The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

You guys have me lost with the knives....only thing I can say is they look nice and maybe add "can I have them?"...

Nuttin happening here..me and mom cruised through the back roads looking for tornado damage.....the tornado must have bounced up and down...sometimes nothing for a couple of hundred yards and then wipe out.....the same pattern for a couple of miles.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh boy......won again......looks like I'll award myself the old Savage that Old Savage won last time.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You have a good daughter !

The day after hurricane Sandy I walked down the driveway to the road and walked the neighborhood. There plastered to the road was a dollar bill. No idea who, what, when or where it came from but I dried it out and put it in a picture frame. Then i started sawing the trees that fell across the driveway.oh and it was face up !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks Six, that saves us the FFL hassle and shipping charges and me reloading for another caliber whew! Load off my mind. 😨
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well....in honor of my friend Old Savage for his 72 nd. birthday I'm going to award him my cap gun from 1886. Take a close look at it...the one on top.....from a different era.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hi all, got home last night about eight, back out at5:45 was in a facility until 6:45 tonight got home at 8:00 missed the gun club meeting AND to top it all off
STILL NO NEW PICS OF SIX’S NEW SAVAGE.
You just can’t count on some people!! :shock: :lol:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like Mora knives. They are easy to sharpen, they stay sharp pretty well, and they don't weigh much. For the price, they are as good as you can find.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, I finished the, (okay, part of it)... on my wife's Chevy p/u. When she passed it had about 44,xxx miles on it... and one of the first times I drove it, I found a grinding noise when the brakes were applied. Investigation found the left rear brake was steel on disc. (4 wheel discs, which was a bit of a surprise as this was not the top of the line model, not base model either, but the middle of the road "LS" model). She'd never complained about any noise, and I'd driven it a few times in it's life, and never noticed it... Anyway a set of new pads & new discs for the rear, along with a new caliper for that wheel, as the factory one was stuck. At 16 years old, certainly not a warranty issue.

There'd been a couple of things I'd always wanted to do to it for my wife, one of which is to lower it, as her being 5'2", she'd complained about it being too tall... don't ask what she felt about my lifted 1-ton dually! Still wearing the factory tires, they were showing their age, so new tires was in the "need" column... and to two my golf cart, I didn't trust the bumper hitch, so a receiver hitch was needed. A rear cover to keep the weather and prying eyes off my guns for trips to and from the range... so a topper was in order.

Basically, how they look from the factory:
Mine has different wheels and a door protector molding... otherwise, very much the same truck. It has the little 4.8 liter V8 and 4-spd auto, but is quite peppy!

This spring I put a topper on it, then just before my trip to OR for my Mom I put part of 2" front & 4" rear drop on it to sorta level it out...
It was way too hot outside to do the front spindles and replace the front spring hangers on the rear... 'sides, that required cutting factory rivets and bolting the new hanger on. A job that 30 years ago, I'd have tackled in a heartbeat. Today... I didn't want to tackle this job in the driveway... the garage is full of other stuff, and the shop in the barn has my project Camaro in it... so off to a specialty shop!

1st phone call from them, "... uh Griff, your kit requires at least 17" wheels... and the factory ones are only 16"." I told them, that's ok, I've got 18's on order with new tires. "...uh, Griff, we don't want to have a problem, and what if your wheels and tires don't arrive? Bring the wheels & tires when you get them and we'll start."

Darned it... delay, then delay, then delay some more. Wheels arrived Tuesday afternoon, and I delivered 'em to the shop, they started and finished the modifications yesterday! The new look:

I tell ya, handles like a slot car! Even tho' the wheels are 2 inches taller, the diameter of wheels and tires are the same as factory... so I don't need to modify the speedo gear, and can keep my factory spare without much difference. The new wheels and tires sit out closer to the outside, 235/75 vs. 265/55. Dropped spindles and factory springs (although relocated), maintain factory ride, shop sent the truck out to be aligned, and it tracks straight down the road!

Yep, I'm pleased. Now all I have to do is get rid of the front headlights!
Very fogged over, and after many attempts to polish the lenses, they're still unacceptable.

Hmmm... maybe dual exhaust.... :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

All that work......AND ITS STILL A CHEVY hahahahahaj.
Ok I am done. I like the mods. The wheels and tires really help the look and more useful too.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Griff, that's quite a bit of work on a truck that old! But you are keeping the wife happy and that is what matters!

That cap gun is quite the curiosity! Does it still function? Looks like a little rust on the hammer!

Tom you need a raise! As busy as you are it's a wonder you haven't snapped! :D

Where did the week go?! I just realized it's Friday- gotta remember to take the garbage down as I forgot about the recycling on Wednesday.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Post office LIES!!!
I sent Catshooter's silverware divider on the 12th, paid for second day service - it got to Souix Falls last night, today is day 3 by my count!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Holy H3ll! Another page!
Knives, truck accessories, drawer dividers........it's hard to keep up during hunting season.

Griff,
That's good stuff on the truck. Looks real nice, buddy.

Can't remember if I said it earlier, and I'm too lazy to go back and look, but dad smacked a coyote with his homemade Trapper 94 from 1899. Still no deer for him.
It was 5 degrees yesterday morning. I'm in my blind now. It's all frost inside and now its "raining" on me. :(
Wow! A bobcat just walked by 20yds away as I'm typing this. I got a crappy pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I would have shot that cat! They eat all the cute & fuzzy critters. Oh who am I kidding I hate all cats be they 23.5 hour a day sleeping, litterbox using or lions!

Glad you are out again Jay! Are you trying to fill a doe tag or just out for the enjoyment?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's where we differ, Gunny. I like em! :D
Just out cause I love being in the woods on land I own. Don't like dad out here alone. I don't want to miss any hunting with him nowadays.
I'm tagged so I'm done for deer. I carry my 10.5" 300BO AR and watch for coyotes. Now those...... I hate! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I can tolerate a cat IF it's out living like the apex predators they are purported to be. But the fact they kill a lot of wildlife bothers me.
I'm sure sighting a bobcat is not a common sight for (ab)normal people- those of us that do spend time out & about are fortunate to see all kinds of stuff.
I hear ya about being out there, even more so to be there for your Dad. My Dad didnt hunt, wasnt a shooter but I do MISS him nonetheless! Enjoy your time, shake his hand for me, aw heck give him a hug! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

ALL THIS TALK! If me and Old Savage were dead, we'd never be missed!

Griff, that was quite a transformation....very low miles ....like my orange Jeep....for a vehicle that's a few years old.....plus, you guys have dry weather so that truck is still pretty much like new...(can I have it?).......the wheels and tires really set it off nice...(can I have the old wheels?)...........Dually pickups are like driving tractor trailers...too big for me.....looks like your going to make the Chevy a daily driver.....(can I have your dually?)...For real bud, you have the truck in tip top condition and it makes a great "extra"...kind of takes the stress off a bit...you know, when one goes down your still rolling........that's why I always had two Jeeps for myself......

I agree with Gunny......should have shot that cat...they kill many new born deer....shoot...drag...hide in Jeep....skin....talk....laugh.....have beer....laugh.....fanny burp.....save deer.... :) :D Funny thing, a game warden told me bears are the biggest killers of new born deer.....I dunno.....I'm just a nobody with a lot of guns.....

Tom PM ed me and wants to see more pictures of the 1899 Savage carbine. Here ya go bud...it's in there somewhere. (I'll get more later :D )

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Bears do get a lot of fawns. They are coming out of hibernation and are hungry. However, it's nothing compared to coyotes. The next morning there was zero sign my bucks gutpile had ever been there.
The cat was hunting rabbits. Lots of tracks of them and him in the area.
When I came out for lunch, I saw my dad had pushed a buck across my tracks where I went to my blind this morning. Gonna have him sit my stand this afternoon.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Miss that Jay....hunting with pops.....when he passed I really haven't hunted since as who your hunting with and the rifle your using is more important than the hunt itself......

Well...had the septic system pumped out today....26 year old kid who's not afraid to get his hands dirty. Great work ethic...I told him I was so happy to see him as I "have this 1,000 gallon tank full of democrats that I need to get rid of and Adam Schiff and Crazy Nancy are at the top trying to squeeze through the crack....hurry before they escape."

My intestines are in big trouble. Mom made this vegtable soup with imported tomatoes, celery, carrots, beef, CABBAGE, and some other things. It was so good when I started on it last night I must have ate 3 bowls of it....two-three hours later I was up every half hour and contributed to the contents of the septic tank. Talk about a clean out!!! Just ate another bowl and I guess I'll be back on the throne in another hour, blasting away with mighty force and splashing like a large meteorite hitting the ocean.....looks like a mandatory change of shorts tonight.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:17 pm Miss that Jay....hunting with pops.....when he passed I really haven't hunted since as who your hunting with and the rifle your using is more important than the hunt itself......

THAT, my friend, is 100% truth!

Oh man I hate that! Nothing worse than toilet water splashing up on yur azz!
That's when I miss an outhouse.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Wait until midnight then itll be Saturday, that way you are still on the once a week schedule!

I've got no ambition today. Went grocery shopping and now just want to kick off my boots & take a nap!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Being warm is starting to sound good! :D
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Gunny,

Drawer liner came today. Man, you know how to woodwork and pack the product! Beautiful work and not a scratch on it. What a pleasure doing business with someone who is ethical and a craftsman to boot. Thank you very much.

Cat
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thank you Cat! For the kind words and for letting me know it arrived whole!!
Now the big question- does it fit in your drawer?!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well, not sure about Cats drawer but my drawers have brown spots all over em. Too much cabbage. ANOTHER load of wood from my buddy....must be pushing 12-14 cords of wood around here.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Dont ever, EVER turn down free wood!!
After Sandy we had thousands of trees uprooted, some places had acres of trees down. The market was flooded and the price went from 200/ cord down to about 100.

Just turn them inside out, good for another week ( unless you did that last week :lol: !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I hear ya Gunny........along with good guns, there's few things in life you cannot have too much of. Locust is good for years without covering....most maple has to be used within a year or so, along with popular. Beech..maybe two years. Don't know what I'm gonna do with it all ......sure is nice wasting heat...leave the door open....who cares? Sometimes I'll open the back door to let the dogs run and just leave it open and let em come in when they feel like it....if it gets cold in the house, I'll just throw on another log. I'm a liberals worst nightmare......

I'll even have bonfires outside with no one attending except the cold air. I feel like it's my job to open the ozone layer to twice it's size. :D ---6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh Toooommmmyyyy! Unusual for a seldom seen carbine..... 100% original, even the sights, no cracks, bright bore, a few stock handling marks with nothing major, lots of blue, 20" barrel...ALL matching numbers, even the buttplate....did I say 100% original.....did I say CARBINE?... :D ---6.....no oil stained dark wood in the wrist area like you see on old guns. NICE....NO! You can't have it..but.....you can buy it.---6....lots of case colors left on the lever.... :D made in '24

Lookee at all dat lustrous blue!

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks guys, it'll be the "grocery getter" until I get the Camaro done... now that will be a project! Since the wife passed, I've eaten out exactly twice when home... out workin' don't count.

Sorry Six, but bein' as it was the wife;s I aiin' partin' with it, and the dually is needed to haul the golf cart, along with some other stuff.

Tom, yeah it's a Chevy, but heh, I'm not prejudiced, I let my son park his Ford on the gravel... (the Chevy was only there for the photo op) :P ... but... all four of our cars are paid for! Although the Camaro needs a new engine, will get a new trans, and a general remake... LS3 6 spd, and IRS, if I can find a shop to install it. Maybe you'll see it on "Garage Squad"... I wanna meet Christi Lee... :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Y A W N - wow I slept in this morning, woke up at 5:36. That's 21 minutes more sleep that I normally get! :D
Gave Claro a pain killer with her breakfast, maybe it'll make the difference hunting today?
Buddy sent me a pic of his Weimeranier , poor thing got the nasty end of a Drathar the other day. Poor dog got her head bite up, couple punctures up on the skull but one really bad at the tear duct!

Well off to the upstairs impeachment room to give some testimony!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Y A W N........no 5 am for me...9:45 today.....hit the sack early,...'bout 1......well....well...

Promised mom we'd head over to Costco today....THEN realized it was Saturday...screw dat...too many working class folk shop on Saturday...told her Monday.

That boy of mine bugging the living hell out of me to get some H&K mags for his MP5.....so...I go down to explain my dilemma to my bud...he GIVES me 2 mags AND a H&K mag coupler....worth about 3 altogether....also took along a Geiselle Super Select Fire trigger that sells for $400 .......yea, good guy..he was happy with my home gunsmithing on the 1873.

These triggers are for special ops guys with their m4's ...you can go from semi auto to full auto with a 45 degree push.....they WILL NOT turn a semi into full auto but will work like a charm for a competition gun with a 2 lb let off after a 2 lb. initial push...2 stage...people don't buy them because they are expensive and add nothing for a semi auto but for me, it was free. Talked to Geissele yesterday and they will drop in and for $12 they will send me a spring kit to reduce the trigger to 1 lb. :D

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Stainless combo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You must be livin' right, Six! :D

O.S.,
Why? Why must you do that? I don't need a reminder that I like 4.75" Colts! :D
I know it's a Ruger...... but still!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Ok then!

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

The 4 3/4" SAA, to my eye is one of the most beautiful guns . . . period.

Cat
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup, there it is! At first glance, I thought that's what you posted first.
I have 2 SAA' (not counting all those I stole from Six), and wouldn't you know, they are both 5.5". I can't trade em cause my kids like 5.5" best.
Just can't win.
Someday.......
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Catshooter wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:39 pm The 4 3/4" SAA, to my eye is one of the most beautiful guns . . . period.

Cat
Truer words never spoken.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OW, the only solution is to get a 4 3/4". I also have two 5.5", 44 and 45. All three were made in 79.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'll stick with my 4&5/8" Blackhawk 41mag. Or my 44 special ONE OF A KIND single Six!
PhotoPictureResizer_191116_141726930_crop_3500x2434.jpg
Glad to see you guys have carried on while I was out shooting down chicom chickens!

Had 3 guys with me today, Claro found and flushed 7 birds. It amazes me that 3 guys can unload 6 shots at one bird and not ruffle a feather! Out of 7 we got 4. One bird the guys did knock a few feathers off and I marked where it landed. Went to look after we finished up and sure enough it was where I thought it was- right in a big patch of sticker bushes! Stickers be darned is Claro's motto, she scent tracked the bird into the heart of it and came out with it in her mouth! Nose bleeding from thorns ! Best part is she has no pain this afternoon!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

.41, you say .41 ;-)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok now you are just showing off :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Wow Jack.
Gunny, glad Claro seems better.
I much prefer the 4 3/4 barrel length also.
Was out sucking up leaves cane in, cane to my therapy group. Now I gotta go back to sucking leaves.
Jack we will talk later, BUDDY OLD PAL :wink:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I wholeheartedly agree- LEAVES SUCK!!
Well I take back the 'no pain' remark- I did a little hands on test and she let a little whine out, so another pain killer/ anti inflammatory- gotta go see the vet Monday!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:01 pm OW, the only solution is to get a 4 3/4". I also have two 5.5", 44 and 45. All three were made in 79.
Yeah....I know.
My 5.5 45 was made around 1910. My 5.5 .357 was made in 70.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I have words for you guys...NOTHING matches the balance of a single action Colt with a 5.5 barrel. The easiest ones to shoot are 7.5 and we all know the gunfighters length of 4.75. Enough said.

OK, two Muslim women were out in the garden digging up 🥔 potatoes. The one woman is holding up these two huge potatoes and said to the other woman..."these potatoes remind me of my husbands testicles". The other woman says, "that big huh?"
"No" says the other woman, "that dirty".---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OW, no excuse for no 4.75".

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Gunny,

Put the draw liner in tonight - fits like you just might know what you're doing! Thanks again man.

Sorry Six, but four and three quarters is the answer. :)

Cat
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Cat...Gunny's been in bed for four hours....he usually calls it quits around 8-9....but if you wait around for another 3-4 hours he will be up.. Go have a beer, blow a few fanny burbs and he will be along.

I've never owned a 4 and 3/4 Colt. .........the 7.5 is the prettiest while the 5.5 handles the best. I've got two 4 and 5/8" Flattop Rugers and as far as I'm concerned, one is enough...let Jay have the other junker. :D
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

The short Rugers are pretty too, just not "Colt" nice.

Six, now that you're done with the lumber vacation you went on are you gonna get back on the mould project?

Cat
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

4-¾" is best... I think I'll get the 7-½" that belonged to my wife cut to 4-¾". I always thought she liked it... but, no... whe also preferred the shorter length! A good thing!! Although, Sixgun, it's a slightly used 2nd Gen "presentation" model that has not engraving... Should I leave it alone? Am I ruinin' it "value"?

Finally figured WHY the new parts gun wouldn't cycle... darn gas block sat off center and cut off half the available gas. Getting centered wasn't too troublesome, and cycles like a champ now!

And for dinner... brats & 'tater salad!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six you got me pegged! Yes sir I'm usually out by 9pm. Well I charge my phone and when it's done I turn it off and set the sleep timer then Zzzzzzz.
I learned a long time ago how to read a ruler, also learned not everyone CAN READ a ruler. People would come into the lumberyard and ask to have stuff cut. After cutting something to a persons length an hour later the boss is yelling at me cuz it was too short. Fine customer makes the mark at length and i cut now its outta my hands!! People cant tell a half from an eighth!!
However in this case the customer can read a ruler just fine!- I'm very happy it worked perfectly!!

Well I slept IN this morning, 6:20!!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!