jay....can I have your new winch?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sixgun, your wife is Italian. What makes you think she would let you mess with a wench?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

piller wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:55 am Sixgun, your wife is Italian. What makes you think she would let you mess with a wench?
Winch Piller. ...winch! Those things that fit on a Jeep to pull out wenches from disabled Jeeps.....ahhh...wtf......a beer and a joint would do the same thing. :D

(We don't talk about wenches around my wife...she'd pop me on da head, but good. ) 47 years and she's still jealous of other women......but dang, she can COOK.......and at my 65 years, that's all I care about anymore.,-----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's not mine, it's the kid's.
I got the old one, though. Gonna rig it up to pull the ice shack up onto the trailer. Beats the come along we use now. Will have it as a portable deer hoist, also.

Oh! And that was some fine shootin' FW. :D
I don't know if any of my .22s will shoot like that. I can't anyway so it doesn't really matter. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Been away to visit my daughter, lives on the top of a mountain. They have a pack of Basset hounds. That have their own living room and the doberman. Here is the dooryard. Five acres for the dogs to run.

I see Six won ... another page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Not only did Six win again- I set him up again!

That 32 is quite the shooter! Only 25 yards but still it's not a long range Quigley rifle. Those little cartridges are fun to play with, like hornet, bee, 25-20.
Most every 22 out there seems to shoot CCI well, they must know something the other makers don't.

Spare winch is a handy thing! I learned the hard way to go straight to Warn! I bought an off brand for my quad, wiring harness burned up so I bought another of the same, fixed the wiring then burned up the motor and the harness- bought the Warn. Put a warn on the Ranger, 4500# should be more than I need.

More snow huh? Just rain here today, tired of rain!

That's a lot of basset hounds! Do they breed? Rescue? Or are they wabbit hunters?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jack B53xx
Trace of color on the back side and lever but mostly a brown gun. But what the heck for $300?
I have some heeled flat points for the 32 bucks t they will need a slightly different case length. THEEEN I will hollowpoint some to see if they are the bee’s knee on squills
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Tom that should be magic for treerats!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Holy smokes OS! THAT is quite a door yard.
And a passel of hounds!

You are 100% Gunny. Old Red has a cheapie cause the old man mostly just moves stuff with it and it's put up winters.
My Rubicon has a Warn cause that puppy sees some serious action.
My kid got some action on Kodiak this weekend trying to get into the range with his Rubicon. He laid in a set of tracks last week testing the waters. He went back to make the ride in but some hero in an F150 had seen his tacks and figured he could make it. He got buried so my kid had to winch and pull him back out. Meanwhile, a Chevy pickup tr8ed coming in behind him and did the same thing. Never got to the range as he was busy winching and pulling them and himself getting out.
Good times!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

San Isabel National Forest, spring break 1991 just about everyone in the gunsmith dorm piled into our rides and did our best to get into the picnic grounds. We thought sure no problems until we got to a open flat that had about 2 foot of snow on the road. First guy went as far as possible then pulled backwards and the next guy in line then the next and so on until we had wasted the whole day and gone less than 200 yards. We had a blast and learned that Subrau Bratt was a very capable off road rig as the kid that had the Bratt would get on top and go farther than any of us. Good times for sure!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jeeps, smeeps... As long as it wasn't narrow ravines, or the trees weren't too close together, THIS was nearly unstoppable:
34" gumbo mudders on 15x8 rims, 4" lift, 385HP 350 and rock solid TH350, 4.11 gears in the rear with a Detroit locker, 4.10 gears in the front with a limited pumpkin out of a '72 International carryall. If the bark was rough enough, it could climb trees! Didn't need a winch. :P Would beat ANYTHING across the intersection... but by the time I crossed the opposite sidewalk, it was @ 7500rpm and screamin'! Had 4 train headlights above the windshield, two more in the grill guard! Always wanted to put one in my squad car's spotlight... it was dim by comparison! The only thing that stopped it was soft wet snow deeper than the top of the bumper.

Sold it to my huntin' partner, then he let some idiot drive and rolled it on the freeway! Luckily it didn't kill us all! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hi. ....
Fred......that's what I call dogland in the dooryard......I always felt that anyone wth multiples of dogs has a heart of gold.....wait till mom sees this..."their own living room". She will want to do the same but we don't have an extra room so she will just tell me to "get out...leave....dont care what you do, this is now the dogs room". That's also quite a slope...does that need to be maintained as to grass cutting? The house would make a fine compound in times of peril.

Griff....only old guys would understand your engine, differential, trans lingo.......yea....they were the days.

Well...can't think of nothing exciting to talk about so I guess I'll get dressed, go outside and walk around in circles.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I worked for an engine builder, have done my share of mechanic work. Was a guy in Colorado that had a 67 travelall that I tried very VERY hard to talk out of!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is a view from the front out toward the ocean. Here the ladies are heading out for a day at the winerys. And, another view of the dooryard. What you see is the upper deck. There is one like it below. Off the lower one is an indoor bedroom for the dogs much like their upstairs living room. The dobey sleeps inside with a big bed in one of the bedrooms. He has the run of the house. The house is at about 1500 ft. One view is actually out the back across the valleys.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Cool 72' Blazer Griff! We ran stuff like that when we were kids. Mostly 73-80 Chevy's with about the same setup. We wheeled a lot of mud in those days. Big power ruled. That was the first of the 350's being done as the 383 strokers. Excellent performance! That was a time when trucks were made to use. Those days are LONG gone. It is very tight up here in most places. When you add the fact that nobody wheels full size trucks anymore, the trails are crazy tight.
I've learned over the years to keep the weight down. It is factored into everything I do to my Jeep. That's the only thing that Subaru had on its side, trust me.
The trick in deep snow is to go VERY slow and not spin till you are stuck. Keep backing up and going forward a little at a time and pack yourself a trail.

Nice looking place OS. Very pretty views!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I wrote earlier about Fred's latest pictures....don't know what happened....I must have forgot to hit the "submit button".

Well....I have a LOT to announce. :D A very productive day........put a new Nikon forward mounted scope on the 30-40 1898 Krag and tested it out first with 7.5 grains of Unique and a 175 Saeco tapered bullet....300....306......308.....and the base .312. I was thinking this load would be just below the speed of sound...it chronographed 1135 and gave the sonic crack...didn't want dat.....went to 7 grains and got 1080....the magical match accuracy velocity...... :D

Last month I bought three new phones with call block.....the best invention since sliced bread! I now have about 30 people blocked and the phone only rang ONCE today...it was some smelly Indian and my wife told him to f.a goat and then to go f.h., hung up the phone and blocked him too.

THEN.....I was so happy with my load development I drove aaaalllllllllllll the way to the post office (2/10ths of a mile) and there was a package FOR ME!!!!....yea, ME...for once I get a package......it was from my pal in California.....

I've been wearing the same belt buckle for 30 years but I now have a spanking new one. THANK YOU OLD SAVAGE!!! YOUR THE BEST.....(next to me)...... with the belt buckle was a NEW tie clip which is a levergun....I probably won't use that as I don't get dressed better than jeans and a T shirt but one day I'll probably have to go to a funeral so I'll just hang a cloth around my neck and use that to hold it in place...don't think I have a tie......AND A SILVER N.R.A.45 AUTOMATIC CARTRIDGE!!!

Aaaaannnnnnnddddddd .....a very neat empty sardine can.....now we have something to eat out of as we can't afford regular dinner plates like rich people do....THANKS FRED!

Lots of pictures!

The phone, complete with spaghetti stains.

My new fancy belt buckle already on my money belt.

My NEW tie clip and bullet.

And the best!...new dinner plate.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have this one:
20200218_190618.jpg
Still in the plastic bag it was shipped in. No idea how long ago that was...?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I see the lifestyle of California people is much above that of easterners..... wineries, lounging, visiting....Fred, you have a classy family....you done well raising your daughters......everyone looks happy and content.....

Always sunny there....there is one thing about California has that I wouldn't miss....their politics.... :D

We have wineries here too...for real.....the famous Chadds Ford winery is right where Washington fought the Limeys during the revolution. All the old money people like the famous artists from the Wyeth family and the DuPonts hang out around there and sip wine and drive around in Rolls Royces. I saw Jamie Wyeth a few months ago driving around in his original Ford 428 Cobra something....worth like a couple of mil......hey! I have a 15 year old Jeep and Jay has a Jeep too.--6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wow Gunny...you have an NRA buckle too? Man! You get all the neat stuff. Can I have the plastic bag? Ha....plastic bag...that ain't nuttin' LOOK WHAT MINE CAME IN!!!!

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage........MY PRESIDENT is coming to visit California tomorrow!!! Tell him I said "Hi"....--6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, glad you got the package :) Now, the buckle is a 1984 collectible to be worn to shooting competitions. The pin is from Switzerland and to be worn on your hat or lapel at shooting competitions. 😁 The 45 ACP Silver Bullet is a 1994 collectible for your keys at shooting competitions. The sardine can is for spare change. Just in case that will ever come in handy. I have a few around. I have another NRA buckle I use. Brothers of the Buckle 😎

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, that buckle has been in that box more than 35 years. Should have warned you that the foam was powderizing.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

these are about the same age...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

On the headstamp of the bullet it says "100 years of NRA"...mmmm..that's means it's closer to 50 years old.......

OK...got it...the pin is going on my hat sunvisor.....the bullet will be threaded with leather and goes around my neck at matches..

The buckle goes where it's supposed to be...it's a new beginning.......tomorrow I'm going to have a spiritual ceremony ..for real, no bs........I believe in such things...been telling the wife to leave me alone this season as I plan on being the best I've ever been......I was good and it all dissipated 10 or more years ago...I know I can do it as good as before.....it's a new awakening.

Thank you!----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Cool stuff guys!
Ok, I admit it.....I'm a belt buckle junkie. I have tons of em. My dad and I bought a pair of NRA buckles in 1987 at a sportsmans show down in Augusta. They had an NRA booth there.
If I was home I'd post a pic of some of my buckles. I may tomorrow but it is going to be a snow moving day.....again.
I have one of the NRA silver bullets, but it's a .45 Colt.

Oh oh, Six is gettin' serious. :D
Best of luck buddy!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six if ya need a coach I'm here for ya! I've been coaching those in need for years, although only shotgun but I'm sure I can bs my way through rifle ! :D

I too have a pile of buckles around here, hardly wear anything but my Filson Bridle leather though. The buckles just collect dust.

Snow? What is snow?? Haven't seen any of that lately.

Multiple winery's here too, even one that is along the Delaware and you can take ride the train along the river to the vineyard. I rather stay on the train and get my hands dirty than go sip young vinegar!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Winery on the Delaware, where would that be?

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Actually not right on the river, it's in the town of... wait itll come to me?!

Finesville!

https://www.albavineyard.com/
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, history of the Friends of NRA, began in 1992. I was the chairman of our Antelope Valley committee the first four years 1995-98. We were first or second in fund raising in SoCal those years. The NRA rep became a good friend and patient. We went around together coaching other committees. He gave me a number of NRA items included in which was your 45.ACP. I also have one like it along with one of the 45 Colt ones. Also have another NRA belt buckle. Not sure what 100 years they are celebrating but that came out in the mid 90s.

Now on the sardine can ;-) not sure why I like those but I have a few around. There are s couple somewhere filled with change.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here you go Six, here's mine from 98.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

The top of a dresser or nearby table that a man uses tells me so much about them.....I see golf balls, cartridge cases, a high dollar watch and a nail clipper.......this means you like to golf, shoot, you have mega money, and you keep your nails clipped for the ladies....

Never knew you were involved with the Friends of the NRA.....that a prestigious involvement and one that opens doors to the political movers and shakers. Some time back in the same time era a buddy of mine invited me to become involved and for real, my extra time in those days was non existent....he did get a few nice handguns. Now that I'm old and have the time I don't even want to leave the house anymore.

I see you have cleaning rods and autographed golf balls in the other pic along with a stolen orange golf ball from a miniature golf course.......just wait till JAY sees that....did you borrow his coat?

Got to head to Home Depot for a "Y" hose for the downstairs wash tub. The cheap one I had on there started to leak...junk....I bought it sometime in the early nineties so what, 25 stinkin' years? :D I buy to last..---6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've been invited to join the Friends of the NRA. That's probably no great distinction, as who hasn't? Always wanted to, but felt my schedule wouldn't allow me to be really effective.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very observant there Six. You can also see my reduced 41 Mag load. Those factory Rems are pretty nasty to shoot. To the right is my caliper case RCBS. The purple spinner is from Hawaii. And, there is the soft holster for the small autos.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I always get the feeling there is a lot more to OS than we see here. An interesting guy for sure.

Anyway, here is my one and only NRA buckle as mentioned above. From 1987.
Here are also a few more. Some frome the 70's. Most of mine are gun related. Some are motorcycle or truck themed, also. Strangely, I don't have a Jeep buckle......
The buckle with the .357 cases (lower left) was made for me by an old gentleman down to the mill. When I became a machinist it was given to me by him. He gave them only to guys in the trade. I got the last one he made. He died from cancer a year later.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jay that buckle must be a treasured item.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:04 pm Jay that buckle must be a treasured item.
It is. He also made me a cartridge belt for .44mag. My waist was a much smaller number then. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:46 pm I always get the feeling there is a lot more to OS than we see here. An interesting guy for sure.

The buckle with the .357 cases (lower left) was made for me by an old gentleman down to the mill. When I became a machinist it was given to me by him. He gave them only to guys in the trade. I got the last one he made. He died from cancer a year later.
Yes...absolutely......Old Savage surprises me more often than not.....where a guy like me and you will post all of our nice stuff, Fred holds back and posts it when you least expect it....good chance he has a walk in vault full on like new antique Winchesters and Colts. He sure has been posting some nice Rugers lately...and he does have all "el primo" stuff....mmmmm....i think he does it so I don't keep asking him "Can I have it?"

When my son hired on to the railroad in the early nineties he was in the locker room when an old time engineer was cleaning out his locker at retirement.....he said to my son, "here ya go young man, I've had this for many years and now it's yours...... It was passed to me and I've been wearing it since around '98 until yesterday. I put it on the polishing wheel last night and then lacquered it....

Your buddy who gave you the cartridge buckle sure puts life into perspective...you work your butt off, get a couple of years off, then die. I always thought there was going to be a big pot of gold at the end of the rainbow 🌈 when I got old.....you figure, everything is paid off .......you have a few bucks ......your situated solid with deep roots but one big thing is different.....95% of life is behind you...changes the attitude a lot.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's cool buddy!
Weird, when I joined this forum in 2009, I thought "that Sixgun dude is quite a character". :D
But I was shocked how much we had in common.
Your son working for the R.R. was funny. When my son was young, he LOVED the railroad. He had a buddy from the Coast Guard offer him a job for the R.R. in Colorado last year. Small world.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah shucks!!! Just found out the fox red stud I was going to breed Parker with is a carrier for PRA, a degenerative eye disease. He is out of contention. Now I gotta start looking for another stud.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Belt buckles are neat. I only have the one. The one Six now has should be out there I thought.

Really cool the one his son has with that story. My wife's father and grand father worked for the railroads.

Things should be in action. I like reading what you guys are all up to.

I collect the current stuff. Got another one coming soon but I have to get back to reloading and the Ruger .32. Six sent me some stuff I have to get at.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I swear.....for real....that I have about 4 of the belt buckles Jay has...or had......got to look......

The girl at the bank noticed my new belt buckle today.......I was wondering why she would notice that......am I that good looking? If I am, I guess I could sign on for Gunny's stud service that he's looking for.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I was watching the dem debate and the Trump rally..switching back and fo..........no matter what we had on, me and mom laughed the evening away......oh boy...it's gonna be great come November....Ray Charles song, "Crying Time" is gonna be a big hit again.......probably gonna be a mass suicide of snowflakes.....--6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. I never watch that stuff but I can just imagine.
You got 15 morons........and Trump.
Once they couldn't impeach him......they got nothing.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I didn't watch either- my eyes slammed shut at 830! Then I woke up at 930 and tossed and turned until about 11.

Well I emailed 3 different breeders , heard back from 1, in OK- no red stud at this time.

Chilly again this morning: 23*. I tell ya this lack of defined season is irritating! I really enjoy having winter. This has been like April since November.

Oh well
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

7 below here. But its supposed to be cold tomorrow. :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! I won!
I think I deserve something nice! :D