Individually packaged gun oil wipes. Reviews or Suggestions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Individually packaged gun oil wipes. Reviews or Suggestions?

Post by vancelw »

I'm headed back to Africa this fall.
It will probably be warmer than it has been any of the other times I have been.
Packing weight is crucial, so I won't be taking a full gun cleaning kit. Volatile chemicals and all that on an airplane, anyway....

I'm planning on taking some individually wrapped gun oil, like Rem Oil or some such. That way I can at least wipe down the outside metal on my rifles after handling them all day with sweaty hands in the arid grasslands.

Has anyone here used such a thing?
I'm looking for brand suggestions and why. Do certain ones stay usable longer. I know some might be prone to dry out faster than others, even though they haven't been opened. I won't be taking a wet-wipe style canister for that reason. I want individual packages.
I started searching for Rem Oil brand and found there were many options.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Individually packaged gun oil wipes. Reviews or Suggestions?

Post by Sixgun »

Vance.....we all know Doug Turnbull knows what he is talking about and his company says Remington-Oil is about the best there is for cleaning and preserving. You could always take a few small washrags, like 6"x 6", spray the heck out of them, then put em in zip-lock bags. That's what I do when traveling with guns.---6
Model A Uzi’s
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I take RemOil packets, use as needed, and then discard the foil when used.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ballistol wipes are good. I would also take a Bore Snake. Takes up only a small amount of room. A tiny bottle of Break Free CLP would help. 1 ounce should be enough. You probably know what else you want to take. Hope you have fun.

By the way, there is a Speed Six that my wife may steal from me. She likes it with 38 special plus p loads.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya beat me to it Piller! Yes Ballistol is good stuff but does have a bit more odor if that really matters.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have used Rem Oil wipes before and they worked well. I just didn't realize there were so many choices out there nowadays.
The Rem Oil wipes I have came in a canister, so they did dry out a bit. I guess I could have borrowed off of Sixgun's idea and put some of those in a heavy ziplock bag, along with a clean rifle rag.

I do have one of those small Otis cleaning kits that fits in a little round pancake case.
I'm mostly worried about my nasty handprints on my guns for 2 weeks straight. But I can see where I might get a good dose of sand in the actions...

Since I will be using my own rifles, a small piece of electrical tape over the muzzle is the best insurance.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Get yourself a good paste car wax or flooring wax and put a couple good coats on, itll help keep the dust & dirt from sticking and protect the blueing at the same time.
I suppose you could even put some wax in a small container and take it with you for recoating in camp.
Good luck and safe travels and ya better post pics upon your return!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

For a DIY bore snake you can use a piece of weed wacker line with a lump of epoxy glued to the end. Punch a tiny hole in a patch with just enough room for the line to pass thru. I've cleaned .177 air rifles like that for years before there were any .17 cal cleaning rods on the market.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Just cut up an old t-shirt, or make some flannel squares, into handy sizes. Fold them up and slip them into a small ziplock. Add a few drops of ATF. Close the bag and you're good to go. If you want more effectiveness, mix the ATF with lanolin first. This is what I use here just north of the Equator. ATF/Lanolin is THE best preservative I've found here. Making up the flannel square wipe is quick, simple, inexpensive and effective. I keep one in my gun case for trips to the range. Wipe the gun down prior to inserting back into the case and voilá, no fingerprints, no rust, keeps the bluing nice and shiny and removes surface powder fouling.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ed's Red minus the acetone and kerosene?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

piller wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:30 pm Ed's Red minus the acetone and kerosene?
Pretty much. It's "Ed's Red Compatible Gun Oil". :D Everything I tried on the Llama Cassidy didn't work - until I started using the ATF/Lanolin mix. Haven't had an issue with rust since then. Just wipe it down occasionally. The ziplock baggies work great for keeping a wipe handy in my gun cases when going to the range.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I do the zip lock bag thing also, and save my money for better things. I also carry a bore snake to pull through the barrel in the same bag, just in case it gets wet or dirty. Both in the same zip lock bag to reduce size and weight.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Several years ago Jr bought a Remington with that Express finish on it. I can't remember if it was a 700 or an 870, he bought both about the same time. He had a continuous problem with rust bleeding thru the finish on the barrel. We tried everything on it. CLP, Rem oil, ATF, WD-40, and couldn't find anything to kill that rust till we tried Balistol. Even though it has a strange smell it saved the day.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I already had some Rem Oil wipes in a canister, so I ordered some Ballistol individual wipes.
I sighted in a couple of rifles yesterday and used one of the wipes on both guns. Did a good job. I did this in the kitchen. And I'm still alive. :D
The wife didn't notice the smell, so they passed a very important test!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

vancelw wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:28 am I already had some Rem Oil wipes in a canister, so I ordered some Ballistol individual wipes.
I sighted in a couple of rifles yesterday and used one of the wipes on both guns. Did a good job. I did this in the kitchen. And I'm still alive. :D
The wife didn't notice the smell, so they passed a very important test!
If it passes the "wife smell test", you're good to go!
Paul - in Pereira