Sub gauge tubes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Sub gauge tubes

Post by GunnyMack »

Not that I NEED a set but I'm thinking about getting a set of 28 ga. I have sub gauge guns. So if anyone has sub gauge tubes what brand do you have? Pros/ Cons do you see with your experience?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Sub gauge tubes

Post by elmo123 »

I have a Beretta o/u in 12 ga and looked into getting a set of 28 ga tubes and found out they are expensive so I bought a Tristar o/u in 28 ga instead. I already have an 870 in 28 ga and reload for it but I can't bend over to pick up the empties anymore when shooting 5 Stand. The tubes just seemed too expensive for what you got in my opinion.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya! Like I said I dont need them as I have both a SxS and an O/U in 28.
A guy at the ZZ Bird shoot yesterday had a set of Little Skeeters, for the most part they are a chamber liner, he shot well with them and they aren't overly expensive.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I have used the Seminole chanber-mates with good success....used them in antique and modern doubles, and they work well and pattern quite well. these inserts are steel and well built.

the little skeeters are made of something else? aluminum maybe, very light weight and are usable only with mild target loads, otherwise the fired shell sticks in the adapter and is very difficult to remove.
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I had a set of Briley full-length .410 tubes in/for my 28ga Ruger Red Label, which worked great.

IDK about other makers, but know that the Briley sub-gauge tubes are strong enough to withstand firing the designated ammo outside the gun.

Many owners of antique/Damascus use them in those older guns that cannot support being fired with even low-powered loads (provided the gun's frame/hinge & locking lugs are up to snuff).

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

After many years of shooting tube guns in my very biased opinion I think Kolar makes the best full length fitted tubes . Nothing against Briley but I like Kolar more . The Briley shorty non fitted tubes work well also I used to borrow a set from a now deceased friend . Now the cost I think a set of top of the line Kolar is about 2G’s that’s all three gauges 20-28-410 , and top of the line Briley are within $200 I’d say . The little Briley shortys can be had for I think $600 for all three and can be used in most any SxS O/U or single barrel 12 gauge .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The brileys are about 600 for full tubes, the kolars are half way to 28ga barrels for my Perazzi so I'll just keep shooting my Red Label and Rizzini !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:00 am The brileys are about 600 for full tubes, the kolars are half way to 28ga barrels for my Perazzi so I'll just keep shooting my Red Label and Rizzini !
The $600 set is for the little short ones not the full length tubes . Full length Brileys are almost as costly as the Kolar's .

I at the moment have no tubed O/U but I've been procrastinating about picking up a nice old Remington 32 or Krieghoff K-32 or possibly a nice used Krieghoff K-80 . I'd kinmda like to have a set up similar to what I had thirty years ago one of the aforementioned with a set of 30 inch barrels fitted with Kolar tubes an screw in chokes and an unsingle K-80 barrel . Thisrty years ago I got a bvrand new K-32 from John Allem fitted with Kolar AAA tubes later I added a K-32 32" O/U barrel with a Vandalia rib as well as a nice used K-80 unsingle barrel . At that time I had a K-32 stock set Allem had put an adjustable comb . Later I got a very very nice used K-80 Bavarian Grade stock set with a medium monte carlo and NO adjustments . My skeet averages and 16 yard averages jumped up after that as well as my handicap yardage .

If I wanna shoot all four gauges at skeet I now have Browning Belgium made Superposed guns in 12 , 20 , 28 and 410 . One of these days I wanna pick up a nice Belgium Superposed Broadway 32" trap gun .
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ray wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:07 am Something like this ???

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101005351
Sort of but not exactly . Those Browning tubes I think will fit most any Superposed Browning and most likely many others if the extractors are anywhere near the same . The Kolar and Briley tubes have connected extractors that fit over the ejectors of whatever shotgun they’re fit to . These Browning tubes just like the old Purbaugh and Pattermaster fitted tubes have what they call “slave extractors” that are changed each time the tubes are changed . There was a guy on the Parker forum recently with a very nice old Belgium Browning Superposed and a set of these tubes for sale I think he was asking $1900 gun tubes and case .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I was originally thinking about a set for my MX8 but now I think I'd like to find 410 tube set for my Red Label 28 ga. I know Ruger offered them but not sure who produced them.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:09 am I was originally thinking about a set for my MX8 but now I think I'd like to find 410 tube set for my Red Label 28 ga. I know Ruger offered them but not sure who produced them.
If I’m not mistaken they’re not full length more like 12-18” .
Greg S in AK
Levergunner

Post by Greg S in AK »

There are alot of options out there. Do you need chokes or will fixed chokes work, standard or lightweight. If your just doing one gauge, you might be better off with a smaller framed i.e. 28 or 410 shotty. Alot to think about.

Personally, I've only had experiance with Kolar standard tubes with chokes for my 682 skeet gun. I really like 28 gauge and have hunted quail with my 682 but, lugging a 10.5 lb comp shotty around all day can be tiring. If I get into bird hunting again, I would opt for a smaller framed 686 in 20 or 28 and call it good. My prefrence is for standard weight tubes which are harder to stop.

Back in the early 90s, I saw two cracked 20 ga Kolar tubes but this was the time the green dot formula had been changed and pressures for the standard 20 gauge skeet load of a AA primer, 14.5 gr of GDot a waa20 wad and 7/8oz of shot had gone up. It was a great load but the pressure went up 1 to 1.5k and it was already at 13or14 K so... I move to Unique. You have to realize though that these were comp guns seeing 10-12.5k of regitered targets per year plus another 1-200 practice shells per week for 30 weeks per year.