71 Marlin 336 Barrel Band Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BrownCoat94
Levergunner

71 Marlin 336 Barrel Band Question

Post by BrownCoat94 »

I just picked up a 71 JM Marlin 336 in 30 30. While taking apart for cleaning I realized the front barrel band is super tight. So tight that I had to drive it off with a punch. So much so that it actually pulls the mag tube up to the barrel in the front. I would have to think that this amount of stress would start to affect accuracy as things heat up.
Here is a picture of what I am talking about. The mag tube is partway out in the photo.

https://i.imgur.com/Zj7VAR9.jpg

Is this normal?
Am I further ahead to remove some material in the band and reduce the stress?
Thanks!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 71 Marlin 336 Barrel Band Question

Post by Pete44ru »

1) Welcome to the board !

2) I would suggest you remove that magazine tube sling swivel base and find out if the tube straightens out, since it appears to be forcing that portion of the magazine tube away from the barrel, causing the front end of the magazine tube to be pressed upward to install the forward band.

If the tube cannot be straightened, it may need replacement.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:20 pm 1) Welcome to the board !
2) I would suggest you remove that magazine tube sling swivel base and find out if the tube straightens out, since it appears to be forcing that portion of the magazine tube away from the barrel, causing the front end of the magazine tube to be pressed upward to install the forward band.
If the tube cannot be straightened, it may need replacement.
↑↑↑ THIS!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BrownCoat94
Levergunner

Post by BrownCoat94 »

So the mag tube should be flush to the barrel. Good to know. I'll take a look. Thanks for the feedback.
BrownCoat94
Levergunner

Post by BrownCoat94 »

I hate to double post but I spent some time working with it this morning. I think the lack of a gap was caused by a few things. The front of the receiver was quite dirty and the mag tube wasn't fully seated into it. I also found that the forend had shrunk in the back a bit and tilted down, forcing the front of the forend up and changing the angle of the mag tube. Couple this with a ton of hardened oil and crud and it really bound things up. The front barrel band has good clearance around the mag tube and slides easily on. It also seems to have good clearance around the front sling mount. The front barrel band binds up quite badly on the barrel profile though about 1/2 in before the cross notch. I would need to hammer it into place. I doubt this is normal? Would I be wise to give it some light sanding to open it up a bit so it's tight but can be worked on and off by hand. I can't fully test things right now as I am waiting for some other repairs to dry to the forend but I can work more on it this evening.
Thank you very much for your help.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Take it to the range and see how it groups. That will tell you what you need to know.
For a hunting rifle, one shot at a time from a cold clean barrel is the only kind of group that matters.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cold fouled barrel my own preference.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Remove that sling swivel from the tube, and then see how everything fits. I suspect it will all fit fine without the sling swivel binding things up. If so, then remove metal from the sling swivel until it doesn't bind, or get a sling swivel that clamps the tube and doesn't go around the tube. That style of swivel can create a bind that could affect accuracy.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/