NRA Lever Action Silhouette shooting.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

NRA Lever Action Silhouette shooting.

Post by Marvin S »

So I plan to look into shooting some local monthly matches in an attempt to get out for more exercise. I started shooting Muzzleloading club matches again the first of the year and am having renewed success with using my lite weight 36 cal squirrel rifle. Bad back and two bad shoulders has made shooting heavy hard kicking rifles about like taking an butt kicking.

So for the three category's I may consider shooting (Small bore) Ill use my Marlin 1897 Texan with a skinner sight. For (Pistol Cartridge) I would like to try my Mod 53 Win in 25WCF. Do you all think it will do the job or should I go with a larger caliber I have such as 32WCF .357 Mag 38WCF or 45colt ? For (Rifle Cartridge) would a .357 Mag do it or will I have to go to a rifle cartridge ? I have 30wcf 32spl 32-40 33Win and 38-55.

Ill be using hand cast lead bullets either plain base or gas check.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: NRA Lever Action Silhouette shooting.

Post by AJMD429 »

I've never shot silhouette other than the handgun metallic silhouette shooting back in the 1970's, but I'd think the first guns to take to matches would just be your FAVORITES that qualify; once you are comfortable with the rhythm and environment, THEN if you need a heavier bullet or flatter trajectory or whatever, swap to a different shootin' iron...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What a neat idea. Hope you can jump in with both feet -- and report here! 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm sure Sixgun will be along soon to toss out a comment or two, he does a lot of those shoots. I've done it a couple of times and had a blast with a Marlin 39 and Rossi .357 for the pistol cal. I only had the original rear sights on both, hadn't really known what to expect the first time. The rifle category targets are pretty good size and heavy, not sure a .357 Mag. would knock them down w/o a really high hit on the target. The other's you mention would work just fine. The only time I shot in the rifle category I used a 336 in .35 Rem that had no problem knocking them down. :D

By the way, does anyone know of any matches in Ohio?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm with doc AJ -- the whole attraction of silhouette shooting is for fun, so shoot what you think your would most enjoy shooting on that particular day. I shot with my Rossi 357 last year and switched to my m92 38wcf this year just for grins. Will probably go with something different next year just to mix it up. That said, our silhouettes are hanging steel things where we count a "hit" as anything that makes the steel "sing". Which occasionally gives us old semi-deaf people some trouble, especially with the 22 rimfire shoot.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I am the Match Director at Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club in Burney, CA and we shoot lever action silhouette every month all year. Your Marlin Texan with it's octagon barrel is a perfect choice for Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette. Most of our shooters use standard velocity ammo with good success.

For Pistol Cartridge Lever Action Silhouette, the .25-20 is an ideal centerfire cartridge. It is very flat-shooting and requires little sight adjustment. There is no problem taking down the Rams. We have shooters using .22 LR, but with the thicker targets, they sometimes ring the Rams. The most popular calibers around here are .22 Magnum rimfire, 357 Magnum, and .32-20. I use a Cimarron 1873 Winchester in .32-20 or an original 1873 in .44-40.

For Centerfire Rifle Cartridge Lever Action Silhouette, the .357 Magnum will work, but does not take down Rams reliably. A few years ago NRA made a new rule that for this discipline only that the Rams had to be soft-set, that is they had to be set back on the stand nearly to the tipping point, in order to make the .357 Magnum take down Rams. At our range, prevailing winds push the Rams over if soft-set, so we just hard set them and count the hit even if the Ram does not go down. Even a .30-30 will often ring the Rams, but a .30-30 is our most popular caliber. I prefer .38-55 as it has mild recoil and takes down Rams very well. I also like my repo 1876 Winchester in .45-60 and my 1886 Winchester in .45-70 using light 300 grain cast lead bullets.

Here is a picture of a very marginal hit on a Ram near the horn hole, taken with my .45-60, and darned if that Ram didn't tip right over like it was supposed to!

It's just about impossible not to enjoy silhouette shooting. Seeing those targets tip over when hit is a real hoot. Let us know how it goes for you!

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Thanks guys, it sounds like I’m pretty much set. Maybe next month I’ll have a go at it.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I put on NRA silhouette lever matches at our club for four or five years . It was enjoyable for me when folks showed up , but in the later years I might get two or three shooters . Not fun dragging out all the targets setting them up then no one shows .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !