What is worst?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

What is worst?

Post by JNG »

My son is a Firefighter Paramedic and a RN part time in the E.R. at a local hosp.
A retired Firefighter that all my sons hunted, with him and his son.
He past away in a area that was my son in as a 1st response zone. He did all he could do.

It hit him hard. But is it more heart breaking to Fire and Police to see young folks maimed and killed!
I retired after 34 yrs a Police and Fire, because it got to me. 13 dead kids in last two years "that I found as A Lt on a Engine".
First, God Bless Mike.
Folks do not know what Fire and Police go through.

Joe
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What is worst?

Post by 2ndovc »

You're right, most people don't know what you guys go through. I have two good friends, one is a police officer about to retire because he's getting worn out and another that was a paramedic and now an RN at Cleveland Metro Hospital where they get some really nasty stuff. I remember when we were just getting out of college he came by my place one day and was really shaken. He had been a paramedic for several months and had his first call to a suicide. It was a sixteen year old kid that had shot himself with a 12 gage. He'd even made a special stick with a notch in the end so he could reach the trigger with the barrel against his head. He kept asking why someone would do that and my only advise was no one will ever know why the kid did what he did and you just can't dwell on it. Depression is an ugly thing. He's gotten much thicker skin in the last 25+ years but I know when he gets a bad one. He just calls to talk through it and I think it helps.
I have an enormous respect for the people that do those jobs, it's not something I think I could do.

Thanks to all of you!

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

I've been there, Joe, and I sympathize with you and your son. The positive part is that he knows that everything that could possibly be done, was done, and I'll bet done right.

I'm retiring in just a few short years, but my son is carrying the EMS torch onward, just like your son. He and I have had some of these discussions already, rural life dictating that you will serve your friends and neighbors sooner, not later.

God bless you and your son, and all the folks you serve!
Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Probably 40 years ago, in Topeka KS, my cousin's wife shot him as he came in the door at home, called her mother, shot her son through the temple, and killed herself while on the phone with her mother. When the paramedics got there, her son had made it to the front porch and was hanging on to it with blood running out and screaming "Mommy shot me!" over and over. He didn't make it. I cannot imagine how difficult it was to deal with that. My Aunt was never the same.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost