Mossberg 464 ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Low Plains Drifter
Levergunner

Mossberg 464 ?

Post by Low Plains Drifter »

Have a chance to buy a Mossberg 464 30-30 for $300
Does anyone have one and what do you think?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Mossberg 464 ?

Post by gamekeeper »

We had a member here, sadly now passed, he had a lot of trouble with one but it was one of the first ones sold. I believe the later ones have improved quite a lot.
I'd like to check one out but have only seen the weird tactical version.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Look for "OJ" in the member list. He was the forum member that had the one gamekeeper mentioned.
I personally have no experience with them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

About two years ago, I bought the short version of Mossberg's 464 featuring a 16 inch barrel, grey laminated stock, and marine-coat finish. No problems with feeding or extraction. This carbine was fitted with a Simmons Pro Hunter scope with 2-7X settings. I can shoot consistent 2 inch groups at 100 yards with 170 grain core-lokt ammo.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It's a shame they don't seem to be catching on. I prefer the looks over a Marlin or Henry but I must admit to not shooting one so.....
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I took a basket case one in trade a year or so ago. Had to find a couple of small parts but it went back together OK and shot small groups with the open sights. My take is they are a good value for the money.

Why do people dis-assemble guns they can't put back together?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

COSteve wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:22 pm I bought my NIB 464 back in Apr 2012 and have over 500 rds through it. It was made after they fixed their extractor or ejector problem (forget which is was) and mine has been a joy. It came with Marbles sights, great wood to metal fit, and great accuracy for a levergun. With my handloads, I shoot bowling pins at 100 - 150yds with it and sometimes I'm on enough to go out to 200yds on them (200yds is where I shoot them with my tweaked Mini M14 and NM M1A).

I handload and have found a cheap plinking load for it; a 150grn X-Treme plated bullet over 34grn's of W760 powder for about 2,000fps of cheap fun. For more serious work, 150 or 170grn Power Point bullets over a load of H335 (I use a lot of this in my 5.56 loads) works well for me as well. 40+ years ago I had a Win 94 and this Mossy 464 will shoot circles around it with a much better trigger and sights. I opted for the Walnut stock with a pistol grip and I really love mine and would recommend it to anyone.

Cool 8)
I remember thinking when they came out that they were the W94 Winchester should of made!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!