The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by fordwannabe »

You guys are making me miss my old half ton f150. It was a wheeling machine. Around here we mostly do mud and a little rocking. Was 1977 with a transplanted 460 with 550 dyno’d horses and enough torque to pull a house. A 6 inch lift with first 36 then 38 swamppers. Had an automatic with a aftermarket torque converter and a shift kit. Roll bar lights all around. A 9000lb Ramsey in a custom bumper(read VERY STOUT) and probably my favorite feature... running two big green army tank batteries with a huge alternator and an isolator. The winch and lights were run of one battery and the engine was runnof the other BUUUT I used a piece of welding cable and a continuous duty solenoid so I could hook them together when needed. That 460 had the L and L headers and ever though they were fenderwell exit they LOVED to heat up my starter. When using the winch hard it would start to fade. Flip the switch and all the battery you could use. It really was a great setup for its time but Inthink some of today’s batteries have more capacity and power than those big ***’s but it was cool looking under the hood and seeing two big green military batteries.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm sure that little 4 banger does fine, I'm a big fan of inline 6's is all.

Sounds like you had that 150 well thought out !

Rice pudding smells SOOOOOO good... another 40 minutes or so before it comes out of the oven.
Oh wait, it's ready now!
20190914_112420-600x800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sounds like a cool old Ford, FW. The 70' trucks were the best looking for all the big 3. They were also the most balanced between, driveability, usability, and durability.
Miss the old days.......

Gunny,
Oh me too! IMO, the 4.0 is the best Jeep motor bar none.
The 4.0 with the 258 crank as a stroker is even better, but not a factory offering.
I am NOT a fan of V8's in a jeep.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

We used that old truck of mine to pull and at times push 18 wheeler tractors around the yard. Good motor good tranny good cooling system good electrical,bad brakes (just too small for 36’s and 38’s) and it had the HD Dana 44 but still a little light for what we were doing with it. I kept two spare front axels rotor to rotor at all times.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A buddy o mine had. CJ5, he got a 258 short block and he got a freshly a machined head, mid range cam & Holly 4 barrel for it. We then pulled the stock 258 and installed the upgrade! That winter he came upon a guy that had slid off the road into a pond, went home to get a couple chains. By the time he got back some nitwit showed up and got stuck trying to pull the 1st guy out. So he hooked up to #2 who was hooked to #1 and yanked them out together. Ya can't beat torque!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

'Ole Yeller has not been on the road legally since 7-16....once ever couple of months I fire it up, drive out the driveway, make a left, go 200 yards and turn into my inlaws....down their driveway, into the pasture, and drive back home....it runs as good as it did when I had it on the road. ---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

First go at Tri Tip. Turned out great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

The Winners Circle

Post by Jay Bird »

Yes, it was full of action in the Winners Circle at the gunclub today. And yes, yours truly had an exceptional day.......in smallbore silhouette I got my highest score ever, a 35 x 40....the highest score in all classes....all offhand with a pre War Marlin with hunting sights.....yea! Go Sixgun! :D

Then, after the smallbore match we went to pistol caliber levergun silhouette of which I used an original 1873 Winchester 44-40 made in 1883 with just a hunting bead front sight, standard tang sight, and a FIVE POUND trigger against guys with new rifles, match eley ammo, 1 pound triggers, micrometer match rear sights and fiber optic front sights. I won first place in that match in my class AAA with a master class shooter getting match winner. I got a 30x40

There is a first place pin for each class, B, A, AA, AAA, and Master and the overall highest score in all classes gets the Match Winner pin......

That's what I like about the Gun Room....we are all in the Winners Circle with our individual talents which almost always includes what this site is about.....GUNS!---6

Results will be posted on the Atglen Sportsmans Club website in a few days.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Congrats! Great performance with those old shootin irons :-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's fantastic Six! Very good, glad my coaching sunk in! :lol:
See this is why I NEED a 25-20 levergun- so I can come down and try this game!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

A heartfelt congratulations to you Six! That is just awesome! The fact that you shot it with old originals with period sights just puts icing on the cake.
Nothing beats a great day at the range. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks guys! But remember, we are all winners here on Leverguns.......ALL of us! We are one of the longest lasting internet chat room for guns...

So...on 3...clap! 1.....2......3.....clap clap....clap clap.....clap clap-----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hip, Hip, Hooray!
(Insert sound of beer cracking) :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Congratulations Jack! Well done.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

That excitement didn't last long.......I have four guns to clean....lots of brass to clean and reload..........bought 400 once fired .308 and 06 off a guy at the club for $32 but I want it all shiny.....oh...oh.....bought one of those Remington stud guns that you use with a .22 blank of some sort to put studs in cement, through steel, etc.....came with like 10 - 12 boxes of six different powered blanks and a whole poop load of nails, studs, threaded studs, etc...box, instructions....gave the guy a Grant for it.---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Second go at posting my first go at Tri Tip.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh good, I could use some of the low power cartridges! I have a dummy launcher ( for dog training) and it uses the blanks. I tried the high power ones but they go waaaay too far!

Tri tip looks mighty good from here!

NOTE: allow the bratwurst to sit for a while after taking them off the grill- burned my tongue pretty bad last night!

Hey does anybody know if IMR has discontinued PB powder? Can't find it on their website.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Yeah. Off I go. Seems a CNA rolled a lady out of her bed during incontinence care yesterday and she hit her head on the bedside table, resulting in a bleeding vessel in the brain. About and hour and a half ride.
Craig Morgan sang “what I love about Sunday’s” I don’t remember brain bleeds and probable death in that song. See ya.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred......I am most likely the most non educated food connoisseur in the history of the world......my wife cooks...I eat.

But I can tell by a picture if something looks good and by looking at that expensive cut I'd say you did it with perfection. Was that a "grill job"?,,My brother in law was telling me at the match yesterday that he killed 2 large beef and three 500 pounders last weekend. It's that time of the year.......

Hey! It's a nice day today,,,maybe we will fire up the grill later on.---6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny...don't recall seeing pB around for quite some time. I've never used it. --6

Not a huge fan of rice pudding.....looks like you have it done properly. My wife loves it....
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six guy, that was a grill job and it was on sale $3.99/lb. And ... if you bought $50 in meat we had a coupon for $50 off - score!

Now on the opposite end from Wheeling in Maine in the mud was the Pasadena Pops last night at the Arboretum outdoors with Michael Feinstein directing the orchestra and famous broadway singers to include the first full production of Judy Garland's Somewhere Over the Rainbow in the original arrangement since 1938. That musical arrangement was lost all these years. All this under a rising fullish moon at an outdoor concert where peacocks roam the grounds. As fate would have it I had that morning on the way home from The Gun Shop driven by Judy's childhood home when she made the The Wizard of O,z. All my daughter's idea, she likes to take to these things.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Mmmm peacock! Taste like pheasant- which it should as they are in the same family.
Last week at the club one of the guys brought a smoked brisket, said it was on sale for 2.99 a pound. We ate more than half of a 12 lbs brisket!
I just learning how to make the rice pudding, either my oven is too hot or I need to cut the cooking time down, this batch is over cooked- AGAIN!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Scoooooooorrrreeee! You really scored Fred......I asked mom as she is the resident meat expert.....her dad was a farmer and a butcher....the butcher business is still in business. So.......she said "what?! " as to tri tip...."oh, that's just a fancy name for the end of the sirloin".

Everyone looks well behaved at the concert......sure looks like an upscale adventure.....obviously a "gated" affair.....your livin' large bro! ...you ought to see these outside concerts in Philly. They usually pull a couple of dead bodies out of every one that's held.....police on horseback are a must.

Well, to show you my excitement for the day ......washing big blankets in the Maytag wringer this morning.....couldn't get the water to drain...(gravity) Found a dime in the hose...it's a perfect size to clog things up....

Off the subject, this thing happening in Saudi Arabia is going to bring big repercussions.......seems to me that it's an act of war that Donald is not going to put up with.---6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny.....mom says you either used too much rice or cooked out the water........

Hey guys,,,,,we is playing while Thomas is on the road......I got to cut grass....be back around 4.

Fueled by my massive win yesterday, I'm gonna get ready for a major practice run tomorrow at the gunclub.......I'm bringing the BAR and the LWRC CSASS both loaded with the new 155 Sierra TMK's......the winner between these two go to the long range match next Saturday....---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yep I do believe Mom is right! Next batch I'm not going to cook is as long!!
Glad your shooting bug has been re lit !!
Just sprayed some lawn weeds. Darn Japanese stilt grass is a pain in the neck to get rid of.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tell Mrs Six, thanks, wondered myself. There are different ways to "break a beef", she will know what that means, producing different cuts and of course, we go for fancy names out here. I grew up on and around farms in rural NJ 20 miles north of Philly. Shoveled a lot of manure and loaded a lot of hay.

The crowd was older arts people, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and California Institute of Technology people, a sea of gray hair up front. Kind of looking the part here ;-)

Did get in two more chili dog tests, The Hat and the Nathan's food truck, neither a winner but the data must be gathered.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nathan's dont hold a candle to Berks Meats FIESTA DOGS- Jalapeno & cheese, 1/4 lbs each.

Well I dont know who is more wet- me or the dogs? They just had their fall bath. Boy howdy do Winnie and Parker love the garden hose! Claro hates the hose, have to tie her up to wash her but she swims like a fish!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So I decided to sit down and start loading my stash of 218 bee. Of course it had to go through the tumbler. Then I deprimed 50, yup too long by .010 +/-. Ok break out the manual trimmer. Naw too much cranking! Hornady Case prep center- yeah that's the ticket!! RCBS shell holder dont work too good with prep center... no big deal just drill the center hole larger , letter M is the drill. Ok time to trim but the cases wont sit right. Holy cow the shell holder has cracked between the top and bottom!
20190915_161108-600x800.jpg
Yes, Hello Amazon ? Please send me a Hornady #7 shell holder- be here in a couple days.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Dang...never saw a cracked shellholder and I probably have 150. They are hardened steel and don't drill too easy.....RCBS #1...same as 25-20...32-20....tried to chamfer a few to make them sit on a hand press....nada.....and I ain't going through the bs of softening/drawing....

Fred...once again, nice pics and nice family....you really look like your taking it easy...even brought your own chair.

Well, just got back from the Republican Party corn boil held at a neighbors 2 million dollar farm...man! What a spread this guy has. I was introduced to the people running for judges for the county seat......I made it clear, you guys will get my vote, just stay away from my AR-15's. They agreed .......our county was once 90% republican and with redistricting and the proliferation of births from the city areas, it's now running about 50/50.

They had more food, beer, wine, everything there...even a live band...bunch of old heads playing the fiddle, cello, acoustic guitars. Dang! Could not eat any of the food....way too much salt, couldn't drink any beer or wine. Another of my neighbors, who is a small engine expert had a 1915 Larson hit and miss engine there for show.......I was shooting the bull with him and he said, "watch this, ill fire it up."....spun the wheel a few times, played with some gadgets, hooked up a wire and that baby ran smooth......clunk, clunk, puff....clunk, clunk, puff...he had it running for an hour and was still running when I left. Every now and then he would hit certain points with an oiler.

Got back too late to get things ready for tomorrow....looks like Tuesday now for the gunclub.---6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Big news from Colt

Colt has decided to stop making AR-15's for the civilian market. As far as I'm concerned , their AR's are the best "meat and potatoes " AR's ever made for durability and accuracy. Believe I have five? Of them.---6

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/ ... e-for-now/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think the shell holder cracked when I grabbed it in the vise, had the drill grab once. And yes they are harder than Sanders's skull !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun Jr wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 pmWell, last levergun silhouette match of the season tomorrow.....gonna use the case colored model 39 in .22 for smallbore and an 1873 in 44 that was made in 1887. Fun day on the horizon.

I love showing this stuff off. Really swells my head. :D original from 1939. No Tom! You can't have it!

Gunny you can't have it! I'm claimin' it!

Oh, and what is up with the "sixgun jr," moniker.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK, Ok.....Gunny can have the side in the top picture and Griff can have the side on the bottom picture.. :D

Oooohhhhhhh. Happy Days are here again oh happy days are here again........ :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Fine, Griff can have it but you must allow it to stay in Six's vault so he can continue to use it for small bore matches.

So could I use my #1 in Bee for these matches? It's got a lever!?
Someday I have to try silhouette shooting, seems like it could be fun. Of course I don't have anything to use except my Henry 41. Sure I have 22's but not in levergun...

Texting with Tom last night, he had a very busy day! Sure hope the state pays his fuel bill, lots of miles eh Tom?

Big interview today at 11:30!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Email from Hodgon- PB has been discontinued! Replacement is Winchester 572. They did not elaborate as to it being a direct replacement.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well, sure wish ya luck at the interview. Kind of late for the wish as I got up while you were on the road. I wanted to recommend that "don't be yourself" and sound intelligent.....act stupid and retarded and you will get the job!

Gunny....nope...218 Bee not allowed....causes Target damage. My first year doing this (2006?) I used my bee and the target setters said "somebody is damaging the animals". It was traced to me. :D it must have been a national issue as that year was the only year because the NRA soon outlawed all .22 centerfires for pistol caliber levergun matches. It's also a possibility that in those days the animals were not hardened steel like they are now.

Sure....41 mag would be great....about 6-7 gr. of Bullseye or 231, possibly 7 of Unique would make a great load for pistol caliber matches which are 40-100 meters......it can also be used for big bore levergun matches which are 50-200 meters but you would need full power loads for the 200 meter Rams and possibly the 150 meter turkeys.

I got to laugh at some guys who use full power loads in 44 magnum for pistol caliber. We are only knocking down steel animals. I tried to educate a few but they say they prefer the full power.....after the fifth round they are flinching.

If you wanted to play one day you would only have to make it as far as my house, then the 26 miles to the club from there in my Jeep. Goes for any matches...you would like the 2-500 meter half scale matches...I believe we are the only club in the USA who is doing it as our guys thought it up.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred...went back and looked at your picture again....you look like a teenager with that phone in your hand. :D --6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Notice the plastic straw in the plastic cup. :)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I can say the interview went surprisingly well! The owner says to me 'I see you are a gun guy'- yup sure am - you will fit in here we are gun guys! I am now gainfully employed as of 10/7. Got a couple projects I need to get finished before I start punching a time clock.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yes....i did notice the plastic straw and meant to make a comment about it. Your bad Fred....now, go to your room and no soft stuff for a week! :D (I know your laughing)

Yep....it's the 1920's all over again.....something big is gonna happen and put everyone back in their respective roles along with a dash of common sense.

OK, Wadda am I gonna go today? Already walked the yard and picked up branches. I still have a lot of splitting to do and maybe get ready for the club tomorrow for a full day shoot fest and get ready for the big match this weekend. Geeze, every weekend is "The Big Match". :D ---6

HEY...JUST GOT THE NEWS ABOUT GUNNY!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS! Your a bonafide working stiff......what will your duties be?

Hip hip...hooray!.....hip hip...hooray!

Everyone please clap for Gunny!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Please, please- no applause- just throw money! :D
This company makes state of the art printing machines. Everything used in daily life from car brochures to medication boxes go through these machines. I'll be doing work as a machinist, electrical wiring, assembly so far. The company has machines all over the world so maybe some travel too ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Congratulations Gunny! I wish you well in your new endeavor.
Is it close to you? Hope there isn't a long commute.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks Jay! 12 miles away and I've already found the back road route to avoid the highway that is choked with traffic lights!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good for you, buddy! Coming from a guy with a 55 mile commute for 32 years, I'm glad it's close! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The last commute I had was to the lumberyard, less than 3 miles- this drive is gonna drive me nuts! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Suuurrreee........ rub it in buddy. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

:lol: yeah I HAD to do that! Although I'm sure your 55 miles is completely different than 55 miles down here with the amount of traffic here.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. I got NO DOUBT about that haha! :D

Man! There WAS a re-hab facility over in Farmington. They called cause they said they smelled propane. FD showed up.......BOOM! There is just a crater now. Lools like 911. At least one fireman dead, several severely injured. The blast ring is huge.
Crazy. Feel terrible for those folks. Small town so everyone knows or is related to them.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw that on the weather channel this morning- or was it fox news... terrible thing to happen.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

That's terrible Jay......never did like gas in a house...it ain't nothing to spring a leak. There's explosions all the time in Philly...

Well, the Gunny is working with modern printing machines.....mmmmmmmm.....Clorox a mess of ones and reprint them to Jacksons.....only joking here......don't want someone calling the Feds on me...... :D

Buddy dropped off 4 logs today...walnut.....one of them is real straight with no knots.....I told him but he don't want to deal with it.....probably 18"....another has a slight curve to it and the other two are firewood. Other than that, nuttin going on.

Oh! For 42 of my 43 years at the plant, I had to make four right hand turns and one of them had a stop sign...1. 8 miles

The nice one is the second from the right, with the v cut in it.---6