Marlin Cowboy 44mag worth?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Marlin Cowboy 44mag worth?

Post by Thunder50 »

Gun shop I visited had on consignment one of the Marlin Cowboy 44mags. 24" barrel and didn't look like it had been used much. Almost bought it. Still thinking about it, but wondering what they are worth?

Was thinking about one of the new Winchesters 1873's in 357mag, but I like the Marlin Cowboy guns too
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin Cowboy 44mag worth?

Post by AJMD429 »

Gunbroker.com's "completed auctions" will give a real-world price. I'd not be surprised at $1,000 or therabouts, but I don't know that much about current prices. I know a 357 Mag 1894 with threaded muzzle runs around that brand new.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'd stay away from it.....slow twist in their guns necessitate lots of load development in order to be accurate. I've had em and have known many others and the answer is always the same....maybe 3-5" at 100. Bore diameters also run large...mine was .432 and I sent it back and they put on a .431 claiming it was in SAAMI specs.

But if your happy with jacketed bullets and high velocities go ahead.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Six said +1 . Mine shoots into about 1 1/2” at 50 yd with 250 gr. cast bullet loads. That is more than adaquite for deer hunting in my area. Jacketed bullets will all cut a tight little group at 50 yd. that’s about my limit these days with iron sights.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Thanks. I am a cast bullet shooter, so I think I will stick with my 45 Colt Marlin Cowboy.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, given the choice 45 Colt is a slightly more versatile cartridge and the twists seem more appropriate from what I've read (which sometimes is conflicthing).

OTOH if a person has a bunch of other 44 Mags as handguns and rifles 'choosing' 44 Mag 'instead' of 45 Colt would make sense. 44 Mag pretty versatile.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "