Off Topic....Harley Street Glide ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Off Topic....Harley Street Glide ???

Post by .45colt »

O.K. you Harley Guys, :D . Momma wants Me to get another bike while We can still ride. I've had five bikes over the years never a Harley. A local Rider has a '08 Street Glide 10,500 mi, quick detach backrest, vance&hines pipes. It looks like new, not a mark or scratch freaking beautiful. asking $11,500 obo. any obvious "need to know" about this model? Thanks.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Off Topic....Harley Street Glide ???

Post by Pete44ru »

The '08 SG had some issues that were resolved in the '09's forward - which had a new/different frame & other parts.

I would suggest you google "2008 harley davidson street glide problems"

A few:

* White plastic fuel bowl cracking, suddenly stops the motor due to fuel starvation (common).

* Compensator sprocket failure - noisy, vibration/dangerous to the motor/drivetrain, & $500+ to replace

* Stock radio is junk

Hopefully, the bike you're considering has already had it's issues resolved with upgraded or aftermarket parts.

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks Pete,thats the kind of info I need. the owner claims He has no time to ride it. :?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd be a bit wary.....I've had two Harleys, and they were lots of fun, and great rides.... when they weren't in the shop.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I bought this as my retirement bike and love it an Indian scout sixty

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I have an 08 Street Glide. I bought it used in 2011 and have put a lot of miles it with no issues. I took a long ride through Ca, Az, and Co where temps hit over 110 and it rode great. All I've done to it is replace the air cleaner, handlebars, tires, battery and speakers. If you get it...have fun and ride safe. And Harleys don't leak.....they just mark their territory!
20140720_093720.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

is it a belt drive? [some are]

I would be super hyper uber wary of a belt drive. they are EXPENSIVE to maintain and replace compared to a regular chain and sprocket, the way Mr Davidson devised them.... just sayin'

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdbeltdrive.htm
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

.45colt wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:25 am Thanks Pete,thats the kind of info I need. the owner claims He has no time to ride it. :?

Another thing to consider is whether or not you can do your own wrenching on it...…………….

In any event, I'd suggest that you ask for a test ride/drive before committing - there may very well be nothing wrong with that particular bike.

If the answer's no, then that'd be my reply to the seller...….

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I did a search about it and there seems to be a big issue with the drive by wire throttle on the '08's. that and I think the Harleys have a dry sump engine with an oil Tank ?? I had one bike set up that way and it was a pain to change engine, transmission, and primary oil all the time.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Couple of cool pix. Good luck with new bike.

However, a plea from one that prefers cars to motorcycles; PLEASE do not remove the mufflers so your bike sounds like an old two - lunger farm tractor plowing uphill!

One of my neighbors had multiple bikers come and go and a couple of them could be heard 1/4 mile away when starting and reving up - of course there seems to be the obligatory aggressive "run up through the gears" which can be heard for 1/2 mile or more in the country.

Fortunately our PD has caught the worst of the loud speeders and they are around no more, but it could all be avoided with a little more mature and legal driving.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i have a 2013 superglide. love it! no problems one of the better made years for the glide. mamba python pipes with stage 1 tall rider seat and forwrd contrls twin cam 96 just enough balzzs to make me happy.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

For some reason or other, I feel compelled to get in on this one.
First I'll tell you I have no personal experience with the 08 models. Fact is, I bought my HD in 1985. 34 years and 295,000 mi. later I haven't found anything I like better, and the belt drive is one of the best things the Motor Company ever put on their bikes. That's EXPERIENCE talking...not internet opinion. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I could write a LOT more about riding...but you asked about buying and I'm not in the market so all I can offer is what I see around me.
I participate in several HD related forums and what I can offer is based upon my observation of the overall market. At the present time,older low-mile bikes such as the one you're considering are something of a glut on the market, IF you can be patient you can pick off some real deals. Since this is a shooting forum, I'll add that in my group of shooting buddies, all "mature" individuals like myself, at least 4 (possibly more) went through their own "Harley experience" for a few years before parking the bike in the garage, leaving it sit for a years then ultimately selling it off to get into a Bass boat, or RV. If you and Momma have decided to get back on the road on 2 wheels...don't grab the first 11 yr old Harley you see. Get out there and look around. There are some real deals to be had as well heeled, mature retired folks (who don't really need the money anyhow) just want to clear the space in their three car garage. At least that's what I'm seeing down here in Florida.
Good Luck, and whatever you end up with...Ride Safe..!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have an 08 Softail. It too has the Twin Cam 96 engine (the balanced version) also. I bought it new and have 22,000 trouble free miles. The biggest known issue with the TC96 is the compensator. However, all you hear is about the problems. Mine has been fine, along with thousands of others. Some of this is how the bike is ridden. Not all, certainly.....but many.
The throttle by wire may be an issue, but my bike is cable and I'm not sure but the touring bikes were also still cable in 08.
All Harley's have been belt drive for many years (along with other makes of bikes). There is a reason for this. It has proven to be a cleaner, quieter, smoother, and longer lasting system than chain. Shaft is great, but there is significant torque effect in the suspension and handling of the bike. I personally know guys that have run the original belt for over 60k miles. The biggest problem with belt is if you ride on dirt roads. If a rock gets between the belt and sprocket, it can damage a belt.
Anyway, best of luck to you. It's a great time to buy a used Harley. They have produced and solt enough bikes in the last ten years to glut the market. Prices are low.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks for taking the time to reply Guys, lots of bikes out there. Jim.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Should be no problem finding the right bike.
I love mine more than when I bought it. Something about the stupid things. :D
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Changing oil !!! just ride a half worn out old shovel and carry a quart or two in the bags, never have to change oil just replace all that leaked out. :lol:
Myself all and all and could have only one bike it would be old and chain drive but then i`m old school and wrench myself.
Get what lights your board and ride the wheels off it, its what you like not anyone else. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Pitchy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:43 am Changing oil !!! just ride a half worn out old shovel and carry a quart or two in the bags, never have to change oil just replace all that leaked out. :lol:
Myself all and all and could have only one bike it would be old and chain drive but then i`m old school and wrench myself.
Get what lights your board and ride the wheels off it, its what you like not anyone else. :)
you said it best Pitchy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

.45colt wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:39 pm I did a search about it and there seems to be a big issue with the drive by wire throttle on the '08's. that and I think the Harleys have a dry sump engine with an oil Tank ?? I had one bike set up that way and it was a pain to change engine, transmission, and primary oil all the time.
I always thought the harley oil system was one of its advantages, they are air and oil cooled. An oil cooler will reduce the temp noticeably. I dont recall the service intervals, but I dont believe the motor and trans oils have to be changed at the same time. Not much of an issue either way to me, none are hard to do. The older ones didnt have the primary oil as non-circulating, the magnetic plug was pulled and cleaned, but no oil needed to be put back in, it got a full time supply from the oil pump.

Not sure if joking, but regardless of if they leak a lot of oil, its still best to change it, there will still be old contaminated oil thats best to get rid of. When riding cross country on my knuckle, I carried oil in a gallon milk jug, it was just simpler than individual cans. Its also not that they leak oil, but the older ones (pre-1965) had a primary chain oiler that just drained out on the ground after oiling the primary chain, even when they went to a truly enclosed primary cover that circulated engine oil and returned to that system, they still had a rear chain oiler on the engine vent line. You could shut the oil off if desired with the adjuster, but it affected chain life. id remove the chain when doing an oil change, wash it in gas or kerosene, drip dry, then dunk it in the warm old engine oil a while then drip dry and wipe down before reinstalling. It helped chain life quite a lot. There was a LOT of gunk in the bottom of the washing bucket that came out of the chain. Today we have good O ring chains that probably dont need that sort of thing.

Rear belt drives can be swapped with chains on the older ones. Im not worried. A friend with a shop said he had a customer that had a hole in a belt from a rock, they guy had 20K miles on it since and its been OK. They made emergency repair belts years ago, but hardly anyone ever needed them apparently, so they stopped. I may get one off ebay when riding in the west just to alleviate the possibility of needing a pickup from many miles away. Id fix it myself in any event VS having a dealer do the work, but being stuck with a sidecar in the middle of nowhere wouldnt be fun.

You can see the milk jug of oil tied to the sissy bar. Many dealers sold it this way from drums.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Not sure if joking, but regardless of if they leak a lot of oil, its still best to change it
Was joking though some older bikes burned enough oil ya had new oil going in all the time, i think 500 miles to a quart was pretty common on a new 70 or earlier bike.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I’m still riding my 1985 fxrs with the original drive belt and the engine has never been broken into. It does not leak oil either and runs excellent. Things that had to be replaced since new are one ignition module, starter relay, battery cable end, along with oil , tires and normal wear items like battery’s and maybe a light bulb.

I’ve owned about ten different Harley Davidson motorcycles from shovelheads to twincams but am a big fan of the EVO engine. Lately though I have been considering one of the new Milwaukee eight street bob or heritage models. I can’t ride very far anymore due to a rotten back so my dresser days are done.

I’d say the biggest concern of the twin cam motor is the cam chain tensioner shoes wearing out. I never had an issue with either of mine but did consider the S&S gear drive.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I’d say the biggest concern of the twin cam motor is the cam chain tensioner shoes wearing out. I never had an issue with either of mine but did consider the S&S gear drive.
I had a 01 Road Glide with 30,000 miles and checked the cam tensioners and they were both wore down too the metal hangers, glad i changed them.
Lots of stories about what was the cause from to much spring tension to bad dies that made the chains that left rough chains.
Bikes after 06 i believe were cured by going to hydraulic tensioners that didn`t put so much pressure on them.

Don`t anyone take me wrong i`m not cutting down Harleys been riding them for a long time and love them, as with everything different years had their issues and there`s always lemons. :)

I also love JD tractors that some people hate, the old ones anyway with the hand clutch.

I have one for sale that`s missing the steering wheel and seat, perfect for the man that`s lost his butt and doesn`t know which way to turn. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Very nice old Pans and generator Shovel Bill. All the generator motors are a bit pricey now compared to alternator shovels. The frame on my 47 was like two of yours, it was a 58-64 period frame.

Its somewhat humbling to think that when I built my 47 knucklehead around 1979 or so, it seemed really old. Today (geologically speaking), when given the opportunity to buy the 84, and realizing the older stuff I liked best was out of my budget, it seems practically brand new to me. I hardly knew anyone that had a bike of 84 vintage when i was riding and they were brand new. I realized that today, the 84 is older than my 47 was when I built it. And it still seems practically brand new to me.

Some advised buying a newer model, but a shovel was as new as I cared to own. I still have tools, have worked on them, understand them, and like them.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The cam chain tensioner issue is on the 88" Twin Cam. The Street Glide in the OP is an 08 and has the 96" TC. The issue was addressed on the later engine.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

One of my trouble heads I built. Kind of wish I still had it.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice bike Marvin, yea i wish i still had this 73 too, rode it for 18 years dern good running bike. :)

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Cool stuff, guys.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Booger Bill wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:33 pm I guess I am a little more dated. Here is a 63, a 65 and a 69 I had.
https://i.postimg.cc/d0w18q9Q/5-1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/VLX0MHcR/7.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/02S2F6W2/6-1.jpg
:oops: I hate rudeness in a person, sorry those are nice looking old scooters. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Booger Bill wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:33 pm I guess I am a little more dated. Here is a 63, a 65 and a 69 I had.
https://i.postimg.cc/d0w18q9Q/5-1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/VLX0MHcR/7.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/02S2F6W2/6-1.jpg
Thanks Bill, nice bikes, here's my old 66 gear-side shovel. Only 9,000 miles on this build but I've had it for 10 years or so. Just got so old I don't ride much anymore.
Last edited by M. M. Wright on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! Only 9k. Nice. :D
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Here's The Moonraker...loaded up and getting back on the road on a recent road trip. Just rolled her out of the motel room (she sleeps in the room with me and we're BOTH much happier for it in the morning..!!
1985 FXRS w/1999 motor. I've ridden her 295,000 mi. and counting. Canada to Key West, Atlantic to the Pacific.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's a LOT of miles! How many did you get on each engine before opening them up?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

barbarossa wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:27 am I bought this as my retirement bike and love it an Indian scout sixty

Nothing against Harley as a past GF and now great friend was a Harley dealer in our town ; but I just plain like Indians more if for nothing other then they’re not as common .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pitchy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:55 pm
I also love JD tractors that some people hate, the old ones anyway with the hand clutch.

I liked the old Green and Yellar steel wheel ones plenty ! But I liked those old Green and Red Hart Parr’s also with horizontal cylinders even more . A now deceased friend had Hart Parr 12-24 , 18-36 and 28-50 tractors . His 18-36 was the first steel wheel tractor I ever drove that was back about 1980ish I think . This isn’t the one he had but pretty much identical !
29A679AF-D1F4-4DA5-BCCB-7254E63C98BE.jpeg
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Heck yea, i love those Hart Parrs too. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

OldWin wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:50 am That's a LOT of miles! How many did you get on each engine before opening them up?
Great question. Here ya go.
I bought her brand new in 1985.
Original motor:
Top end rebuild @ 125,000.
At 185,000 we found case damage happening.
At that time, I could buy a new ‘99 crate motor and just swap out the whole thing. That made the most sense , so she got a new motor.
1999 motor:
Top end rebuild just completed @ 110,000 mi.
Went through the tranny in 2006. Replaced bushings, seals and bearings . Still running the original 5-speed gear set.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

What fun to read!! The best post I started but nothing to contribute to. there is a jungle of used bikes of all makes to choose from. Still lookin. Thanks to All for posting. Jim.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

guido4198 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:31 am
OldWin wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:50 am That's a LOT of miles! How many did you get on each engine before opening them up?
Great question. Here ya go.
I bought her brand new in 1985.
Original motor:
Top end rebuild @ 125,000.
At 185,000 we found case damage happening.
At that time, I could buy a new ‘99 crate motor and just swap out the whole thing. That made the most sense , so she got a new motor.
1999 motor:
Top end rebuild just completed @ 110,000 mi.
Went through the tranny in 2006. Replaced bushings, seals and bearings . Still running the original 5-speed gear set.
Thanks for the response. I have an 08 FXSTC with the TC96B. It's going great so far, but the Evo is my favorite Harley engine.
If I ever got another bike, I think I'd go back to the Evo.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hard to beat the sound of a Evo, my 94 FatBoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99l9EGIO1nM
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

My 85 FXRS, yep still going strong.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice Marvin.

A hack i had on the 73 for a while.

The home made board track racer.

Bought a new 03 Indian Chief glad i bought a extended warranty for, no pic PB stole it.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Pitchy, you always have some interesting machinery.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Marvin S wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:22 pm Pitchy, you always have some interesting machinery.
I`m my own one man entertainment center. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pitchy,......show us the video you made for me...the donuts in the snow!-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yep...dats the one! Thanks bud!

I don't know nuttin about motorcycles. My boy is here visiting from Colorado and he loves em. When he was little ...about 9 or 10, we bought him a little Z-50. He ain't stopped since then.....trades em in every two years...here's his latest...some kind of a Road Glide Special.

This is a couple of years ago.

He thinks this one was about 4 years ago.

This is a buddy of mine. He was riding his Harley all night and is taking a break.

Model A Uzi’s
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It's Pitchy Stiltskin, Rumples Great, Great Grandson. looks like He slept All winter. Shhhhhhhh. 8) .
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

:lol: Dat be me.

Nice bikes your son has,had. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pitchy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:56 am :lol: Dat be me.

Nice bikes your son has,had. 8)
I knew you'd like that bro! My boy is always trying to get me into that motorcycle thing. The cost is one thing, then there's the added insurance and constant "accessorizing".....but the biggest problem comes in my 65 year old immaturity. I'm always doing stupid pelosi and taking chances and with the east coast as it is, I'd be off the road within a week.---6
Model A Uzi’s