scope,vs,peep, vs red dot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

scope,vs,peep, vs red dot

Post by 4t5 »

I am wanting optics for my HENRY SINGLE SHOT, a 1-4 x 20mm scope would be nice, however would making cocking the hammer more difficult. Question is how do the red dot and peep compare in practical accuracy?, they would probably give a sleeker look on such a rifle.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: scope,vs,peep, vs red dot

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Have several Micro-Dot red dot "scopes" on river bottoms rifles. They are as fast as anything. But If I hunted open ground where shots would be over 100 yards most of the time I would be looking at a standard type scope.
Receiver sights (peep type) are very fast also once you realize all you need to do is look through the peep and mark the target with the front sight. But again for a fast long shot over 100 yards you would be better served with a scope.
Then there is the old fact of failing sight issues. Scopes become real issues... but a red dot up close can fill the need. Your hunting area will guide your choice. Just think it through.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Thanks for the reply, the rifle in question is a 357 magnum and if I can shoot 6" groups or less at 100 yds, I'll be happy. Not sure the peep or red dot can get me there.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Put an offset on the hammer and enjoy. On the other hand, I use red dots out to about 100 yards and find them just dandy.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

4t5 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:18 pm Thanks for the reply, the rifle in question is a 357 magnum and if I can shoot 6" groups or less at 100 yds, I'll be happy. Not sure the peep or red dot can get me there.
They can all get you there, if your gun is accurate, which it should be capable of certainly less then 6 inch groups with decent ammo. Personally, I think a low power scope would be best, but the red dot of good quality is a pretty good sight for that range. Even irons can be shot well at that range if you have good eyesight.

I have been shooting several hogs as of lately with a new Marlin 1895 Guide type gun, with a Aim point Micro H1 red dot and accuracy wise, its the most accurate Marlin leveraction I have ever owned, actually it's the most accurate 45/70, I have ever owned, and Not bragging, but I just wanted to indicate that the 'Aim point was very capable. However, under hunting conditions, low light, combined with a little brush, and trying to stretch out the range to 75 or 100yds, I believe a low powered scope is still better, for my aging eyes, when it comes to threading a bullet through the brush at a hog at distance. But on a moving target at close range, the Aim Point is pretty fast and plenty accurate.
NRA Life Member, Patron
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I put together some pictures taken through various aperture sights available for leverguns a while back....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31831#p390174

And some holosight/red dot options I've used....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46640#p583183

Hope they help some.

Don't get me wrong though....I DO like scopes....I just haven't taken many pictures of them.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Red dots are going to be the fastest. But if you shoot with both eyes open a scope doesn't give up much in speed. 10x is the largest scope I have and I'm able to use it both eyes open just fine.
If they are designed for it a peep can be very accurate though not as accurate as a scope. We shot with them easily out to 500 meters in the Marines. Those weren't match or target sights either, just the standard M16 sights.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I put a Sig Romeo 5 on a Marlin 1895 just to see how it would do compared to the Williams Receiver sight I had on it before. Worked great out to 100 yards, which is as far as I tried it until I let a buddy try it out and he just had to have it. Same sight on an ar makes 300 yards shots easy so long as you can identify target without magnification.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Thanks for all the reply's, I'm probably gonna go with a skinner set-up, and add a fiber optic front later.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I put a scope with a larger objective lens on my Handi-Rifle and used a hammer extension. I was able to use "medium height" rings and still be able to cock the hammer. https://grovtec.com/products/hammer-extensions
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC59CH_f9Xo, think this will work, ps love this guy's channel.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great replies, guys. First thing I would do is have that Henry's chambered lengthened to .357 Maximum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you go to Gunblast.com Jeff just did a piece with Alan of Skinner sights on some of his new things he has out. One of them is a rail with a built in peep on it. If something goes wrong with the scope you still have sights.
Either way, Skinners are great sights. With a standard Skinner sight it would be fast, sleek, and most likely give you better accuracy that you get with the factory irons.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.