The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

Just for the heck of it, I looked on grainier.com. They have compressor motors but $300 or so- now the quandary of do you repair the one you have or spend money for a new ( and most likely ) lower quality compressor?

Good nights sleep, some pressure in my skull but not like it was- guess I have to go to work this morning...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just what I DONT NEED!
I really don't want this sinus infection AGAIN :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you OS! Looks like a nice day.
We had a housefull. My folks, the kids, and all the dogs. :D

Glad you're feeling a little better Gunny. I hate being sick.

As for the compressor......
Most stuff today is designed to have a "weak link" that breaks relatively soon.
I keep a dehumidifier in my gunroom. I was buying one every couple years. Didn't last at all. The last one I got ran about 6 months and died. I got looking online and digging into it and narrowed it to a sensor or the control board. The sensor was 18 bucks, the board 80. I took a chance and got the sensor. That was 8 years ago, it's still going strong.
Will that be the case with you? Who knows. Unless it is exactly what you want for a compressor to start with, I wouldn't bother. I would look to upgrade if possible. Especially if it sees considerable use. Remember, a good portion of the sale of the Flat Top is "free money". I would spend that amount extra on quality. Even uf the tank is a little smaller. Then I would hitch the old tank in tandem with a shut off between them.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ha!!!! Gunny got TWO doses of a sinus infection!!! Well, that sure saves me shipping costs.....plus all those surgical gloves and bags I would have needed to ship the virus.....(I am LMAO ) :D thanks for looking....I just KNOW if I spent money on one part, there would be one section that I couldn't bolt up...or the angle would be off by 10 degrees and I'd spend the next 3 days fabricating a base for the motor...

Sorry Gunny......go ahead, I deserve it.

Fred,,,,very nice picture.....I notice there is an empty seat...is that reserved for me? For real, you have a nice family that gets along and enjoys each other's company. Not all that common anymore.

Jayster.....first thing this morning mom showed me this picture with about 20 people and 17 dogs in the same room and one of them was you, with a look of bewilderment. That too was a nice picture...even the dogs are happy.

Yes Jay.......there is always a "weak link" in products we buy today. With the cheap oilless compressors it's usually the piston and connecting rod that pumps the air or the regulator. I was thinking of buying the same brand/size so I'd have replacement parts but I'm past that shet now.....F it, I'm getting a DeWalt with the 225 pressure tank...after all, you paid for it!

Oh boy, all this cherry knobbing. Now I have to actually get dressed for the first time in a couple of days and wander into the disease ridden public...
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

On another note, me and mom spent the day by ourselves....mom made a turkey with everything to go with it.....guess we will eating that for the next week.......decided NOT to go to the inlaws a couple of doors down...half the people there are sick with some kind of a virus. Gunny must have pointed his face in this direction and sneezed.--6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six the twin to the 45 41 shoots well too. I did measure the throats at one time. They are consistent and a bit over size to the barrel.

That is Bohemian lasagna and dome is left. Drop on by and have some. Bring the 7 1/2". I have a new model with the ACP cylinder which I keep in it.

Jay may like this little 4 3/8" Colt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK Fred...just got back from Home Depot spending Jays money......I'll be over in about an hour......save me a portion of the Bohemian Rhapsody. Just tell Freddie Mercury to stay home ...or wherever he's at.

The 4 and 3/4" Colt New Frontier .22.....very nice...like new....probably is......Does yours have the safety thing-a-ma-jig inside after you open the loading gate? I gave my son on of those for "I think" for Christmas when he was 14. One hell of a shooter but even with the adjustable sights it still shot waaaayyy to the left. Had to turn the barrel to make it right.

$479 with additional attachments ...I'm sick....for a stinking air compressor........sick....sick.....sick.....but show me a single action Colt and I'll dig deep without a second thought.

Hope "The Gunny" is feeling better......sucks to be sick....you ought to try going months and months being sick, sometimes barely able to get out of bed or drive....Meniers and brain concussions will do that to ya.....---6

Like Old Savage says...."Sometimes you just have to "soldier on."
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm still ok, sinus pressure comes & goes. Worked all day so that's a plus!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha I actually have one of those OS! Like Six mentioned, mine is the earlier version without the transfer bar. It's a wonderful shooter. I've had it since high school.

AND! I was looking back through our grand old thread for a picture this morning when I realized something.
Back when we were talking about the "Dooryard car dealers", I said I would post pics. I realized I never did.
You boys are supposed to call me on that stuff and cry B.S.
Well, here you go. These are 2 within a half mile of my house. The one on the corner is kinda low on cars right now. Usually they are on both street sides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by OldWin on Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jay how can we call you out if WE forget!? We ain't spring chickens ya know! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hahaha well there! And here I thought all this time I let everyone down. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey! Any used cars for sale up in Maine? That's not too bad.........the one with the cars in the front of the house is probably a house that went commercial. Now, to see these guys advertising on TV would take the cake.

If you look at the window in the upper floor of the house you can see people doing bad things. Is that a pressure release pipe from a still coming out of the roof?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey look closer- they got those new fangled air conditioners hanging out the windows! Very high brow hoy paloy! They must sell lots of cars to afford 2 air conditioners!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The one with the air conditioners has had TV adds. It's a regular house.
I know the guy that lives in the other place. He works for the owner of a car dealer in town. He takes the vehicles that are too rough for the dealer to want on his lot and sells them at his house.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

My invention...(rocket science) ....so.........
I cruise on over to the credit union and deposit Jays check and pull out the same money for me....on over to Home Depot....look at Huskys.....naaaa.....look at DeWalt......leave store $479 less in my pocket....bought some other stuff...the DeWalt was 429 and I could have saved $26 by driving 8 miles to Delaware and bought it at Lowes....screw that..I hate driving.

So I'm sitting in the garage trying to figure how to hook these in tandem and a light bulb lit up.....its rare that I need that much air such as sand blasting. But.....I do need air in other places around the homestead. I take the bad motor off the Husky and decide I'm going to keep the tank with the regulators and use it as an auxiliary air source.

Dug into a box of air fittings and put these two pieces together......only have to put this "part" between the air lines of the two tanks and the pressure from the DeWalt goes into the Husky tank. As it still has the regulator and pressure gauges on it I can see what's in there along with the wheels and carrying handle.

So I guess it wasn't a total loss.

Filling up from the DeWalt. I cut it off at 150 pounds as the DeWalt will go to 225. Don't trust the Husky tank

Here's the part that makes it easy...sitting on the handle. When the DeWalt is full at 225 it only takes a couple of minutes for the Husky to get to 150

In those rare times I need two tanks for sand blasting this will take care of that.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Here's the prize for page 35...the empty DeWalt box. I can either ship it like it is, fold it up, or burn it and put the ashes in a paper bag....it will be the choice of the winner.

For the winner of page 36 I saved all of my toe nail clippings from the last six months along with some Italian hair.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks Fred! (My guardian angel)---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Aw man I WAS saving toe nails and nose hairs!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well...jays buddies are in the used car business.....THAT guy puts ads on TV??? Ads must be cheap up there! Tommy has billboards around here for Targetmaster and they run 3500 a month ...he was telling something like 15 g's for a 30 second commercial in the off hours.

Well....loaded a mess of cast bullets in '06 for the cast bullet match Saturday. 220 gr Lyman's that have about a 1/4" of the base of the bullet in the case. Single load....got to really let the bolt slam forward in order to chamber it...have to shoot it. Only tested it at 50 yards and it's a ragged hole in the BAR.....12 grains of Unique for around 13-1400.

On Sunday we have a long range ...77,100,150,and 200 meter ....match with .22's on 1/4 scale silhouettes.....that'll be fun....as long as the wind don't blow.--------6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What Ammo do you use for the 22 match? CCI standards or do you use a high velocity load? When I lived in CO all of us guys at school kept our 22s sighted in at 100. We would buy a brick of Ammo & go 'out on the town' to shoot pasture poodles. Between the 6,000 ft elevation and the standard velocity ammo ( super sonic at that elevation) it was nothing to make hits well past 200. But if it was blowing we would put up the rimfires and go to the big bores. Man a 110 gr HP from an 06 really ruins a prairie dogs day!

Ok this morning my head doesn't hurt! And blowing my nose is producing some yellow crud-no longer zombie green,a step in the right direction !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Good to hear your feeling better Gunny........I keep a bottle of alcohol (rubbing :D ) in the Jeep and when I get in from a public place I throw some in my hands....I guess that leaves the outside door handle full of germs...oh well.....

The "experts" use stand velocity match ammo and their thinking is that high vel ammo goes crazy in accuracy when velocity goes subsonic...somewhere along the path to 200 meters........everything is in meters at our club.

I used match Green Tag at the last match but this time I'm going to use CCI Mini Mags as this stuff shoots as good as match ammo. My thinking is that the less time the bullet is in the air the less the wind will affect it. CCI just came out with a new .22 ammo called "Velocitor" which shoots the standard 40 grain bullet 1400 compared to 1280 of the Mini Mag.

This is all "assuming" I can get out of bed by 6:15 on Sat and Sunday..... :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'll be outta bed in plenty of time Saturday morning- I'll call you !! :lol:

The first 10/22 I 'built' I put a Shilen bull barrel on it and it loved Green Tag and RWS standard velocity. It didnt like that new fangled Federal Olympic stuff I had bought a few boxes of it. Shot like Schiff, I wrote federal and they sent me a brick of mixed lots- none of it shot very well in any 22 I tried it in.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is the new carbon steel De Buyer pan after seasoning and cooking.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ha! Sure hope that wasnt Jack under that pile!
Sadly we had a driver at the lumberyard that drove like that going forward!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred....my resident chef is not framiliar with your new pan.....couple of weeks ago she must have bought 10 pans from some .coms......all this stone stuff or whatever they call it......it's makes the BEST eggs......I love eggs eating 4 every day and I'm picky, no floating white and the yolk has to be somewhat runny. My toast has to be buttered a certain way also. Remember, as a youngster, I was the golden child. With your expertise in cooking I think you could be my chef...you cook and I'll reload. Jay can be our "b--ch and Gunny can do house repairs. Tom can be our chauffeur with Griff doing the heavy hauling.

Hey....that forklift backing into the shelving is framiliar. I've seen things like that.....I've dumped full 2500 lb pallets of soda right on top of my lift...probably 50 times over the years. During the summer when the humidity was bad and the cardboard cases would get soft I've seen chain reactions that would have put that video to shame...a couple of times it was so bad the company would bring in outside people with bobcats and just trash everything after we picked through and restocked the good stuff. Most of the time our inventory was 750,000 cases with it reaching a million around July 4th and Christmas.

Before the company put in steel and concrete poles to protect valuable machinery, we used to run into all kinds of stuff even the shipping office one time. If water or soda got on the floor we couldn't stop...Bamm! I crushed a guys leg one time when he came up behind me and I didn't know he was there...he was out of work for six months.....I've run over people's feet when we were bs en ...me on the forklift and the injured guy standing next to the forklift with his size 12 feet half under the lift. I've run through trailers, the sides and the roof and have been out in the parking lot inside of a trailer when the brakes failed..(old style trailers)....I've been in trailers and the dolly wheels collapsed and the trailer fell over on its side.

Sometimes I wonder how I did it for 44 years and am still alive....when something bad happens and you can't jump off you have to hug the steering wheel and hope for the best. The last 10 years we had to wear seat belts to which I would not wear...got wrote up many times and finally made a fake seatbelt with Velcro so I could jump off in cases where a trailer rolled away from the dock or something was falling towards me. FORGOT how many times I've had tons and tons of soda fall on my lift or next to it. Our lifts weighed 10,000 pounds and would lift 5,000 easily. You ought to see what happens when two forklifts crash at blind corners with each carrying a full load and going as fast as the lift would go which was about as fast as a regular man could run..maybe 10 mph.

Well..gotta get to bed...Jeep is loaded and the BAR is ready for the match....ain't been to the club since October.---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is an egg sliding in that new carbon steel pan. It started out silver but I custom seasoned it to turn it blue after watching a Japanese guy season a wok. I have bought about 10 frying pans in the past year.

When I worked in a hospital xray room we had a guy come in that had been run over by a fork lift. He had a broken leg and it tore one ear off. Those things are crazy dangerous. It is fortunate that you are still here to just get slimly missed by a tornado and survive a table saw

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lots going on while I slave away redoing the roof mounts on my golf cart, then finish taking apart the gear box on my post hole digger! You guys ever dive right and disassemble a mechanical thing without any "help" from youtube or, God forbid, a manual? Well... a day's worth of sweat and cussin' later... it's apart. And viola! bearings and seals are available... AND STILL IN production! Bearings in stock at the nearby Summit Racing, and the seals available via the internet from an outfit called Motion Industries.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh how my imagination runs wild... A pallet of soda exploding all over the warehouse! You guys must have had ants & flies all over! Gee pallets of bagged mulch don't hold a candle to soda.

Griff I'm sure most of us take stuff apart THEN we RTFM ( refer to ******* manual).

Jack- GET UP come on sleepyhead GET UP time to shoot those little piggies!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Holy smokes! I miss a few hours and my buddy Jack wants to make me the "thread b#$%h?"
I don't think so buddy! :D

Yeah......I saw that. :D

I tell yeah, I'm the same way with eggs. Love em, and eat a pile of em. Scrambled, fried, on toast.......
Hey Fred, I never heard of a pan like that. Man! You sure are quite a chef. Seem to be up on everything.
I keep thinking back to that pic taken up here with the beer cans looking like a bunch of local hicks.
Can't figure you out buddy! :D

Gunny,
Hope you're feeling better buddy. I'm still fighting with my sinuses too. Weather is up and down here. I drove 60 miles in freezing rain yesterday to the taxidermist.
Good times.

Good to hear from you Griff! Still wrenching on that cart old buddy? Man, that thing is going to be quite the hotrod when it's done.
Or is it like my Jeep? It's never really done. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:45 amI tell yeah, I'm the same way with eggs. Love em, and eat a pile of em. Scrambled, fried, on toast.......
Hey Fred, I never heard of a pan like that. Man! You sure are quite a chef. Seem to be up on everything.
I keep thinking back to that pic taken up here with the beer cans looking like a bunch of local hicks.
Can't figure you out buddy! :D

Gunny,
Hope you're feeling better buddy. I'm still fighting with my sinuses too. Weather is up and down here. I drove 60 miles in freezing rain yesterday to the taxidermist.
Good times.

Good to hear from you Griff! Still wrenching on that cart old buddy? Man, that thing is going to be quite the hotrod when it's done.
Or is it like my Jeep? It's never really done. :D
Yep, love my eggs also. Got up to head off to match at 0539... and my son informs me that the match was postponed until tomorrow! Great news, rain & thunderstorms in the forecast today, sunny tomorrow! No brainer, right? So my son & I went off to town and IHOP for breakfast. Eggs, sausage, & strawberry & creme crepes! Yummy!I'd have eggs & crepes all the time if I knew how to cook crepes! Maybe I'll learn...

Gunny, likewise, hope you get over the sinus stuff...

Naw, the cart's pretty much done except for the shooting box/bench I want to install in the "bag well". Pitchy's folding wall table looks interesting, might adapt it to the cart!!! Had to run out to the barn to bring in some once fired shotshells to reload today... in the covered golf cart, trip was nice & dry! Between the puddles and rain, I'd have been soaked otherwise! I gotta say, with a proper choke cable that actually works, (yeah Eldelbrock), starting the Honda is a breeze, pull choke, crank engine and it fires right up... even in the damp 48º weather! Not to worry, I'm sure it'll get colder as winter progresses!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh I'm on the uphill end of this, hardly any symptoms today.
Claro had a good morning, just her & I, we got 2 birds. I swear I hit another but she couldn't find it. It probably ran just to get picked off by a hawk.

Wonder how the BAR gunner is making out with his chickens ?!

Those high carbon steel pans are great, chef Andy out at the club cooks on them all the time, even has a 20" wok that he makes his famous DUCK FAT french fries in. Man o man are those good!! Everything fried is good but fried in duck fat well that's a whole nuther kind of good !!

Eggs- I'll eat over easy on pancakes all day long ! Omelets, why sure! Fried egg sammich, without a doubt- especially if there is some swine critter on it!! Mmmmm bacon
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I WON THE MATCH! That's because I was the only one who showed up. It was cancelled and I didn't read my emails..oh well....I did have the range to myself as non competitors don't read their emails either so don't go to blast away with their AR's.

Shot up 150 rounds of '06 at various steel targets out to 500 meters.....The BAR is quite a shooter but after it gets real hot, it only shoots like a regular gun.....

OK Fred....that will pass my test.....looks like you like your eggs done "well done". I'll eat em anyway but no runny white stuff.

Yea...Griff....I've taken lots of things apart and most of the time they stay that way...unless it's worth money, like the transfer case in Ole Yeller.....put in a new chain and there's a series of plates in there that have to be put back in a certain way..like if one is off none of the others will slide in.....fours hours later I was driving it.....won't do that again.....

That was funny....with Jay being the "B". :D don't worry pal, I'm straight and I know you are too.....

Gunny is on the mend.....my nephew, who is a very muscular dude of 35 got it so bad he had to go to the hospital....been sick for a week and isn't gettin good better........well, only thing I can say is better him than me.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ooops I just forgot I was supposed to give you a wake up call! :D

I just loaded some 28s, trying the BP brush wad. These have no petals and I'm hoping they work well for my first barrel while birds are close.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea Gunny...I got to get you those 410 wads....saw them this morning....

Well.....if I get up at 6:15 tomorrow morning for the smallbore silhouette match that will be the longest string of early wake ups since I retired.....

Gonna use the Low Wall made in 1909 with the MVA 6x against guys with their Remington 40x's, Anshutz's, model 52's and their million power scopes.....it's really just a day of telling lies and bravado......maybe blow a few fanny burbs in the range house during sign up.....with the dry weather I've been getting some pretty big boogies so maybe I'll do some "picking and flicking" at the other competitors. Last summer I flicked one and hit this guy right in the middle of the lens of his glasses. It was like glue..stuck right on there.---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, on the eggs ... over easy us my style but I do go to past runny whites. Yolks still all fluid. Though, all the way to hard is ok with me.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I hear ya Fred....I'm pretty much like you...over easy and even solid....scrambled....omelette.....mom is the best egg cooker in the country, pretty close to old savage.---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, I like to season my carbon steel pan to match my Colt SAA.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is what it looks like when it arrives.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred....mom wants to know what you season your pots with......by regular cooking with butter...olive oil...?

I remember back in the day nothing seasoned a cast iron pan like cooking up a mess of bacon....get the grease, bits of bacon and grind it in the pores. Up in deer season last month Gunny and his brother did not like the way I cleaned their cast iron pan. I used simple green and bleach.......the pan had mouse poop on it.....I scrubbed it till it looked like new...triple rinsed it with hot boiling water......then dishwashing soap and another triple rinse.......cooked up some eggs with a quarter stick of butter and they came out crappy...but I knew that....by the third day they slid outta the pan.......

Well....going to bed early,,,,in about 10 minutes and waiting for Gunny to give me a wake up call at 5:50.....got to be outta here by 6:25....-------6......the man who going to be number 17 out of 25 guys tomorrow....THATS confidence! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six
GET UP

Clean your pan, put in about a teaspoon of oil in, spread it around then wipe out the excess. Put it in the oven upside down at 350, excess can then drip off.
The Gunny needs to hang his pans on the wall to keep the vermin out of them!

Oh well time to hit the GO button on the coffee pot.

I'm not going to tell you again-GET YER TUCKUS OUT OF BED
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK...OK...IM UP!. Whew! Ain't used to this crud....

I'm OOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFF. to the mighty gunclub with the mighty Winchester using CCI Mighty Mini Mags...
----6..................o
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Happy to be of service! Good luck !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good luck today Six!

Love the old cast iron fry pans. Nothing better than a well seasoned example.
They used to call em a "spider" up here. Did they anywhere else?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

OldWin wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:16 am Good luck today Six!

A Spider was a cast iron frying pan with legs to be used over a campfire. The legs of course kept it off the ground and up in the flames.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

piller wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:06 am
OldWin wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:16 am Good luck today Six!

A Spider was a cast iron frying pan with legs to be used over a campfire. The legs of course kept it off the ground and up in the flames.
Well THAT makes more sense. I'd always heard the regular ones called that and wondered why.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Parker had a VERY good morning! She played some fetch, had a nice walk and had 8 or 9 flushes! Made 4 retrieves, as I was the only person to actually hit any birds! Had a rooster that fell into the thickest nastiest pile of thorns, briars, vines- you name it it was in there. The bird was 10 feet up flopping. She was under it barking & whining but it wouldn't come down . I had to bull my way into that to get it in the bag. As I fought my way through I tore my chamios shirt to ribbons, was a favorite...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, seasoning ... there are many methods and I have tried a few. Started with what Gunny describes. Did it five times,. It did not work even though a couple companies recommend it.

What did work - coat it lightly with vegetable (soy) oil. Wipe the oil off until it looks dry. Put it in the oven for an hour at 500°. That is above the smoke point, 350° is not.. Turn the oven off, let it cool in the oven. I wipe a light coat on then use a pat of butter in cooking.

Oils - grape seed and flax seed oil did not work as well at all. The method I described worked on stainless steel, cast iron and carbon steel better than other methods including the bacon fry. The carbon steel turned blue because I heated it empty over the gas burner until it did.

I bought a couple of those Gotham titanium pans. You only need some butter with them and they work great. Easy to clean, not quite as tough as they portray but much more so than teflon.

I ordered another larger De Buyer carbon steel that I will season their way and use for more things.

Btw, bought a small lodge for $10, rough inside and preseasoned. It was nonstick from the start with a little oil and butter.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred.....never thought of your way....mom likes the idea...thank you....if I win page 35 with this post can I have your new pan? It'll save me on the vegetable oil and the hour in the oven.

Well...I got fooled...(so what's new?) me and my brother in law show up for the match and we find out it's a double match which means we have a 40 shot match in the morning...have lunch and then another 40 shot match. The winner is the guy with the highest aggregate. It was cold..35-40....rainy....not heavy but continuous...and WINDY....blows those little .22 rimfire bullets all over the place.

Shot pretty good in the morning match with a 26 x 40 and a so-so 20 x 40 for an aggregate of 46. Probably finishing around 7 th place out of 20 people. But...I was using a 110 year old Winchester with a 6x MVA scope with the first 3" of the barrel badly pitted against top notch bolt actions with $1,000 scopes. There were Remington 40x rifles, Anschutz, Model 52 Winchesters, a half dozen Ruger Precision rifles and a few other custom jobs.

If you can't read the wind you ought to stay home...I'm not real good but good enough to keep from being embarrassed. The wind was terrible requiring me to hold off 12-16" on the 200 meter rams and 6-8" off the 150 meter turkeys. Through out the day, the wind was changing direction by the minute. On the 200 meter rams you will hold off a foot to the right, the wind will change, and you'll have to hold off a foot to the left.....sometimes no hold off....sometimes the wind coming right at you and the shot will go low or a foot high...crazy.....and it's all on time with commands coming over the loudspeaker....2 minutes and 15 seconds to shoot five rounds....

The chickens at 77 meters (84 yards) are only 2" wide and a 10 mile an hour wind will blow the shot off a few inches. Pigs are 100 meters (109 yds) turkeys at 150 meters (164 yds.) and the rams at 200 meters..(218 yds)

Anyway, we had lots of fun, ate good, talked politics, farted a lot, told dirty jokes, and talked guns...a lot. Third place had a 52, second place was a 56, first place was a 60 and............Match Winner had a score of 61 and the winners name was GAIL, A WOMAN OF 63 Who shoots an Anshutz!!!!!. She even whooped her hubby by something like 10 animals.

I really need to get a real competition .22.

Here's a set of the animals with a ruler for comparison......----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, buy the pan. Ship it to me. I will season it the way your wife wants and send it to her. I have a new one on the way to experiment with.

Congrats on the steel chicken drill.