GLOCK 43X ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

GLOCK 43X ...

Post by 1894c »

I have been carrying a Glock 26/27 since 1996 as my BUG/EDC, they first came out in 1994. I bought, carried, and sold about every single-stack 9mm twice, but always went back to the G26 (Gen4). But when the Glock 43X came out with the silver slide I bought one and it has completely replaced my G26 as my BUG/EDC (recently sold the G43X silver slide to another LEO and picked up the G43X with the black slide).

This is one amazing Glock, holds 10 +1. I like the full size grip, especially if you have to pull it out in an emergency, hides in my uniform, I can pocket carry it if I want, it's accurate, recoil is very manageable, I like the weight, it's almost a redesign of the G26, and it holds 10 +1, did I already say that (gave up on the 5-shot snubs, things are too weird today to only have 5-shots and a slow reload...YMMV).

First photo is me dumping the stuff out of my uniform after working 12-hours on a 10-hour swing shift, long night with the great unwashed...stay safe... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: GLOCK 43X ...

Post by Blaine »

Those are real dandy. It's too bad they can't shave a few oz off of them.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've been a fan since 91, bought my 23 used- he didnt like the recoil of 40. Since I cant carry here it lives in the headboard. The Trijicons are about wore out- I'm too cheap to replace them.
Sure I've had a few 1911s, S&W wheelguns but I always felt comfortable with the G23.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Glad it is working for you, 30-30. Current carry is the smaller 10 + 1 Sig P365, but I am just not bonding. In my hands, the grip doesn't quite line up the sights right.
Man, you're the one who needs to stay safe.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:10 pm Those are real dandy. It's too bad they can't shave a few oz off of them.
BlaineG -- I hear yah, but I think the weight is pretty good, especially when your shooting it. It very easy to carry all day too. Although you can't go wrong with your Glock 30... :)

Glock 43X - Weight with empty magazine 18.70 oz -- Weight with loaded magazine 23.07 oz

Glock 26 Gen5 - Weight with empty magazine 21.69 oz -- Weight with loaded magazine 26.07 oz
Last edited by 1894c on Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:12 pm Glad it is working for you, 30-30. Current carry is the smaller 10 + 1 Sig P365, but I am just not bonding. In my hands, the grip doesn't quite line up the sights right.
Man, you're the one who needs to stay safe.
Bill in Oregon - I tried the P365 last year for about 6 months, great concept. But I didn't like the primer drag at all (was concerned about the potential of a broken striker) , but the P365 is one accurate pistol... Thank you for the reply about staying safe, we always have cover for most calls today, or at least we know that someone is always drifting our way when we have a stop or a call--we monitor each other and dispatch is always worried about us (dispatch are the Angels that are always there)... :)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

30-30, having spent decades in newsrooms with emergency services scanners in my ear, I have at least a partial grasp of how your shift might go on any given day -- totally unpredictable, and from utterly routine to "shots fired" in a split second. I don't know how you guys last so long on such a tough job.
In Oregon, the state police ran different numerical codes from the county sheriff and local PD's. I used to know them all, but -- like the Morse Code I learned in Scouts long ago -- I can recall very little any more. The respect I have for LEOs will never diminish, however. Same goes for the dispatch teams.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've never owned a Glock but have GREAT respect for them. No gun made in the last 50 years has taken off like the Glock has...I remember when they first came out and how the liberals were saying they could be easily sneaked on an airplane as they were plastic. :D probably everyone I know...and that's a lot of gun guys.....has a Glock and have never heard one bad thing about them. My son has probably 10 of them in all calibers, a few fitted with suppressors.

Sorry 30-30...can't comment on your 43 but......I have confidence on your decision and if I do decide on a Glock, I'll take your advice. My current choices of handguns were designed in 1873 and 1911.--------6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't like the grip on a Glock, but they are accurate for me. I guess that means my opinion of the feel is not necessarily what is important. As far as reliability, what can be said? There is a mountain of evidence that they are as reliable as anyone could ask.

I have a full size Glock, and rarely carry it due to size and no carry at work. When I go to certain parts of Dallas, I find a way to bring it. I try to avoid those areas, but it is not always an option. Texas allows for carry of automatic knives, and I find the Templar D2 steel blades to get sharp enough to shave with. If someone is within arms reach, I can remove their sensor organ cluster in about one-fourth of a second. More than arms reach and I could be in trouble.

The jury selection is happening for a Dallas Police Officer accused of killing someone while off duty. Based on what facts I know, I would never convict. It was a horrible accident, but it was an accident. I hope all you Officers stay safe and stay aware.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:39 pm My current choices of handguns were designed in 1873 and 1911.--------6
SIX -- we have two LEO's who carry 1911's, they're close to retirement, but were grandfathered back in the day. Both have two Wilson Combat 1911's (they switch back and forth between the two), both are very good shots, both are some of the toughest men I have ever met, and both are great examples and mentors to the younger LEO's, and both hate Glocks and have no issue in reminding us why. Apparently if it's not designed by John Browning well... :)
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
1894c

Post by 1894c »

COSteve wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:31 pm I'm comfortable with the 40 and 180grn loads so I'm sticking with them.
COSteve -- we are walking away from the .40S&W just as fast as it showed up, which is somewhat shocking. With the current bullet technology with the 9mm the .40S&W is losing traction in many LE Agencies. I transitioned back to the 9mm about six years ago, presently carry a Sig Sauer P320 Compact in 9mm.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

An acquaintance of mine just told me yesterday that a guy who shoots at his range has no put 86,000 rounds through a Glock 17 he owns. Which generation it is I do not know but that is a lot of shooting!
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I spent a little time recently looking at what I'm calling the "mid-size" carry guns..not the extremely small ones. It's a category I have created in my own mind to describe handguns that I could use to engage targets beyond 5-7 yds with confidence, without going to a full-size Duty weapon. I did a side-by-side comparison of the Glock 43X and a Sig P365.
To me...FWIW...it wasn't even close. I put the Glock down almost immediately and took it off the list to consider. Too much bulk for what it delivers, compared to other quality options.
I like Glocks, I have owned 2 and currently have a G-17. It's a GREAT handgun for what it is. On trips, I carry it (readily accessible) in the truck, not on my person. In a REALLY bad situation...I consider the small pocket pistol I'm always carrying to be sufficient to give me a chance to get to the Glock.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

guido4198 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 am I spent a little time recently looking at what I'm calling the "mid-size" carry guns..not the extremely small ones. It's a category I have created in my own mind to describe handguns that I could use to engage targets beyond 5-7 yds with confidence, without going to a full-size Duty weapon. I did a side-by-side comparison of the Glock 43X and a Sig P365.
To me...FWIW...it wasn't even close. I put the Glock down almost immediately and took it off the list to consider. Too much bulk for what it delivers, compared to other quality options.
I like Glocks, I have owned 2 and currently have a G-17. It's a GREAT handgun for what it is. On trips, I carry it (readily accessible) in the truck, not on my person. In a REALLY bad situation...I consider the small pocket pistol I'm always carrying to be sufficient to give me a chance to get to the Glock.
Was it the weight, or the size?
My EDC has been an LCP, and 5-10 yards is about as far as I'd like to depend on it. But, I can slip it unnoticed into a pocket.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:19 pm
guido4198 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 am I spent a little time recently looking at what I'm calling the "mid-size" carry guns..not the extremely small ones. It's a category I have created in my own mind to describe handguns that I could use to engage targets beyond 5-7 yds with confidence, without going to a full-size Duty weapon. I did a side-by-side comparison of the Glock 43X and a Sig P365.
Was it the weight, or the size?
My EDC has been an LCP, and 5-10 yards is about as far as I'd like to depend on it. But, I can slip it unnoticed into a pocket.
BLaine..it was the size of the G43X that caused me to put it down almost immediately after picking it up. I also carry an LCP quite often. I recently upgraded mine with an MCarbo spring kit that REALLY helped the trigger pull. Lighter and smoother and 100% reliable. That modification has allowed me to extend my "confidence range" a bit, at least up to the practical limit of the sights on that little pistol. I also just got a Pmag 7-rd magazine for it that I have yet to try out. It doesn't seem in impede my ability to get it out of my pocket, which is how I carry the LCP and definitely "fills the hand" a little better. I've also added a few wraps of friction tape to the grip.
On a related note: At the same time I put the MCarbo spring kit in my Kahr CM9..same result: 100 % reliable, and extended the range at which I can confidently engage a target. The Kahr has much better sights than the Ruger. I suspect the Ruger's sights are now the limiting factor, especially so with my poor eyesight. I can do better when I'm using my specially made shooting glasses, in which my optician has monkeyed with the scrip to give me a better sight picture for irons. Unfortunately I can't count on a bad guy giving me time to change glasses so ALL of my range practice is done wearing the glasses I have on for daily use.
Sorry to get so far off the G43 topic...Hope this helps.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

The reason I chose the Glock 43X may be different than why others would choose a Ruger LCP, and I definitely believe that the LCP has it's place. But my main focus in choosing the 43X is to use it as a BUG to my duty gun. I like the 9mm caliber (same ammo and caliber as my Agencies service weapons), the size, weight, mag capacity, the extended grip -- which will make it easier to draw and shoot under stress (have already qualified with it). It has been difficult FOR ME to draw a smaller weapon like the LCP out of concealment under stress during quals, the tiny grip size has also limited my shot placement -- again that's been my experience, YMMV. So in the end, for me, bigger is better.

Never seen any LEO that I have been associated with, or an LEO from another Agency with a filthy cruddy service weapon, Never even heard of such a thing. We have three armorers within my Agency that check everyone's weapon during our quarterly quals or if someone discovers an issue (seen more broken Glock 22's, mostly springs, pins, extractors, and once I saw a broken slide rail). Our LEO's are required to clean and check their weapons before they go on duty, which is common sense. BUT, I'm sure that there are some stupid LEO's somewhere that don't, and if they don't check or clean their weapons daily their placing themselves and other in jeopardy... :O
Last edited by 1894c on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

30-30 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:27 pm The reason I chose the Glock 43X may be different than why others would choose a Ruger LCP, and I definitely believe that the LCP has it's place. But my main focus in choosing the 43X is to use it as a BUG to my duty gun. I like the extended grip, the 9mm caliber (the same ammo and caliber as my Agencies service weapons), and the size, weight, which will make it easier to draw and shoot under stress. It has been difficult FOR ME to dig out a smaller weapon like the LCP out of concealment under stress during quals, and to be effective with my shot placement -- again that's been my experience, YMMV. So in the end, bigger is better.
I'll freely admit it: I'm just not inclined to holster up.... :oops: :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:29 pm
I regret that I live within a culture that requires some to holster up, I carry 24/7, always. And even at home a firearm is very close, I've seen way too much stupid not to do so, but I long for the day when it's no longer necessary... :(
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

30-30 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:52 pm
BlaineG wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:29 pm
I regret that I live within a culture that requires some to holster up, I carry 24/7, always. And even at home a firearm is very close, I've seen way too much stupid not to do so, but I long for the day when it's no longer necessary... :(
As I sit at the computer, or go watch TV the Glock 30 is within arms reach. The LCP goes everyplace. Out here in Westeros, the natives are dangerous.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:54 pm Glock 30
Nothing but love for the Glock 30, I tried it, but it did not fit my hand, but what a great option, extremely accurate too... :)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Get a good gun that fits your hand if you do not have rules about what you can or cannot carry. If it fits and you like it, you are more likely to have it with you when you need it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

piller wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 pm Get a good gun that fits your hand if you do not have rules about what you can or cannot carry. If it fits and you like it, you are more likely to have it with you when you need it.
1+ ...wisdom ... :)