The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

Ha....ha....I got Post 2000....and maybe page 41......it's gonna be a double win.

Code 6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

DOUBLE WIN!!!!! When the Good Lord made me, he said, "This one is a winner".

Win...win....win....just like Donald Trump......win....win....win.....don't even know what "loser" sounds like. :D ---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Be careful with power tools.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ha! I like that Fred.....it's deserving to the owner of the car....a no cylinder cardboard box with tires that would fit on a wheelbarrow......

Yes...be CAREFUL with power tools, especially high horsepower table saws. :D

Code 4
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well that's a big win for Six. Maybe I should sent you my buffalo coat as a prize.
Well.......no, I will come up with something nicer. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

No Jay...I would be HONORED to just WEAR the buffalo coat. I'd like to wear it long enough to learn its secrets....and maybe to "look around" and see if anything is in one of those forgotten pockets or in the lining somewhere.

Good night buddy...I'm hitting the sack..it's near 1 so I set the alarm for 10. I tell ya, it's rough being retired with nothing pushing ya. It's cold...somewhere around 28 and going down to 20. I know, that's summertime temps for you but we don't have the heavy coats you guys up there have. :D ---6

Code 8

Just hang around a bit...Gunny will be up in a couple of hours. I was talking to Old Savage...seems like he fell in a swimming pool but was cushioned by a flotilla of soft stuff...lucky guy!

Code 5
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good night old buddy. Yeah, I'm jealous.
Didn't sleep for garbage today, had to snowblow this afternoon, didn't get much of a nap before work, and now have to be up all night.
If I didn't make 3.5 million a year, it wouldn't be worth it. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:38 amGood night old buddy. Yeah, I'm jealous.
Didn't sleep for garbage today, had to snowblow this afternoon, didn't get much of a nap before work, and now have to be up all night.
If I didn't make 3.5 million a year, it wouldn't be worth it. :D
About like this truck drivin' gig... Silly rules are takin' all the fun out of it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I always referred to those small cars as internal combustion powered dinosaur eggs.

Wow this wind is still blowing heavy- and it is kinda cold here at 24. Sure hope my Ol buddy In NoDak hasn't lost any toes yet! Speaking of NoDak, that Catshooter hasn't been around...?

Does anyone need cabinets? We are soon to start a kitchen renovation. I'm going to snag a couple for our hunting cabin at the club.

Hey Six you should sell those hub caps, could be worth a few C notes!

The moronic drivers would be enough to make me want to give up the big trucks Griff, now that GPS, electronic logs and more government regs sure make guys like you work all that much more- my hats off to you!

Is the swimming pool full of jello?

Oh and congrats to Six!

Code 11
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I dunno Gunny.....Code 11 doesn't fit the situation.....you had better read the rule (email we agreed on) book again....let's not slop this up.......we are gonna need it down the road....

Working on the "secret electronic/cyber handshake" gig.....the Grand Poobah is handling that.

The SS hubcaps are the only thing I have left of the car...for real, no bs....my wife, then girlfriend bought me that '68 RS/SS Camaro. Back in those days, in my youth, girls were as easy to get as water out of the faucet and she "bought me". I figured, what the heck, lets party on!

Cabinets? Well, ours are 45 years old next month and still in somewhat decent condition....sounds like a lot of work to dismantle and reinstall.....figure I'll let the next owners worry about it.

On to fun things........tested the AR out yesterday out in the shootin shack with the tarps closed and shooting into a block of wood to see if the load was at its peak and not piercing primers....before I load up a hundred......23 grains of h4895 and the 80 gr. Sierra seated waaaayyyy out to 2.590 is gonna be the way to go. Only about .175 of the bearing surface of the bullet is in the case......gonna be interesting this year at the matches. Primers are showing high pressures but not overly high..no cratering and flattened, but not real FLAT....I only use the brass one time and discard it into the "fun pile" for blasting.

I did fire one round over the chronograph, then waited a half hour to see if the cops showed up before exiting....2572...with a 16" barrel...that'll work...

Code 8
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Riding the lightning old buddy! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

' And the angles sing' was the quote at school when pushing the pressures of a cartridge.

It was a double code, a 5 & 6 - I was in a rush to drop a dem.... :lol:

Couple hours setting tile this morning, decided to have lunch at the fly shop, hung around until 3:30 chawing the fat.

I haven't tried 80s, 77 work well enough for my rig.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey there little buddy....what's happening? We are supposed to get the BIG SNOW tomorrow.....1-3"!!!!!!!! For real, fake news is talking about it non stop.....showing the big trucks with their plows on and other trucks spraying the road with brine........

Other than a 12 incher a few years ago, we haven't got much of anything in the last 5 years.......supposed to be freezing cold for the next week with lows around 20......gonna load up the wheelbarrow with some Osage orange and hickory.

We have some of the most retarded college educated people around here...and it's to my advantage......my buds, who deal in trees, stumps, firewood, etc tell me that no one will buy maple or poplar even if it's $30 a cord.....they claim to KNOW that anything other than oak or hickory will not give out heat.......well, thank the Lord for college edumacated people. I heated our house 100% for three years exclusively with poplar. Apparently, no one told the "smart people" about dampers, air control, or the size of which you split it because they sure can't figure it out themselves.

Code 8
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hickory is be far the highest BTU , locust is next then the oaks. Birch is very good to. Poplar is very high heat but it burns fast. I only cut dead wood, dont care much what it is since I'm only heating my shop it doesnt much matter to me.

Free wood = free heat, take all of it you can !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh Maaaassssttttteeeerrrrr Gunny. As you know, 77 grain match bullets can be seated in order to maintain an overall length to fit in the magazine...(for AR's)......the 80 grainers have to be single loaded...but look at their length...no wonder the 80 grainers take over in the accuracy department when it's over 300 meters or windy.

I'm still in the learning curve with these long 22 calibers but so far, the longer they are, the more turkeys and rams I'm knocking over.

In this group of .22 calibers there is only a 3 grain difference in maximum powder charges...23-26---------Code 8

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My varmit upper, 24" 1:7 loves the 77 SMK, but does not like the 69 grainers! It shoots 55s better- doesn't make much sense!
I found IMR 4895 was the best accuracy- what a pain to load! Haven't tried any 62s out of it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

No Gunny...that don't make much sense.....as in the 69's not shooting....how far away?.....could be the seating depth........I did notice a phenomenon that I couldn't explain and it was the 77' Sierra MK...anyway, I noticed the accuracy was only so-so at 200 meters, like 2.5 but it was still moa at 300, 385, and even better at 500.........usually when accuracy is OK, but not great at the shorter ranges it develops into garbage at the longer ranges....

They call that type of accuracy when it's so-so at shorter ranges and then the bullet "goes to sleep" and stabilizes and drills right in.

After shooting all types I've found the 53's and 55's are tack drivers up to 300 ...tops.....then drop off dramatically where the longer bullets hold up. I was watching through the scope at the 69 Sierra's hitting the 500 meter half scale ram and barely knocking it over where the 77's blew em down.

OK Gunny...it's 8:20....so go scrub up, get your PJ's on, watch Tucker, and get to bed! You have a big day ahead of you, plowing snow and making money because there's a LOT of individuals out there with outstretched hands.

Ya know, you'd figure with all of the snow experience Jay has, that he'd come down and help us poor guys out a bit. I can understand the Grand Poobah not helping as he has his hands full.......of soft stuff.

Remember for tomorrow........Code 9! Don't let us down!-----Poobah Jr.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

First I have to take Claro out to see her pheasant friends! :D Not sure which gun I'm taking yet, new Mouser maybe I'm thinking, haven't shot it yet!!

My 257 AI Doesn't shoot anything well at 100 but at 200 it is amazingly accurate! I never messed much with the 69 SMK, did different powders and nothing showed much promise so I just stuck with the 77s.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

You gone huntin'? This is too cold for me. Brought in a mess of Osage to keep me from getting up at 3 to reload the stove..........well...good luck to you and Claro....make sure you have extra batteries for your socks.--6

Code 11
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey skipper I've got Plenty of batteries- no electric socks! Since we are walking staying warm is no problem.

I started a fire in the shop stove last night, be nice to clean birds where it is warm, also if I have to fix anything that might break while plowing.

Now to see what the weather channel has to say about this latest polar vortex/ end of the world/ buy all the milk & bread snow storm :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ten below here this morning. But better than yesterday with the wind wipping around too.
More snow coming tonight.
Man! A buddy at work headed back into Millimagasset Lake yesterday with his brother to ice fish for 2 days. They were spending 2 nights on the ice in a pop up shack. That's pretty far up north and many miles back in the woods. In THAT cold and THAT wind..........?
Crazy! :shock:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

BAD WORD BAD WORD BAD WORD BAD WORD !!!!!
Get over to the hunting property, get the stove fired up, Claro and I go for our usual walk, I throw her dummy she takes off after it and let's out a YIP! Figured she had a thorn in a paw. NOPE! She is limping, carrying her left hind off the ground!! BAD WORD BAD WORD I DONT NEED THIS BAD WORD ! Called the vet , 9:40 appointment...

2 days at negative temperatures in a pop up, umm no thank you!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh no! Hope the pup is ok, buddy. Nothing worse than a hurting fur buddy.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks bud!
To add insult to injury the post office doesn't have enough cash in the drawer to cash a $152 money order!! I swear the USPS really needs to be privatized!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha holy smokes! That sounds like up here. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well no signs of broken bones, knee joint seems normal. No whimpering, whining or obvious pain. 10 days rest, 10 days anti inflammatory meds.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ow, 32° here headed for 58° but... you can go to the snow one day and the beach the next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow buddy! That's a pretty good dumping. I never would've guessed.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

6700+ ft difference in elevation. Possible to be about 40 min from either. The same person is in both pictures a day apart.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So after getting home from the vet I decided to grab the Mouser and go test fire it. It does not like Estate ammo ! But Remington and Winchester is good to go. Just as well , I dont like Estate either! :D

The snow has started, temperatures has dropped at least 5 degrees in the past hour.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

What's happening? Well, I see from the morning news from the "in house" news boxes we have and I see Gunny is back at the vet, Jay is in Frost bite land and Old Savage is doing what he does best...admiring the landscape.

Where's the rest of the crew? Abandoned us?

I truly hate that when dogs are hurtin'...they don't have a mouth to tell us what's wrong or the degree of which they are in pain. We've seen tooth abscesses on our animals and we all know what that feels like but they keep on truckin'.

Yea...cold here too..got done to 20 with a coat of snow...maybe half inch....and I had to get up at 4 and throw another log on the woodstove.... sure is nice getting up in a warm house, even though I put in 9.5 hours....1:30-11:00.

What the hell...ain't nuttin to do...cold and windy outside....got a scope to mount.

Hey! Here's excitement!!!!! Gunny......remember me telling you about the hundred year old 32" Stevens scope I had that needed to be worked on after I cleaned the lenses? Everything about went black......Wellllllll.....I found the cure.......I put the scope behind the woodstove for a week and it came back better than ever. Real nice and clear now.....as I took it off the Low Wall .22 and I mounted the modern MVA scope on the .22, I'm gonna put it on the Low Wall 32-20 as the scope is set up for that style of rifle and a 28" barrel........---6

Code SIX
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

"Oh NO!, I would never step in that Gun Room thread!!!!"

Well, between 8 last night and noon today, 72 people did. :D

Tom....go outside and open your mail box.....you have a package in there.-----6
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

No hunting for me this weekend, I'm on the South coast temp 32f all I've done today is buy a new axe to attack my woodpile with.
Gunny, I hope your hunting buddy is not out of the field for long.
Six, your signature picture sure tells a story but I hate seeing that Muslim mayor of London every time I read your posts. I need a puke smiley... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well how did your scope get wet INSIDE? I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll see it says Not Dishwasher Safe :lol:

Thank you GK! She will be 7 next week, way too young to be retired from the one thing she lives for!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:09 pm "Oh NO!, I would never step in that Gun Room thread!!!!"

Well, between 8 last night and noon today, 72 people did. :D

Tom....go outside and open your mail box.....you have a package in there.-----6
Gosh, you should feel so Happy Happy Happy that we are hanging on every word you say. Every word. :D :D :D :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gamekeeper...THATS the mayor of London??! Oh man, I apologize.....I have tunnel vision when it comes to Muslims.....don't want to hear what they have to say.......no "benefit of the doubt"....no trust at all........can't stand em......they pride themselves on deception.....

Oh Maaasssttter Gunny....OK, here goes....kind of the same M.O. as drilling holes in spray paint cans.......on these long old style scopes, there's about a foot of nothing inside the tube towards the muzzle.....it's the same with the newer MVA scopes but the new ones have a plain glass "end" that keeps debris from entering the "foot of nothing".

Because I keep these rifles in the safe with the muzzle pointed up, dust settles inside and on to the surface of lense that's down in the "foot of nothing". So......I get a cleaning rod and attach some patches saturated with Windex and clean the lense....then dry patches to clean up...yes, I'm careful with a scope I've only seen two of.......somehow, the Windex got behind the lense and destroyed the view..I mean, it was near black....was not like moisture, didn't know what the hell it was......

Well, it must have been moisture and some other stuff and as usual, I WIN, sometimes by good luck the Good Lord has given me in abundance. :D and after I put the scope behind the wood stove it came out better than the 25 years I've had this scope.....---6
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

He probably was just not able to see out of that eye for a while because of saying the wrong thing to an Italian lady. Nothing was actually wrong with the scope.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Piller that made me laugh !! HA! :lol:

Six, do yourself a favor and get a pack of balloons, when you store those old timers wrap that rascal so nothing gets in!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I hear ya Gunny......on the balloons......on scopes I have no caps for I just slap on some Saran Wrap or blue masking tape. You know what the WW2 GI's used on their rifles during shore landings?---6
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

So today looked like this outside.i
518B0B24-3388-4594-8E60-172E9B689C41.jpeg
What’s a gun lover supposed to do? I went out to my “he shed” and turned some little heavy bricks into other shapes.
C090C207-050A-4E45-837E-05413033AFBC.jpeg
405 grain for the suppressed 45/70 a 265 RNFP for the 44mag and 444, and the DEVASTATOR 250 grain hollowpoint for the 44’s. With a 700 degree pot going in there it was pretty comfortable too!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Haha I just opened the package from Jack and it has a most interesting packing material.
FB5B3F4E-2754-4D91-8EFF-32F5F1C7F102.jpeg
Haha.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

THATS what I call a hollow point......very time consuming to make....you look like you know what your doing in casting.

Yes on the packaging....I call them "brass peanuts"....it's good stuff Tom...all once fired Lake City Federal.....wait till Jay gets his package and dirt peanuts that I got from the horse shed. :D

You want to buy 500 pounds of lead wheelweights all cast into nice 1 lb ingots before I sell them to an undeserving BIL or do you have a comfortable supply? As I've been on a jacketed bullet kick for the last couple of years I find I'm casting less. I have a couple of thousand pounds so can spare 500
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah Six I know, same thing our boys in Nam used! Same thing a lot of voters SHOULD be using!! :lol:
Is shipping included for those ingots?
It's snowing/sleeting/raining here, supposed to stop soon then rain later on. Sure hope it stays frozen precip! I gotta get out early and plow so Parker can go play !

That's a BIG hole! Have you tried them on meat? Do they open up and cause humongous cavities? Ever try them out of a sabot in a muscle loader?

Oh well, almost my bed time, gotta take the girls out

CODE 1
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Code 1?????? Why that? Don't understand.....send me a pm before getting to bed as I won't gen able to sleep with a code 1 on my mind.

Shipping on the lead? I probably could but the post office would ban me...I sent a guy in Missouri 75 pounds of 7mm bullets and actually made a wood crate that fit in the large Priority Flat Rate box......the woman at the post office told me, "Jack, if I didn't know you I'd tell you to go to hell!!" ....then she whispered in my ear and said, "I'd do anything for you".....and licked my ear lobe.... I told Tammy, "Whoa! You got me mixed up with Old Savage." :D

Oh,....
Back to shipping costs...sure, I'll take $50 off for gas or just wait until we catch up......for real...don't know how serious you are but if you need lead, let me know.....50 ..100...200 lbs.....I take care of my buds....if I looked around I probably could come up with another 1,000 pounds I didn't even know I had. I have plenty of tin also but....that's hard to pry away from me...then there's the 600 pounds of linotype I've been hoarding.....and the 40 pounds of babbit....the 200 pounds of tractor trailer wheelweights. (Those are huge) ....forgot how many moulds I have..all good out of print hard to get ...some still NIB.

I ain't got much money but Lordy, do I have the cool stuff....---6.....o....

Code 11 and possibly Code 8
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am ALWAYS looking for wheel weights. We will talk.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gunny I just got the mold last week haven’t even loaded any yet but it’s t was a perfect day for going out to the shed, getting Patriotic country on IHeartRadio and casting a bunch up.
The mold came with three sets of pins so
265 rnfp
255 hollowpoint
250ish DEVESTATOR hollowpoint
I also cast a lee 310 rnfp in 44 but it as at my buddy’s getting a set screw installed for the spruce screw.
The Lee 405 in .458 gets laughed at buuuut 7 cast in it starts to throw beautiful bullets and keeps doing it EVERY TIME
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Code 1...? I see it but don't remember typing it!? Musta meant 11?

I could might take some off yer hands, maybe 50 lbs. I don't cast enough to need more than that. Bet I've got 50-75 lbs on hand now, got a bunch of tin too.

I've looked at HP moulds, thinking of them in the muzzle loader, I like a game bullet that really opens up. Years ago I used 180 Rem HPs and got every one back under the hide after completely turning the vitals into jello. Then tried the Rem 240 semi jacket- way too much blood shot meat but boy howdy did they open up!

Well I woke up at 3:55- a little earlier than I wanted but I'm up! Gonna start plowing about 6, then take Parker out to play! Claro is still limping. :x
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This was a link in an email I received

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nAgJAxkALyc
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Celebration, Jan, 19 ... a Colt's patent date !!!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jan 21st- Claro's birthday!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!