The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by piller »

Griff, keep watching for those new bumps. Squamous Cell Carcinoma isn't as fast growing or as deadly as melanoma, but it can still be serious if left to grow.

Say, weren't you the guy who jumped in to help that little old lady who was being attacked by a pit bull and got bit near the eye? Or, that makes a good story anyhow.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Excellent story... worthy of winnin' the new page award!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! Glad your ok, Griff. Good catch.
However...... we need a pic of that bandage job. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ain't fair...I responded to Griff and would have won page 32 but I forgot to hit the submit button when Donald Trump came on tv with his rally. Looks like I just handed it to Piller, who gets the prize.

Piller, I award you Pitchys bird house collection.

On a pnother note,,me and mom just watched Rambo, Last Blood on FIOS........Cost me $6 to watch a 3 cent movie. --6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh boy Griff! Hope you aren't too disfigured :D gotta be careful using the term 'chicks' anymore lest you are the focus of the PC morons! :lol: You could always say you were in a sword fight while you were serving in the secret society of anti pirate operation!

Geeze Six that movie sucked when it first came out- ain't like wine that gets better with age.

It's 10 F here, 3 windchill. Didn't get the batteries swapped yet. Gotta get them this morning.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea...cold here too..... don't know what the low was but it was 20 when I did decide to get up, somewhere around 11.

A bit disturbed at the moment.......I walked into the living room where mom was watching Fox and it seems like the Dems can hold up the articles of impeachment and that prevents Trump from running again. If the Dems wants a real deal revolt they had ought to do what makes sense because I can smell "Revolution" in the air.----Super Fly
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The Judge was on earlier this morning and if I heard what he said correctly the dumbocrate CANT withhold the impeachment...
I'm with ya, let's get the ball rolling!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Few more inches of snow this morning.
Well, my much anticipated Geissele charging handle showed up today. Couldn't wait to see if it lived up to the hype. I dropped it in my 10.5" 300BO I keep in the closet.
Gotta say, it's very nice! Way easier and smoother to rack. Feels exactly the same when using right or left handed.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well take it out of the upper and show us what's so special about it :D

Still living in an ice coated palace- dont think it got above 15 today!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Sheeeeeeeeetttt bro........got to 28 here.......it's now 24.......

Cabin fever.......got to bust some caps so I think I'll test out the 80 grain Bergers and Sierra's on Sun, maybe Mon depending on the wind. Got a few hundred 30-40 Krags to get rid of too...bring my steel plates and go-to-town.

Sheeeeeeeeetttt #2......Flattop on its way.............shipped out today.....6.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Cold here for the last few days also. The slave driver of an owner of this farm I live on, had me and my son putting in a new culvert under the driveway. Idiot also volunteered us to one for the neighbor also! Rented the track-hoe and dug about 55 ft of trench for the two culverts, Mine's about 35 feet, including the two ends. poured concrete around it today, got it about 2/3s encased, and will finish up tomorrow with sack crete over the top... then about 3 in. of road ben gravel to finish it off... Hopefully this allow water to run under the drive for another 45 years!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

As Griff would say.."this post is worthless without pictures.".......how much they charge you for the trackhoe? Is it one of those little ones....obviously.......(no 6, it has a 4 yard bucket)......I was thinking of renting one to clean out the little pond I have....I'm "hearing" $500 for the day.

I always thought it was real dry where you live.....---Super Fly.......hey Griff, your a semi old guy like me..you remember the Super Fly movies?---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm lucky, if I need heavy equipment I just call a buddy that owns a large earth moving company- anything from remote controlled trench rollers to D9 dozers at my disposal.

Picked up my batteries last night. $334.17 later! It's warm this morning at 17F, hopefully I can get these swapped out and not find another problem with the charging system.

Six bring up that model 24 of yours and you can bust some caps and take home a few birds with Claro's help. :D

Dems talking about a 'wine cave' more like a WHINE CAVE !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wow! $334 for batteries......I remember when you could buy a decent used car for $300.

Shooting some birds does sound good....it's been probably 35 years since I killed a pheasant. In the sixties - seventies pheasants were pleantiful.....then the game commission stopped stocking them and took the bounty off of foxes.

Did some minor gumsmittin' last night. Took the original long 36" Stevens scope off of the Winchester LoWall in .22 LR and put on the fancy dancy MVA long scope that was on the HiWall 40-82.....no drill or tap.....now that I have blocks in the dovetails on both rifles I can switch the scope in about 30 seconds.....

The old Stevens sure is a classy scope but the optics are pitiful, pretty much unsuitable after 150 yards and even then you need bright light.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

These are big heavy duty, make 750 cold cranking amps each. With 16.3:1 compression ratio ya gotta have a lot of OOMPH to turn over.
Batteries are changed, seems the right battery bulged, case was cracked. Thankfully the battery tray is plastic. The left side I had to get creative, the hold downs have a bolt through and a 'fixed' nut on the underside. The nut is fastened to a metal plate , the plate to the underside of the tray by 2 tiny plastic tabs. Had to drill 2 holes and pop rivet the plate to the tray. All fixed and truck is back in working order- except it's still encased in ice!!

And it's pronounced GUMM- SMIFFIN :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny...your too perfect....I would have just taken a 1/4" rod, tapped the end for 1/4 x 20 and double nutted it.

Ok ..."walking scientist" .......YOU, MASTER GUMMSIFFER.....what do I do????

There's two rifles standing upright...both Winchester Single shot Low Walls....the one on the right...22 L.R. is going to be my benchrest smallbore competition gun. It has a spl. order 28" full oct barrel and for the past 110 years it has worn a 32" Stevens scope which in all practicality is worthless as a target scope but is worth as much as a Nightforce so............I took it off last night and installed a new MVA 36" scope that used to be on my Hi Wall......

The one on the left is a 32-20 that I want to put the original Stevens on.....it's a no brainer as it's dovetail mounted but.....but...
I want to be able to see what I'm shooting at.

The Stevens scope is in perfect condition but the optics are dark...as if a film of something in on the inside of the lens....so.....In your infinite wisdom and worldly expertise as a first class gummsmiff who has progressed to the Admiralty Class of Einstein IQ participants, how do I rectify my slightly real but mostly magnified delusional dilemma?

I'm thinking Parsons Scope Service...you ever hear of them or their reviews?---6

I'm mostly worried about some idiot in the postal system bending this during transit. I have a very heavy cardboard tube I can put it in. This tube , in order to break it would require a lot of brute strength.------Super Duper Fly.... I would much prefer to drive 200 miles and deliver it in person.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well if it is dark as Nancy's heart then I'd definitely say there is something wrong. No, I don't know anything about Parsons, if they do these kind of repairs then I'd say that's your best bet. However I'd go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a 4' length of PVC pipe with the needed fitting to make a screw cap for shipping it in. Get the scope wrapped up with foam, bubble wrap - whatever ya got so it can't bounce around and ship it, insured to the hilt of course! I'd say 1&1/2" pvc would do nicely. Oh and pvc pipe has a crush rating of 3000 PSI- not even a Newark airport baggage handler will hurt it( ya know that old Sampsonite luggage commercial)!

Oh my first thought was to use a bolt and nut but the only access to the spot was to snake around the inter cooler, master cylinder- just no way it could be easily done with the battery in place.

After you get it fixed and reinstalled on the 22 can I have it?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't know dude! I'd be real hesitant to ship that scope man! That is really nice.

Hey, did you get the check?
Did the Flattie ship?
I'm all atwitter to get my mitts on that baby. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hey Gunny, did you ever hear that song, "United breaks guitars"? Those airport baggage handlers are deliberately rough on baggage.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I know all too well Piller- Dad was a professional pilot for 30 years, I spent a good bit of my childhood traipsing through the nation's airports. Got to see a lot of behind the scenes. That was when people had class, took the time to dress respectably, not like now when t shirts and shorts and shopping bags for carry ons!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny....common sense at its finest....thank you! For real, never thought about the PVC.........

A couple of years ago when I special ordered the MVA scope...$1200.....I asked the guy if they had a good way of shipping it as $1200 was big for a working class like me ......they assured me it would be fine........well, the scope came to me fine...but, it was in a long thin cardboard box in a styrofoam casing......would not have taken much to destroy it.......

Yea, I know there's insurance and all that stuff but the aggravation getting your money back is a major hassle........you would think that MVA would use PVC or something similar.

I tested the Low Wall out today at 50 and 100 yards......for a 110 year old rifle I can't complain......did NOT like Green Tag ammo...2" @ 50 and 3" at 100....meters........went to Mini Mag and one hole at 50 and an inch and a half at 100.

JAY......I WROTE YESTERDAY a few posts back...THE FLATTOP WENT OUT YESTERDAY!!!!!! No, didn't get the check yet but the post office is really busy. I did have a yellow tag in my box which means I either had a shipped product bigger than the box or something I had to sign....10 people in line....all uppity liberals ...screw that.....did I have to sign for the check? I DONT CARE IF OR WHEN THE CHECK COMES.....A check ain't nothing more than paper but the FLATTOP is irreplaceable. It comes with authentication that this gun was Bill Rugers personal Flattop and is gold inlaid with 4 carat diamonds as sights......the cylinder and barrel are solid gold and the frame was cut from a big chunk of emerald.

If you didn't get it today you will definitely have it tomorrow..... ....Undercover Bro
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh forgot....sure Gunny....you can have it.....it's only a stupid gun...besides, everytime my son visits he manages to load up his baggage with something....the same way Jay does with his dang buffalo coat.-----Super Fly
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay....post number 1560
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You forget Jay works nights , he is half asleep most of the time :lol:

Six when you get your scope back from Parson's SAVE that tube if you ever have to send something else long & thin out for repairs.

Emerald eh? Just how do you heat treat emeralds?!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh yeah.....I must have missed it. Sorry buddy.
Like Gunny said......... :D
Matter of fact, I'm sitting in my recliner kind of in and out now. Been up since yesterday.......sometime.
Sounds good. My buddy should be in the shop tomorrow. Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on that Ruger! :D
Shouldn't have to sign for the check.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six it's probably your invitation to the inauguration next January !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Dang....I just found a Flattop Ruger with a 4 and 5/8" barrel on the bench......and...and....my imitation pearl handled Sterling 25 auto is missing.......hope I did not get the guns mixed up.... :D

Oh..oh! I just remembered what I wanted to tell you guys.....

Sometime in the early seventies when I might have still been a teenager, I bought a Leupold 3x9 scope......used it till '95 when I sent it back to the factory to have a one minute dot put on the reticle and a outside turret for elevation ....to be used on a 257 Roberts for high power silhouette shooting......used it for a lot of years and had it on several other rifles until one dismal day last year my super dooper tack driving beer can accurate to 500 meter Remington 700 started shooting 3 feet groups at 300 meters.........so.......so........a year goes by with this beat up scratched up well used scope sitting on the gun bench.....so...........so.......

You guys like my drawn out stories don't you? :D

So........last month I send this near 50 year old scope back to the factory with a letter that explicitly says to let me know if it can be fixed reasonably and send me the bill....if it's too far gone just to trash it.

I never expected a reply. A couple of days ago a brand new spanking bright new-in-the-box complete with instruction manual 3x9 Leupold scope comes in the mail. Not bad huh? ---6......o aka Super Fly

Last edited by Jay Bird on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've always pined for a Sterling to go with my minty pre war Duo .25! :D
Good story! That's why I always buy Leupold. They are a class act.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup ya can't beat leupold!

Oh man a real life pimp gun! Pearl grips to boot- what a lucky guy you are Jay! :lol:

Warmed up over night, 18F darn near tshirt weather!

Guess there was some big goings-on in Australia last night, scanner app was all lite up this morning...?

Got Claro a set of dog boots yesterday, I'm worried she might hurt that toe again while hunting today and tomorrow. Talk about funny, put them boots on and she starts goose stepping! Couple minutes and alls well. But good for a few chuckles.

And now- COFFEE!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Warmed up here too. It's 5.
Yeah those boots are usually good for a chuckle.
We usually put the paw butter on Zoey, but she is just walking. Hunting is a different story.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey guys................5 degrees?......For real, life would near stop here......only cars going down the road would be people having to go somewhere.......

Jay.......got the check! Did you get the Raven 25 auto? :D Fed Ex will probably be late but supposedly by law, it has to be delivered overnight or two day at the latest........I didn't get a tracking number as the guy who was handling this was really busy when I called...in fact, he was breathing heavy. Don't know if he was out of breath or just happy he got an old Ruger tucked in his pocket.

Remember me telling you about the GIANT FUNNEL IN THE SKY that drops hard to find guns right to me?.... For real, no BS, I truly believe everyone is blessed in some way and guns keep coming my way without me even looking for them. Two or three years ago an old timer was in his attic about 300 yards from me......this old frame house has been in his family since the 1870's and many members of his family are buried in the church across and up the street from me.. ....anyway (this is a couple of years ago) he finds these two guns that have been in the attic before he remembers them..and he is in his 70's.......

......stops over and sells me an 1894 rifle in 30-30 and a '92 in 44-40. The 92 had a nasty bulge in the chamber but was a 85% gun and the 30-30 was a rifle that saw maybe a box of rounds but the bluing had freckled off. That rifle shoots like a scoped bolt action...I sold the '92.

Fast forward to this morning.......I go to to the post office to get the mail and guess who I run into? Yep! The old timer. We shanks hands and wish each other a Merry Christmas. He says to me after Christmas greetings, "hey Jack, I found another rifle and it's pretty nice, I'll bring it over after Christmas." "Sound fine to me." I responded. -----6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay.......have you ever used one of those no drill Pearson scope mounts?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey buddy! Glad you got the check.
Out at my buds shop now. Ain't seen anything yet. It'll show up. Its FedEx, not UPS? Yeah, I didn't think of tracking till this morning. Oh well.......
Holy smokes! I wish stuff like that dropped in my lap! Can't wait to see what you get next.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Seems none of the guys wanted to hunt this morning, just myself and 1 other member. So we shot the Schiff a while, put birds out for ourselves and went hunting. Claro did her usual stellar job!
20191221_101145-800x600.jpg
Notice her boot.
Got home, took off her boot-
20191221_105022-600x515.jpg
Well these aren't made for field use that's for sure!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny.....congratulations to Claro...I see you dat have a double barreled? I always though you were an over/under guy.

Can I have your gun and while we're at it can I have your truck too? If you throw in the dog I'll take it.

I woke up in a tent this morning....couldn't believe my eyes......then I realized that somehow a flannel shirt got under the covers.

Waaaaaaiiiiittttttiiiinnnnnggggg for Jay.......I bet he's excited about the box of rocks he's about to get.----6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm an O/U guy for competition but I hunt with a double as it's more classy. In doubles I have a 410,28 & a 12. I dont have an O/U 410 but do have a 28 and 3 12s.
As for your deal, the truck is owned by a lease company, as for my Rizzini 28 you have to get in line behind another guy and there is NO EFFING WAY you are getting my dog!! :lol:

Come on Jay we are waiting to see pics of this rusted up clunker Six sent ya!!

I do need to get myself a 20 in both varieties!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No show today boys. Now it gets tricky. Will have to watch for a ticket on the door. Maybe catch it at the shipping station.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Shipping station ? What did Six do send it Pony Express? :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

OldWin wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:56 pm No show today boys. Now it gets tricky. Will have to watch for a ticket on the door. Maybe catch it at the shipping station.
Some of that rock salt leaked out and those FedEx guys thought it was crank and opened the box, then threw the rusty blob in the trash. :D
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay....that sucks......I'll get the tracking number
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay...check your Pm...tracking number. The
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's ok bud. I'm sure they are pretty busy this week with Christmas.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Buying and selling a gun is easy...it's dealing with the shippers that's a PITA and whether or not the workers can read English.....or sometimes they decide it was THEM who it is addressed to.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah it's true. The rules always get in the way. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My son using the compactor to pack the recycled asphalt I got to cover the new culvert under my drive:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun, it was $320 for the track-hoe, + $80 for the trailer, (I didn't trust my 28 year old 7K lb capacity farm trailer for the 6.3K lb track hoe). The bucket on the hoe was 18" deep and just a little over the 12" wide for the culvert. Neighbor lent me his tractor with a front loader (Six, if I come up there will you let me have yours?), and man it made a breeze of moving the recycled asphalt around. 6 yards of recycled asphalt by the shovel full would take me several weeks. Now I'm ready for the rain comin' soon!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Actually, I'm planning a trip up to Atlantic City next September for my ship's reunion. You and GunnyMack need to be around for a visit. Maybe I'll bring a toy or two and we get in some quality time.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh yeah, if you click on the picture of my son, you should be able to see a video of him "working"... :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Can't promise anything but if I'm available I'll do my best to meet ya Griff.

Yes the delivery people are busy, past couple weeks I have been seeing FedEx and ups trucks on Sunday's.

So I decided to make Christmas cookies yesterday! WTF? Why are these so thin? D'OH- ya gotta add 2x as much flour when ya double the batch! Probably the reason why I stay out of the kitchen!

Well today is the family Christmas, im reasonably certain that I won't be given any guns...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Griff...thanks for the info....yea...you can have anything.......it don't much matter anymore ......it's all only "stuff".

Well......weather looks decent for a change..........----6