Question for the "Rossi Whisperers"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Question for the "Rossi Whisperers"

Post by OldWin »

Hey guys,
My son has a recent production stainless 20" Rossi 92 in .357. It was bought new, is unmodified, and has a low round count.
*It functions fine with 38's

*When the tube is loaded with multiple 357's, the last one in may come back far enough that the gate is held out hard and can't be depressed to add more cartridges.

*If the action is cycled, the next time this condition may or may not be repeated. It is random.

*Brand or style of ammo doesn't seem to matter, as long as it's 357. 38's don't have this issue.

Has anyone seen this? Sorry, I don't have the rifle in front of me.
Thanks everyone.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Question for the "Rossi Whisperers"

Post by Rusty »

Nate is the '92 Rossi Wizzard. Check with him direct and I'm sure you'll get the straight scoop.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It may just be the mag spring is bound or the mag follower is a little to long. May just need a wee trim.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

A few years ago I picked up a NIB Rossi 44-40.24" barrel. haven't messed with it till this year. got the video , and stainless mag follower from Nate. before changing the mag follower it was harder than Heck to load more than a few rounds in it. there was a plastic plug in the mag tube to limit how many rounds could be loaded 6" long. once that piece of junk was out a world of difference. may be worth a look. don't know if Yours has it or not.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks guys. I thought of the plug also and mentioned it to my son.
Mine is old and has a steel plug. I could try a swap but his rifle is in Alaska with him.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

I have a 20" 357 I bought several years ago that did the same thing. Would lock the action up tight and would have to coax the loading gate to free it up. I changed out the magazine spring and the follower to an aftermarket spring and metal follower and that fixed it. Much easier to load now and no reduction at all in reliability.

Ethan
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you Ethan. That sounds like the problem he is having.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

This is a fairly common thing and is not hard to fix. You polish the inside curve of the loading gate to make It smoother. Give it a file. Some of the internals on Rossi's are not polished enough, couple this with a strong mag spring and you get what your describing.
The mag springs often need to be shortened a bit to make the pressure lighter. Do this judiciously.

I would swap out a follower for a steel one, but I wouldnt take an aluminium one over a plastic one. I actually never have seen a function problem with the plastic ones so you can leave them alone if you want. I will not argue with aethetics though, just to get a steel one.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just got am email from Boyd's- they now have stocks for Rossi's. Including laminates.
I have questioned them about doing some custom inletting , they wont do it. Sorry for the drift!
Laminate stocks might be good for Alaska!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks Gunny. He has a stainless one, so that would be slick.

Thank you too, Carlsen. I will pass that on.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:12 am This is a fairly common thing and is not hard to fix. You polish the inside curve of the loading gate to make It smoother. Give it a file. Some of the internals on Rossi's are not polished enough, couple this with a strong mag spring and you get what your describing.
The mag springs often need to be shortened a bit to make the pressure lighter. Do this judiciously.

I would swap out a follower for a steel one, but I wouldnt take an aluminium one over a plastic one. I actually never have seen a function problem with the plastic ones so you can leave them alone if you want. I will not argue with aethetics though, just to get a steel one.
TA DA! THIS↑↑↑↑
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nath wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:58 am It may just be the mag spring is bound or the mag follower is a little to long. May just need a wee trim.
Ta,da this :roll:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!