Sako side lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Sako side lever

Post by Marlin32 »

Have opportunity for a Sako L61R 300 win mag. Have not laid eyes on it yet, might be a "deluxe" model,
If in good condition a might consider it, for the right price.
Any opinions on them?
I have a Sako Forester in .243 that I like very much, figured the L61R would be similar.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Sako side lever

Post by piller »

I don't know anything other than Sako has a good reputation. As a member here it is my duty to make sure you purchase as many firearms as possible. Go for it!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a '50s vintage Sako .222 Rem. that is the most accurate rifle I own. At 100 yds and a 50 gr bullet you can cover a five shot group with a dime. The L61s have a great reputation for accuracy.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I had one of the Sako Bavarian carbines in 308 and really liked it but the gun fever got a hold of me and I eventually sold it off to buy something else.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

I used a Sako Finnbear Deluxe (L61R) for 35 years to hunt all over the North America and Africa. My oldest son now has it and is following a similar pattern. It still puts 180 gr. Nosler Partitions into 3/4" at over 3000 fps and is one of the deadliest rifles I have ever used. It fits me extremely well, is well-balanced, and looks good to boot. If the price and condition are right, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Thanks, none of you are any help, just talking me into buying another rifle, (as if I needed help)
I am going to buy it if in good condition, and I suspect that it is.
Don't need it necessarily, have a Weatherby in 8x68mm, but its at gunshop right now, just doesn't feed well as if the cartridges were too long (RWS factory and my loads)
Not sure what deal is, if Weatherby didn't quite have the specs right? Or cartridge OAL specs from Europe not the same?
So, if weatherby is a no go for whatever reason, not much difference with the 300win, Norma makes a 200gr oryx as well as the 180gr, so not losing a dang thing.

And it is relatively heavy rifle I suspect, compared to today's guns. Recoil will be about the same, distance, elk/moose effectiveness.