The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by OldWin »

I will get a pic of that pic of the shipping label up tomorrow.
Boy, you sure do like my short mag carbines. Glad ole Six ain't got a buffalo coat. :D
I was down to Bean's a couple weeks ago. They had one in 32-40. Now THAT is a rare bird up here. Just don't see many for some reason. The 38-55 was very popular.
Come to think of it, I actually had a short mag 32-40 years ago. A friend got it. I sold one in 38-55 and one in 32W.S. too. Sold those three to upgrade. I've kept all the others. They were pretty common here.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No, we didn't go out for ice cream. Didn't want her aggravating her leg,hip,knee,spine issue. Just a quiet evening by the fire.

Sure I'll take one Jay, a 38-55 if you please!

How much shim did you use?

40 s&w rimmed? You mean 38/40? We are waiting for a range report! One of the guys at school got to polishing a connector, kratex wheels can be extremely aggressive, he got his gun to go fast but it wasn't reliable all the time. After a bit of fun he destroyed connector to keep atf away.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey I won! :D

FW,
Buy that 38! The 38-40 is my hands down favorite of the pistol calibers for old levers.
I have 7 and can shoot the same bullet and load in every one. I have to do something different for each 44-40 I own.
I gave an 1889 2/3 mag rifle. It is a crazy good shooter.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes YOU won!! You won the right to GIVE me a 38/55!! :lol: :lol:
Here I go, out the door !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:02 am Yes YOU won!! You won the right to GIVE me a 38/55!! :lol: :lol:
Here I go, out the door !
HA! Nice try Gunny. That is straight out of the Sixgun playbook. :D
I've never used my buffalo coat to take something OUT of my house. :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh! And as I promised, here is a pic of the shipping carton with my alias.
Problem is, this was the ONLY place that knew about it.
Now the mailman knows and he will probably tell everyone...... oh no! The jig is up! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ok...I'm up....1:10.........

Wow...you guys are yakking away........you sound like a bunch of old women on a 3 way conference call.

Mmmm...Tommy Boy got a 38-40 I see........and it looks like Buffalo Man is out to get it with the Jersey Boy acting as look out....

Ok, I said something about everyone, except Griff and Mr Soft Stuff....im not real talkative at the moment...coffee isr ready and I got to get a 5 gallon can of 91 octane racing gas for the chain saws and blower.....vvvvvaaaa...vvaaa...vaoooommmmm.

I'll be back.....hoad on gents.....de 6
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I didn’t get it yet just got offered a 38/40. I have a 197? Marlin 1894 in 38-40. It started life as a 44 mag and somebody started it by putting an OLD marlin barrel on it in 38-40. I got it as a project and was able to finish it up and get it to shoot well.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay won!!!!!! He stole from me the magical and yet, unaccomplished-from-anybody prestigious "3 in a row" win which would have resulted in an all expense paid trip to Old Savage Land for a solid week of playing on the golf courses, eating gourmet food and every night squeezing the soft stuff, provided by the firm of "Old Savage Dream Vacations" in conjunction with Jeffery Epstein's "Night Moves Fantasy Land"......with the opportunity to have one of those nights with Bill Clinton taking a flight around L.A. on the Lolita Express.........

Dang! Oh well, Jay deserves something so I'm going to award him MY extremely rare 336 Marlin prototype rifle that's currently on loan at the Fordwannabe Museum in Austin, Texas.---6.......o

Man! Talk about mindless entertainment.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

HEY NOW! That is safely ensconced in a private collection. No! take backs!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice! You can send the Marlin anytime. It's ok. I realize it is a factory second.......you know, cause the loading gate is missing.......but that's ok. :D

On a serious note......
A buddy of mine just cheaped into a nice S&W 4th model hand ejector target in 32-20. It has the factory grips, but under them is a thin steel spacer on each side. They are obviously factory. The left one is stamped S&W and has a patent number.
Any of you boys know the story? Is it just to widen the grip?
I don't know a whole lot about Smith's.
Thanks guys.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think if you look back I pulled a 3-fer !? I didnt get any all expenses trip anywhere?!?
That's a new one on me Buffjay but then again I cant say I've ever seen a hand ejector up close....

Not to worry. I know how to get to the town Tom lives in, we will find that private collection !! :D

Hey Tom Guns International has a 1910 Colt 38/40 for your collection!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ooooohhhh.
You can have the Marlin, Gunny.
I will take the Colt. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well Jay....I have good news and bad news for ya....which one do you want first. OK....here goes......

Went down and got my two best books on Smith & Wesson andbefore I opened them up I held no positive thoughts as I had none concerning these stock fillers.........one book by Jnks and the other by Supica......found nothing in either one.

I've never seen or heard of such a beast but with the markings are obviously factory... Very rare if I've never seen or heard about them..no brag...fact.

It's a target gun...makes sense to have the stock spacers....are the stocks magna style or the older short ones? My guess is they are the older short ones as the magna style fill your hand better.

The gun is rare, worth 2-3 times what a standard non target sighted gun is worth....condition?

Next month I'm coming up for a visit and wanted to know if I can stop by and borrow your buffalo coat...have your buddies address ready.

Hey, for real...THATS a rare gun....not saying it's worth a huge bundle but it is rare. I've never seen a 🎯 target sighted 32-20....plenty of 38 Spls. have crossed my path....you have to figure that in those days what target shooter would want a non target cartridge in a target gun and most outdoors people would not spend the extra money for sights, hence, low production numbers.

If your buddy would like a trade for something or a wad of Ben's.....let him know I'm interested. ....or if that's your bag, get it.-----6.....o....

Code ONE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While you guys were mindlessly entertaining yourselves, I... went to Wally World and bought a wall-mount for the old living room TV... so now my entertainment system is in the bedroom!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Griff wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:10 pm ... so now my entertainment system is in the bedroom!
Oh man! That's great Griff....only thing you need now is a small cookstove, little refrigerator, and a five gallon bucket and you can live out your days in the bedroom........about what I'm doing now. :D ---6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:02 pm
Griff wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:10 pm... so now my entertainment system is in the bedroom!
Oh man! That's great Griff....only thing you need now is a small cookstove, little refrigerator, and a five gallon bucket and you can live out your days in the bedroom........about what I'm doing now. :D ---6
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Griff...that was the fastest response in the history of leverguns......that's why you are "the fastest man in Texas"!---6....o...da..bro
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks buddy.
Yeah, he has the Jinks book. It is the the old short grips.
He knows it is a really rare gun. He got it from another regular at my buddy's shop. Guy is a real character. He is in his 80' and has a ton of guns.
He put his car off the road last week into a bunch of trees. He is ok......but the car ain't.
None of us had ever seen those either. It is obviously factory, but must have been an obscure, uncatologued, option. Thing is a great shooter. It's in 85-90%.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Little trick- put a small amount of water in the bucket first! Your deposit won't stick!

How did he wreck the car? Snow/ice? Sure hope he as all his toys under lock and key, something happens to him the family will start making his toys disappear.

Warm here this morning-26. Practically t shirt weather!

Oh well I got nothing useful so coffee time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wrecked his car? He should have paid more attention to the road than to the cars for sale in dooryards....

Nutting going on...think I'll pizz off the liberals today and burn out that last stump with creosoted telephone poles.

Yea Gunny....looks nice out today.......should have gone to the club......
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Vet called earlier, asked about Claro. She is still limping :x . Next step is xrays to try and figure out just what's going on. I think it's a pinched nerve or a disc. She certainly isn't herself, very methodical unlike her normal full tilt full speed ahead!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sorry to hear Claro is still hurting, Gunny.

Found online a little about those grip spacers. They apparently had a part resembling a Tyler T-Grip that attaches to them. I didn't see an attachment point but I wasn't really looking either. Not sure if he has that parr, or even if that is what it is.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hmm, I've often wondered if the guys in the factory made a gun for themselves and did little things like these spacers. Then after they die the family sells it to pay Bill's and all of a sudden it's a factory ONE of a kind and all the rest of us scratch our heads wondering what & why for.
Could those inserts have added just enough weight to keep the muzzle down under recoil? Was it intended to fill the hand better?

Thanks bud! I wish she wasn't hurting, she isn't happy!!

Well I got the day off tomorrow, maybe I'll go try and fill the freezer, maybe I'll go look for that PRIVATE collection, or maybe I'll go bang on Sixgun's door at 7 am and make him take me out for breakfast! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yes, that definitely happened. However, they didn't apply patent numbers when they did these things. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea Gunny..come on over.....we'll eat and head to the gunclub.......then stop at the coat store and pick up a buffalo coat. There's a new model out they are advertising......called the "Jay model"....has 41 pockets sewn inside with Velcro straps and teflon linings in the pockets. ...... You can bring the dogs and let em run around.....

I got to figure out how to get that 32-20 Target....

Had a HUGE fire today on the stump.......threw on some 3' sections of a telephone pole for effect. Still burning out there in the night. Must be a foot of glowing coals on top...will take pics tomorrow.

My daughter who knows of such things has told me that one day a microb is gonna destroy the earth. Looks like it's starting in China....just another reason to avoid people.......

Got to check on the fire.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya Six! When I was at the lumberyard if the inside staff got sick I avoided going inside like they all had the plague! I'd punch my time card with my elbow, use the natural restroom, get my own lunch- generally avoided human contact as much as possible!

Let's see, my neighbor has a cow hide hanging from his wall, might be able to turn it into a bovine outer garment! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Anymore I don't even need the threat of getting sick as an excuse to stay away from people.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's how I live too. I haven't been in Walmart since October. And just for reference, it's the only bix store in town.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I got ya beat OW- I haven't been in a Walmart in 20+ years, I don't shop at wallyworld!

Think I'll get in a stand this afternoon. Do a little running around this morning. If I go to the club to hunt I'll have to take the slug gun, longer shots for sure but if I go to 'the farm ' I could use buckshot or the slug gun... Decisions decisions. Ok which buckshot gun, 870, M1 Super 90, BPS 10ga... It's too early to think about this stuff.

Today,tomorrow and Sunday is the Fly Fishing Show, 2nd largest in the country just 20 miles from here, do I go?

Oh well, coffee is done brewing.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, well, I go regularly, automotive and outdoor mainly but clorhes and kitchen stuff. Lodge frying pan was $9.78. Rustler jeans $13 as opposed to $59 for Levis at the mall.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:50 am I got ya beat OW- I haven't been in a Walmart in 20+ years, I don't shop at wallyworld!
I could use buckshot or the slug gun.
Two responses for dat.....me neither...but I'm not sure of the clientele in your area as to walmart shoppers......about 10 miles down the road there is a Walmart and you,will get robbed, car stolen, car banged up, panhandlers, so I don't go. Costco right down the road...we love it there....I'm the only dirtbag who goes in there....

Yes...buckshot for slugs

Nice day today....like really nice.....tomorrow the forcast is for steady rain all day.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You're right Six! Sure is a nice day. Got outta work this morning and headed up to the shack. Must be almost 40 degrees! You can see the old man sneaking up on a flag just wearing a vest. Took a little ride with the sled. Caught a few trash fish, no brookies today. Cooked a nice lunch in the shack. Had a couple brews.
Shot the breeze with one of the wardens from North Woods Law.
Good day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here I bought 250 rounds of Winchester military OO buck for zombies and Six is telling me it's only good for SLUGS?
Looks like a fun day on the ice!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Neat pictures Jay....Pop looks like he's enjoying himself......that's nice to see he still has the enthusiasm to do outdoor activities. Having someone to do those things with is important and that where you come in. My dad and me were buds and for the most part, I stopped hunting after he crossed the great divide.

What goes on in that ice shack? Is it big enough for you guys and porker with summer teeth? Room for me and Gunnny to attend?
Old Savage would not be interested in attending such a get together......he has set standards.

Geeze.....they are blowing each other away in Philly....a murder everyday....34 so far. https://www.phillypolice.com/crime-maps-stats/ ----6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Brotherly love huh?
I haven't ice fished since I was a kid! Then again I cant remember last time out reservoirs had either enough water OR enough ice!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I hear you Six. I worry I will stop when the old man is gone.
Oh, there is plenty of room. There is a counter on one end for cooking on a Coleman stove. A shelf above and under the counter to hold pots, pans, and whatever. On the floor under the bottom shelf sits a Buddy heater for heat. A 20lb propane tank sits outside in back for the heater. There is a table on one wall on hinges that can swing down out of the way. I will take some pics next time I'm out.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well this won't take up much room, a butter warmer from Italy to warm butter for the fish.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred,
A butter warmer? Wow! You are uppity! Around here, when using butter, one of us will hold a stick of cheap margarine under our arm pit.....how 'bout you Jay....how do you guys keep the butter warm? Do you even use butter up there...or just slap on some bacon fat? That's what the rest of our family does and none of them reached 30 years of age. My uncle had artery blockage at 12 years old and an aunt never even reached puberty.

We love butter and as most of our food comes from the Amish, so does the butter.

Fred...don't know if you remember this kind but if you didn't, I'll get ya some and ship it to ya with dry ice.

Me and mom are stepping out....gonna grab us a couple of cheese steaks and then hit Targetmaster.----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah!
Mmmmmm. Bacon grease!

Reminds me, funny story.
We were up to camp years ago. The wife, boys and I. After breakfast, I needed something to put the bacon grease in. There was one of the wife's Diet Coke cans on the counter so I poured it in that.
Little while later, the wife comes along and figured that was her Diet Coke she set down.......took a big old swig!
I don't remember anything after that. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Was the fat still hot????? Obviously not as you wouldn't be able to hold the can.....

The story above about artery damage had a bit of truth to it. Remember my grandmother (born 1901) telling me they had a neighbor (woman) who used to spread bacon fat on her toast...this was back in the late twenties..... She died in her early thirties from artery blockage.

Well...not much going on....was playing with these 2 machine guns tonight.....9mm Colts...full camo....8" barrels......NIB.....marked, "Dept of Homeland Security U.S.A.".......yea, non transferable. These suckers would fit under your arm.....or buffalo coat. :D I told my bud, "hey, you have two of these, can I have one?" he says "sure, go ahead..but your gonna have to explain yourself as I'm gonna report them as "robbed at gunpoint"----6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Amish butter isn't available around here, I wonder how it compares to the Irish butter I love. There's a Irish herb & garlic butter I love for cooking... If you wanna kick start your potatoes, (yes, they can be boring); mix up some virgin olive oil & mustard, quarter up some red russets or whatever potato you like, coat the potatoes with the mixture then bake as normal.

Spent the last couple of days helping my son get a few things fixed on his truck as he goes back to work tomorrow. New windshield, rewire some ICC lights (mainly to make the wiring neater), fix an exhaust leak, etc.

Never made it the range, it rained the day I wanted to go, tomorrow is the local Wild Bunch match, so my levergun (45 Colt 1873), 1911, & 1897 trench gun will get a workout. Afterwards, we also have a BAMM rifle match (bolt action military match), so I'll work the 1903A3 and if we have time, sometimes we get the Garands out!

I've been doing my Efudex treatment and finished up on Monday. Went to the Doc's on Tuesday and had him look over the results. He said that I'm right on track, 19 days of twice daily applications, and is spent the past few days in quite a bit of discomfort.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Not bad Griff as it's only temporary.......as you know it'll go away....thank the Good Lord for modern medical technology.......in a couple of weeks you'll be able to do a Noxzema commercial.

That BAMM match sounds interesting.......we have about every kind of shooting imaginable at our club except one...military rifle competition......we can use military guns in some of our disciplines but we have no matches exclusively for military guns.........shoot your 03A3 with some 220 gr. Lyman's........push them at 1600, size to .311-.312 and you'll beat the guys.

You had rain in Texas? Seems like it's all we get anymore...inch and a half expected tomorrow......

I need to get to the club...ain't been there since the 29th December....cabin fever and boredom has set in.......

Watching Jimmy Kimmel Live....how in the hell did that get on my TV? Turn the channel!!!!!----6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Turn the channel? Jimmy Kimmel is reason enough to shoot the tv and the remote! :lol:

That sure does look uncomfortable Griff! Sure hope you heal well and fast.

Today is our annual club meeting, at local restaurant that opens early for us, they usually put on a good feed as well. We have change of officers today, vote on new members, discuss what has happened, needs to happen and generally bs for a few hours.

Yep rain here today too, still a little frost in the ground so this rain is just going to run off.

I'd rather drink bacon grease than any diet soda- those artificial sweeteners are disgusting!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Mornin boys.

Griff,
Glad you're on the mend, buddy. The Wild Bunch shootin sounds like fun.

Six,
No, it wasn't hot haha. Man! Was she ever NOT HAPPY.
Almost as bad as a few years ago.......nother story.
So, I carry a backpack back and forth to work. Enough for 3 days if I have to walk home from work. There is a bottle slot I keep a 20oz bottle of Poland Spring water in.
Well I emptied it out at work one night to smuggle out some denatured alcohol. Came home in the morning and set my pack on the table and went to bed.
Kristy comes home for lunch at noon. She takes an asprin, and looking for water to wash it down, spies my pack. :shock:
Yup! Not good. Now you've met her so you can get a picture in your mind. :D
She was so pizzed she was breathing fire!.......literally!
She never touched that pack before.
And surely ain't since!
I'm real careful about what I drink now! :D

Gunny,
Yeah, I was so glad she quit the diet coke. Maybe I had something to do with that.......? :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The behind the scenes name for Efudex is 5 FluoroUracil. Abbreviated as 5FU. It is Chemotherapy, which is just a fancy way of saying we are poisoning you to kill the cancer or pre-cancer cells and we will try to stop in time to save your life. Receiving Chemo is never easy. Since it can save your life, it can be worth the misery. Always ask your Doctor before using any type of moisturizer or lotion on the area. Some items can accelerate the action of the Efudex and cause harm. Usually Cetaphil brand is OK to use as it is water based. Still, ask your Doctor first.

Good luck with it all Griff, and from now on DO NOT TRY TO GET A SUN TAN!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay...what a story! Your lucky, my wife would have called the cops and said I tried to poison her..............as I worked in the beverage industry for a loooonnnngggg time, we were forbidden to use any beverage containers for anything...anything..nuttin'....it was cause for instant dismissal if violated. We had 55 gallon drums full of concentrated window cleaner...floor cleaner........light machine oil.....motor oil......gear lube.......never could remember buying any of those things while I was employed....good ole 1 and 2 liter bottles held em nice........after filling the bottles I just put them under the arm of my buffalo coat...................

Yea...
Those were the days......we robbed em blind.....I was always "small potatoes" in regard to helping myself....ya know, why risk an easy do little job with 6 weeks vacation and a decent pension for stealing.......hell.....I only worked 9 and 1/4 months with the rest paid. ........one guy wanted me to help him steal a forklift....didn't happen....wasn't more than a week after purchasing an air compressor, it was gone...third shift guys........one guy in Marcus Hook, Pa.had a "soda stand" on his front porch/dooryard with variable flavors and sizes with an honor box. :D he eventually got caught...they all do if you overindulge.

Well......nasty...nasty rain...probably 2".......the pond overflowed........got to get me a truckload of stone as some of my work got washed away.....----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. She said the worst part was she had no idea what it was. Didn't know if she should call poison control.
I'm tellin ya, I'm lucky to be here. This woman carries a gun. :shock:
Lucky I'm such a good looking, great guy or she'd if killed me. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay...what did you do? When your drinking what you think is in the bottle, you will swallow some......denatured alcohol? Did she get a buzz out of it? :D ---6
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I'm not a big reloader only black powder 45's but when I made my office into a gun room I lowered one of my file cabinets under the top (I have a complete cubical office from a defunct business) and I mounted my reloader on a 2x12 so I could slip it in the opening to use and put it away in the closet when done.
For a little bit of reloading it works well and doesn't take any space.