What kind of bug is this

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

What kind of bug is this

Post by J Miller »

Yesterday I went out front to get the mail and was stunned.
Apparently we have some sort of bug infestation and these bugs are killing the tree on the corner of the house. Anybody here know what these are? Pics of the bugs and the tree to show the damage :(
The first time I was able to get a pic of these bugs was on the water bottle that is outside for the community kitties.
IMG_7697.JPG
IMG_7695.JPG
IMG_7694.JPG
IMG_7689.JPG
IMG_7698.JPG
Does anybody know what these are and how to get rid of them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What kind of bug is this

Post by GunnyMack »

Never seen that before- I'd get in touch with your local extension office/ horticulture folks.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Possibly a pine beetle. If so let your Dept of Ag know. I watched a healthy douglas fir die in a very short time. They have killed hundreds of thousands of tress in our local forests.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

We had them in our cedar trees in OK.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/worm-coco ... 71471.html
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That one on the blue water dish is crawling out of it's...cocoon? It's a moth/butterfly of some kind would be my guess. :? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Bagworms. Malathion will take care of them. They will be back every year.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks for the info. We have some Seven spray, would that work? So far only one bush is infested, and this is the first time this has happened in the 4 years we've been here.
Icky bugs.

joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

J Miller wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:43 pm Thanks for the info. We have some Seven spray, would that work? So far only one bush is infested, and this is the first time this has happened in the 4 years we've been here.
Icky bugs.

joe
https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/ ... gworm.html
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Birds will eat them, but not if you spray them. Then the birds get sick and you lose your natural control that keeps them in check. We usually clip the easy to reach ones and toss them to the chickens, but since we quit spraying the birds take care of them so we hardly see any. The other fun thing you can occasionally see is if you have enough daisies and other asters in your garden there will be a type of stingless wasp attracted that lays eggs inside the little pests and the eggs hatch and eat the bagworms.. :twisted: ...but not if you have used insecticide; it would kill the good guys as well as the bad guys.

There is a product called Thuricide that wouldn't harm the predators that eat bagworms. It is a bacterial spore that kills certain insects. We paid about 8 bucks for a bottle several years ago but we're using it on tomatoworms. Worked well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Bagworms are insidious.

Poison the little bastids before they kill everything.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:23 pm Birds will eat them, but not if you spray them. Then the birds get sick and you lose your natural control that keeps them in check. We usually clip the easy to reach ones and toss them to the chickens, but since we quit spraying the birds take care of them so we hardly see any. The other fun thing you can occasionally see is if you have enough daisies and other asters in your garden there will be a type of stingless wasp attracted that lays eggs inside the little pests and the eggs hatch and eat the bagworms.. :twisted: ...but not if you have used insecticide; it would kill the good guys as well as the bad guys.

There is a product called Thuricide that wouldn't harm the predators that eat bagworms. It is a bacterial spore that kills certain insects. We paid about 8 bucks for a bottle several years ago but we're using it on tomatoworms. Worked well.
AJ,

That makes sense, and coincidentally answers a question. The last 4 years we have had birds all over this place, especially in the trees the bag worms are in. This year, no birds and lots of worms. I wonder why no birds?

I'll bet FT Wayne Animal Control banned them. This is the most animal hating city I've ever lived in. Even the coons and possums are missing this year.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

FWiedner wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:00 am Bagworms are insidious.

Poison the little bastids before they kill everything.

:|
Since there seems to be no birds this year looks like we'll have to.

Joe
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

As Doc has pointed out, poisons have secondary consequences. Poisoning insects may kill birds, which allows more insects to proliferate

There are alternative means of "biological control".
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Batman1939 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:16 am As Doc has pointed out, poisons have secondary consequences. Poisoning insects may kill birds, which allows more insects to proliferate

Find an overflowing outside ashtray and round up all the butts you can find...soak them in a pint water over night. Spray. The nicotine water will kill most bugs.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:21 pm
Batman1939 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:16 am As Doc has pointed out, poisons have secondary consequences. Poisoning insects may kill birds, which allows more insects to proliferate

Find an overflowing outside ashtray and round up all the butts you can find...soak them in a pint water over night. Spray. The nicotine water will kill most bugs.
That would be great but we don't know anyone that smokes. If we started collecting butts in this neighborhood, most of them would probably be mary jane.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Go buy a tin of snuff, make up the nicotine concoction and have at it!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:43 pm
BlaineG wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:21 pm

That would be great but we don't know anyone that smokes. If we started collecting butts in this neighborhood, most of them would probably be mary jane.
Come on, Joe :roll: ....Where do people want to smoke when they drink, but can't do it inside? You can pay 8 bucks for a can or pouch of dip if you want.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Blaine,

We don't smoke, we don't frequent places where people do smoke, and I won't throw away money on worm dirt.

I'm not a tree hugger and there have been no birds around eating the worms this year.

We had a jug of Seven spray and they got hosed.

Joe
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I wonder if NEEM oil would work? It's all natural. My yard is fungus gnats galore, just bought some NEEM oil and I'm going to try and wipe these suckers out. Just miserable PITA creatures!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!