Off Topic....Harley Street Glide ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: Off Topic....Harley Street Glide ???

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have had a couple of Harley's for many years. The belt drive is really pretty good as was said but you need to be careful on dirt/gravel roads. I live on a dirt road and I had to replace one belt on my 04 Road King because it got a rock hole in it, but has been ok for several years now. However, my road has changed a little, and I am careful how I ride, to avoid as much loose gravel as possible.

Another thing I suspect but can't really prove is both of my Harley's I bought used and had rock problems on both of them regarding the belts, but I think the tires being used tires when I got the bikes, had been ridden only on pavement and (Dunlops) I think the pavement only leaves an edge on the treads that catches and throws rocks worse then a set of new tires broken in on dirt roads and pavement both.

My other Harley is a 98 Wide Glide and I had to have a belt replaced on it too, from rock holes. So, that made two belts I had to replace, one on each bike. Then about 10 or 12 years ago, I lost a third belt, this time it broke on me, on my 98 Wide Glide. Now, I didn't find rock damage on this one, and it broke one day, when I got on it a little harder then normal. Well, that was the last straw for me on that bike, and I had my local Indy convert it to a chain final drive. AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER. I have not had to even adjust it since then, however, it's been adjusted a few times, of course, when i had to replace a rear tire, but the sprockets and chain are still in good shape.
Now, it's a little messy, but I don't care. I don't clean the chain, all I do is spray the chain with some chain lube about every time I ride it, which causes it to sling a little oil on the back wheel, but hey, I ride and live on a dirt road. I don't worry about my Harley's being shinny squeaky clean. I am old school a little bit and a as one old Harley rider once told me many years ago (he still rode a shovel or flat head) a little oil don't hurt nothing, it just helps keep things from rusting. :D

The old Evo Wide Glide is my favorite bike, and I would sell the Roadking but, as others have noted, Old bikes are not worth that much, anymore, and I might as well keep it, I guess. The only way to get any value out of it to ride it out. When I bought them, they were pretty new, but time flies by. The one good this is, I don't worry about full coverage insurance on them, and just run liability for $15.00 per bike a year. There's no point in spending several hundred dollars a year just to protect a few thousand.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Off Topic....Harley Street Glide ???

Post by Pitchy »

Well said Lastmohecken and my thoughts too, i`ve gone through two belts living on a dirt road one on the Indian that one broke and one on the Road Glide.
IMO new tires pick up a lot of rocks and throw them on the belt, i made a tin guard that goes on the inside of the factory belt guard right beside the front of the tire where they left a opening there that lets rocks in the belt.
Ops eggs are done, later. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.