Out for my morning walk early this AM

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Out for my morning walk early this AM

Post by JimT »

I was rewarded with a P-51D Mustang coming overhead, approaching the airport. Far enough out he did not have his gear down yet. Close enough that he wasn't too high. Love the sound of that engine!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Out for my morning walk early this AM

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah man nothing sounds as good as those old war birds! The Rolls Royce Merlins are great but what I really love is the big radials when the throttle is up against the firewall - I sure do miss the Reno air races!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I like the sound of the radials also .... love listening to them at idle. I crewed a de Havilland Beaver back in the 1960's .. Pratt & Whitney R985 (Jr. Wasp) 450 HP. Had a pilot who would not let me crank start it if the battery was down. He hand propped it! Amazed me the first time he did it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Dad always wanted a Beaver, on floats of course for our fishing trips but they were well outta his price range! I told him lets get a DC3 and put that on floats- carry our own boat that way!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm lucky to live across the hwy from McChord AFB and the ajoining Ft Lewis.....sounds of freedom. There are also many small airports in the region and prop planes from every generation are in the sky at any given time.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I am another addict. Here are some radials. A friend just took his first ride on a B-25 last week in California. He has already notched the B-17 and B-24.

ImageMVI_2025 by ComeWatson, on Flickr
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Oldest son lives in the middle of nowhere but obviously close to someone with friends in high places. Last week he called me to report seeing not one but two P-51s flying formation over his place in northeastern Oklahoma, near the Arkansas line. They did a big loop, taking it up to just hang on the prop then recovered and moved a half mile or so north and did another one. He said the wing man had his nose painted yellow, I suppose to show he's a rookie. Son was a crew chief of an A-7 on the Forestall and he was very impressed. Loved the sound of the engines.
When I was a kid we lived near Tulsa, under the flight pattern so I've seen and heard just about everything. Had a B-36 fly over me while walking back from a hunt a few years back. Knew instantly what that sound was. Very distinctive. When I checked it was being ferried to Akron.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those old planes are really a joy to watch.

When I was a kid, I used to enjoy seeing the Bonanzas on their maiden flight out of the factory. Those little planes are nothing like the warbirds, but it was fun seeing the brand new planes take off. It was a couple of miles from my house.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

When I was fresh out of high school I went to the vo-tech in Helena. I was in the A and P program (airframe and power plant) I was gonna be one of them there ace aero plane mechanics. Unfortunately My major turned out to drinking, partying, and chasing wemens.
A certain grumpy old man said he was not paying for me to be a rectal sphincter. I had to go get a job. So I love looking at airplanes but I never finished school.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:39 pmHe said the wing man had his nose painted yellow, I suppose to show he's a rookie.
No, probably to honor a fellow who'd flown one like that in the war.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:03 pm Dad always wanted a Beaver, on floats of course for our fishing trips but they were well outta his price range! I told him lets get a DC3 and put that on floats- carry our own boat that way!
My Dad wanted a Beaver on floats too. He knew a pilot in Phoenix who had flown a DC-3 on floats during the war. No details, and not sure of the pilot's name. My first ride in the DC-3 was on a ferry trip to Anchorage. I was maybe a year old and don't remember a thing about it...

http://www.douglasdc3.com/float/float.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grizz on Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

There is an A-26 in restored condition that flies around here. Saw it on the tarmac in Bremerton, and he buzzed a ferry I was on one day. Great round engine sounds . . .