The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Old Savage »

Thought I would share a picture of one of my off road vehicles in the National Guard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

One of YOUR off road vehicles? Your tax dollars at work or you own it ? :D

Oh it's the BOTS- they are responsible for DJT sitting in the White House! :lol: :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh and as Winner of PGA 16 you win a... umm... 200' of used horse fench with gates !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yes Gunman, mine, maybe I should have said our. I also had a deuce and a half, a 3/4 ton and a jeep. Those were all WW II vintage. Wow, logs, a trailer, and now 200 ft of horse fence. Just wait til Six finds out he is putting up my fence. I will want pics ... of all my stuff at his place.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here are a couple packages I got from Six before the accident. Haven't opened them and boy does he pack them tight. AND my Ameruca's Cup yacht, the Abracadabra. Well it was mine for 20 min.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm sure ol Sixgun wont have any problems with YOUR fence!!
Friend has a couple Duces, they only get used for parades. If I had one I'd drive it to go get groceries!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wow! Old Savage sure is a lucky guy....wins page 16 and has some serious toys...me and Gunny are headed out to play....you,got that baby all filled up with diesel? I figure Gunny knows how to drive it and we will go to downtown L.A. and fix that homeless problem up...what cha think Gunny? Ya ready to play?

Just took some pictures...sun is going down.....the first two picture are Old Savages prize for winning page 16.

Fred.....here's your logs....I thought Griff picked em up.

How's this for quality? Got to do the section on the other side of the gate.

I saved this insect infested 8 x 8 for whoever wants it. These are from the same group of 8x8's that I cut the 10" section off of back in April....and it came flying off the table saw.

Ahhh....got tired of loooking at the walnut logs so I burned em.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage...how's the fire going on out there? Big news here. All joking is done when these things happen....I think of all of the wild animals that suffer and how it turns people's lives upside down.---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The fires have drifted from the news but there was one threatening some homes today but the choppers were right on it with their drops.

Looks like a lot goin on at your hacienda.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:59 am Thought I would share a picture of one of my off road vehicles in the National Guard.
I was a gunner on the ITV version of the M113 in the Kansas National Guard. We could take out all known Russian made armor at 3,000 meters. Prior to that I was Active Duty Army, and was the gunner on the HMMWV with a TOW II missile launcher. The TOW II on the HMMWV was lethal to Russian armor out to 3,750 meters. It used thermal sights for night work. The thermal sights saw infrared energy and could see through smoke, brush, and camoflauge netting. At 1,000 meters I could follow a 3 inch by 6 inch rectangle moving at 20 kilometers per hour for 1 minute. I did it in qualification each month to retain my position as gunner. That was the required standard in the 2nd Infantry Division at the time. Curr Ahee!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Cant say I've ever driven one but bet your bottom dollar I can figure it out!
I can remember my uncle cutting fire breaks with a D9 back up in the foothills around grandma's house. Cant tell ya how many times the brush fires went around her house! Boy how I miss sage brush.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One time we had a walnut get all twisted up in a tornado, and it was small enough the heartwood was only about a couple inches in the center. I had found out that it splits like a deck of cards with virtually no force required, so cut it all up for firewood.

My brother's wife's dad was a talented home-woodworker, and built all sorts of chests and cabinets and tables, often using walnut and/or cherry.

When he heard I was "burning walnut for firewood" he about had a fit....he was envisioning me taking ten inch planks of heartwood and burning them..... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Rooours m

Post by Old Savage »

Ours were basically used for transportation. We had no armament. They would run over small trees in the field if necessary to get to a position for forward observers for the mortars.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

There's two things I've never played with...a Ma Deuce big 50 and a military vehicle. ...other than a deuce and a half my buddy had. I was thinking of buying a Russian tank for "backyard maneuvers".

You guys remember the crazy John DuPont who went to jail for killing that guy in the nineties? He used to live maybe 10 miles from me and one time back in the eighties a buddy took me over there for shooting in his indoor range. He had several military armored personnel carriers there that he used to play with on his estate. He also had a real nice Civil War cannon there and when John went to jail he had my bud get him better food and for payment he gave him the cannon.---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, the M2 50 Cal. Only shot one once. They had it on a hill with vehicles 3/4 mile away. We were shooting tracers. You could see them ricochet about twice as far as the the targets were. We put a lot of rounds though 81 mm mortars. LOUD!!! Blew up 5lbs of C4. Saw a 106 recoilless rifle shoot a 55 gal drum of gas ... now tgat was a show. Also saw 75 M16s fire full auto at once with tracers on night fire ... another show.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Military does have some fun things for us to do. Blowing up an old tank with a live warhead on a TOW missile was fun. Setting off a Claymore that was attached to a tree was informative. The tree ended up missing over 2 cubic feet of wood. The area in front of the tree was completely turned into confetti for about 40 yards. The steel balls carried further, but they were spreading out by then.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

As I kid I got to climb around/ into a Patton tank( i think) , friend of the family was in the National Guard and it was an open house event. I know I enjoyed that but Dad was having a hard time getting me out of it! :D

New fence looks good!

Live fire is something I surely would love to experience, the military has all the good toys!
HAPPY RUGER DAY!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

"Experience live fire?".......just take a walk in any large inner city, preferably away from the large business districts where the cops are......in Philly, they even shoot kids for fun...a little two year old girl was shot with an AK the other day....animals...

OK, IIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmm oooooofffffffff to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Concordville....don't know why, I feel really good but for $25 I'll even feel better.......----6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, you should come to Hollywood to be a writer. Have a friend that does screenplays you two would hit off great.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Not that kind of live fire, I'm talking BIG stuff, howitzer, tank, 20& 30mm stuff!

I'm trying to go see my local wizard myself, feel like what comes outta the south e d of a north bound buffalo!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I never got to drive it, but I gave them the coordinates to point the gun...
mostly because I could understand the Aussie in the Piper Cub who was spottin' targets for us during Uncle Sugar's SEA war games.

I did get to fire the 50cal once, but mostly sat on the fantail with the m1919 30 cal sinkin' jettisoned fuel tanks when we did one stint of SAR.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I say Griff wins.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I second Griff wins. All in favor say aye.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Aye...Griff wins but.....OS brings in a close second. By the way, I was out back today playing with my new toy. This baby is bbbaaaaaaaddd........---6

HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I never fired anything larger than a 40mm Mk19 grenade launcher (I despise that weapon). The MaDeuce is as awesome as its reputed to be, of course.
I never got to put any rounds through an M60 but the M240G I have a lot of rounds through. It was a serious downgrade to that weapon when they "upgraded" to the 240B. I'd really like to try put an H&K 21E someday as that is reputed to be the best mmg.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My kid cranking a .50 and sinking an apprehended drug smugglers boat.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Some guy stole a National Guard tank out here years ago. Rampaged through town then down a freeway until he got it stuck on the meridian.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Aye!

Good for the boy Jay! I say shoot those smuggler boats up then look for survivors!

You better not shoot your new toy unless it has rained, the muzzle blast is gonna set the back pasture on fire!

Sure wish I hadn't sold my collection of Trident missile's !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well here we have it, something useful. Because none of that stuff I did with the Army and National Guard is that useful.

A beer opener ;-)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks Gunny.
Yeah, he has some stories. :D
He was a boarding team member and maintained/serviced all the weapons on the boat. Original MOS is ET. He used to call and thank me for teaching him how to shoot and use firearms haha. :D

OS,
I remember that! They shot the guy didn't they?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw somewhere that in England the ownership of a tank by the citizens was perfectly legal as was driving them on the public roads. I'd suspect that rubber treads were mandatory!

Oh I'm sure your son does have some real stories! Be nice to sit and chat with him or any other service men just to hear about what they have seen, the public just don't want to know the reality of what it means !

What week are you hunting? I used to go up for thanksgiving- many moons ago! Millinockett area.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay........I LIKE dat!......Talk about having fun...blasting a beaners row boat out of the water....little surprised because with the way liberals are doing things...figured they would tow it back and dispose of it in another way...you know, you don't want to get 2 quarts of oil in the billions of gallons of ocean water. :D

Once again, some guys get to have aaaallllllllll the fun. Good thing I'm not in charge as there would more than that boat going down to the bottom. (Of course, I'd keep the drugs, ya gotta party somehow)

Found Stonewall dead this morning...we had him 30 of his 40 years. Kind of knew it was coming as he's been lethargic the past couple of weeks. Yesterday he was laying down in the far back corner of the pasture and would not get up. I went out there a dozen times until midnight giving him feed and warm water to make him comfortable. Poor guy, it was raining like crazy and there was nothing I could do. Can't believe I have to go out there with the Kubota, put a strap around his neck and pull him a few hundred yards up to the house. That takes a lot out of ya.----6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Aw Six that's tough to wake up to. You gave him the best years of his life for sure. Sorry bud!

Never made it the Wizard yesterday but I'm going very soon. I still feel like I'm slowly being pulled forward. Just goes to prove the earth sucks! ( ya know , gravity) :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, Condolences on Stonewall. End of an era.

Old Win. Yes, with the tank stuck on the median divider they breeched one of the hatches and shot him in the tank.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks guys......Well....the people who pick up dead horses just left. OS, your right, end of an era. Near half a century of having horses ....gone for good. Thinking about a bottle of Jack but that will just make it worse.--6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

With Griff bringing in military firepower and sons included this may be the big winner. Son did seven tours on a ballistic missile sub.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Was that one of the Trident missiles?
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Six, condolences on the death of your horse. To have had him 30 years, you must have grown attached.
D. Brian Casady
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

piller wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:19 pm Six, condolences on the death of your horse. To have had him 30 years, you must have grown attached.
Thanks Piller...he was my buddy and he depended on me 3-4 times day. After Stonewall got to be around 35 he could no longer eat hay due to his teeth being ground down. I had to feed him around 15 pounds (summer) to 22 lbs (winter) of sweet feed a day mixed with warm water in order for him to get nutrition. He could eat grass but it did not digest well, sometimes coming out of his mouth in clumps. I never complained as I loved the big guy, a warmblood. I feel pretty much lost at the moment.

We love animals more than people and it hurts...but life goes on, so they say.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm so sorry, Jack. He had a good life because of you and your wife.
I've never had a horse, but I can see that it would be a strong bond. Especially because they live a long time.
Don't bother getting the Jack Daniels. I have a jug right here and will raise a glass for you, old friend.

On your earlier comment, yeah, they don't do any tow backs. They got a boatload of Haitians one time. The pilot who stole the boat was wailing and begging them to tow it as they would kill him when the CG brought them back. They said "sure, no problem". Then they cut the rope and turned the 25mm on it.
Strangely, the CG has more leeway than most services. If the Navy did that, it would be an act of war. The Navy regularly keeps CG personnel on board so they can stop vessels and skirt the rules.
Here is the boarding team with two "hot ones" cuffed, sitting on the floor. My son is standing by the upright.
Here is a pile for you, Six. Fourteen million bucks worth of coke. My son is on the left.
Now he is back in Alaska doing what he likes. Sent me these the other day. All the old lighthouses are abandoned and run remotely. They go in and check/maintain them. Lowered in from a CH60.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Gunny,
Most of our hunting is deer and partridge. Less frequent is Moose, bear, coyote, rabbits.
Millinocket is northeast of us. It's a very pretty area. I work with a lot if guys from there.

OS,
That's a "Boomer"! Nice. I have a connection with those as my company built the drives for them "back in the day". We had Navy inspectors right on site. The Tridents stealth was a big deal and closely guarded.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So you can deer hunt the whole season? Pat'ridge eh ? Hmm I got a couple labradors that would love to hunt those!!

Sure hope those chopper pilots EASE those guys in so they dont break the replacement light bulbs!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The lead engineer for the original Trident was my Uncle. Uncle Jess was a brilliant engineer, but not so great with people. He couldn't understand why aeronautics was not a simple concept for everyone. For a farm boy from Turpin, Oklahoma, he did well in mathematics.
D. Brian Casady
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Piller,
Your uncle did a great service for this country.
Those Tridents were a HUGE leg up for the US during the cold war.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Gunny,
If you count archery and muzzle loader season, it runs from October through the second week in December.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

He figured out something that a bunch of other rocket scientists overlooked. When the first stage separates and the second stage ignites, the second stage is pushing off from the moving solid mass of the first stage for a short time. That causes the second stage to move farther and increase velocity faster than if it was only pushing against empty air. Realizing that was what allowed him to be able to figure out how far and how fast the missile was actually going. Everyone else was overshooting the target. The idea of having the missile align itself for re-entry by using a star chart was suggested to him by his Father---my Grandfather. Lockheed patented the idea because they were the employer. Standard protocol. The ideas you come up with for your employer can be patented by your employer. If you want the patent, you must do it outside of work and in such a way that it does not violate any contracts.
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well just for fun on the way home from the golf course I took a picture of the super secret Skunk Works. ;-) The SR71 explains no UFO sightings. Takes hundreds of mikes for it to turn.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Most UFO sightings that I have heard about involve turns that the SR-71 cannot make. One sighting down by Waco, TX a few years ago involved a coyote hunter using a starlight scope who read "Not a step" on the side of an aircraft that was making turns that were not typical of aircraft in the known area of operation. Sounds to me as if it was some type of military aircraft.
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Retired SR pilot neighbor told me something came down and flew beside him.

And how far and how fast was this turning aircraft from the coyote hunter?

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't remember that information. All I remember was that he didn't recognize the type and the "Not a step" on it.
D. Brian Casady