Double rear leaf sights?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Double rear leaf sights?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I just was gifted a CVA percussion double in .50 and while it has a front sight, the double rear folding leaf sight is missing. Pedersoli has put this double rear on its Kodiaks as well. Anyone know where I might find one?
TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Re: Double rear leaf sights?

Post by TANGO 4C »

The Pedersoli Kodiak sight is listed here (part No. 49a) https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopd ... 27Kombo%27
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks, Tango. At $168 for the assembled sight, I will make do with something else.
The rifle came with a scope and mount. The scope is a very interesting late 1950s Weatherby Imperial 2-7X "dual dial" made in Germany. First time I have actually owned one.

Imagefullsizeoutput_121e by ComeWatson, on Flickr
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:45 am Thanks, Tango. At $168 for the assembled sight, I will make do with something else.
The rifle came with a scope and mount. The scope is a very interesting late 1950s Weatherby Imperial 2-7X "dual dial" made in Germany. First time I have actually owned one.

Imagefullsizeoutput_121e by ComeWatson, on Flickr
They kinda remind one of the old Weaver KV variables . Had three or four of them , seems to me they were something like 2.5-5x .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Bill, gunpartscorp.com have a rear site for CVA, if it is right or not I dont know!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Will, er, Gunny. I'll take a look. Also thinking that adapting something like the Skinner might make sense. With scope mounted this thing weighs about 10 pounds. I'd have to start weightlifting to actually carry it very far in our 9,000-foot elevation woods here. The smith who so nicely restocked this did not allow for a ramrod, so I also need to see if there is such a thing as a collapsible -- or I could just fit some ferrules.

Imagefullsizeoutput_1224 by ComeWatson, on Flickr
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

This page may also hold a potential replacement. I have a 2 leaf from them on a Win 71.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Rimfire. Hadn't even thought of NECG. I have gotten some good stuff from them.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Does that base have Weaver cross slot? You could put a red dot on it- take some weight off that way.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Yes it does, but my inner firearms conservative says a red dot would be even "wronger" than that scope ... :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah well if the African PHs use a red dot on their doubles it cant be all bad.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Don't mean to be a downer but most of the lower cost (anything under $8,000 is lower cost in doubles) double rifles had two leaf rear sights because it was meant to sight in each barrel for its particular and separate rear sight. For the money made off lower priced doubles whether, ML or cartridge, they can't afford to regulate the barrels which is the most costly part of a good double. They can and will shoot quite well using the two independent rear sights although it can be a pain in the rear flipping sights when using the other barrel. In rare instances, one will shoot fairly regulated (sub 5" at 50 yds). If you have one of those, drop whatever you are doing and run as fast as you can to the nearest convenience store and buy a lottery ticket because you are on a role. Short of that I doubt any single sight would work very well.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Lever, I've had four of the Pedersoli Kodiaks in .58 and two in .72 over the years. I could usually find a load that with one of the sights would hit a grapefruit with both barrels at 75 yards. Nothing stellar, but useful. That said, all I can find on the Spanish CVAs is that regulation is a crapshoot. So I am prepared for being chagrined. Should have stuff in hand to shoot this in the next week, week and a half, and will report.