.30 cal bullets for 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

.30 cal bullets for 30-30

Post by JNG »

I have some 115 gr fp gc that I am going to load and try out. But the main question is, loading Sierra .30 cal 110 round nose carbine bullets
for the 30-30 possible. They work great with my M-1 Carbine. I would like to use 2400 powder.
Load will be for my grandson.

Thanks,
Joe
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .30 cal bullets for 30-30

Post by earlmck »

I shoot nothing but casties in my 30/30's but for friends who aren't into cast bullets I load a 110 grain 30 carbine bullet that makes a great plinker load with very little recoil. I use Blue Dot in my loads but I'm sure 2400 would work just fine. You want a good tight neck to make sure this bullet with no crimp groove doesn't move back on you when loaded in the tubular magazine.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, is that one of the "soup can" molds you use?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill, I do load the 120 grain Lee "soup can" bullet, using 10 grains of Green Dot for around 1700 fps. It is a "kid favorite" tin can shootin' load. The load with the jacketed 30 carbine bullet I was referring to in my answer to JNG would be going more on the order of 2300 fps and I don't try for that velocity level in my 30 cal. cast loads.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Ah ! memories of the old midway monthly truckload sale.....remington and winchester 110 gr. .308 fmj and rn were always discounted and free shipping for any total over $25.

I loaded and shot many thousands of them out of a 10" and 14" contender over a 1.6 cc lee dipper of 2400 or a 2.2 cc of 4198.

I never could seem to get the flat bases to start plumb without bullet base run-out bulge loading in the conventional manner but using cases unsized after firing I would temporarily superglue the bullet in place and then run up into lee factory crimp die. These would hold sometimes against the magazine spring of a win. or marlin up to two cartridges but never more but I used them mostly single shot.
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, that Lee soup can seems to enjoy a good reputation for a plinking bullet.
Ray, I shot the Speer 110--grain Varminters out of a .30 Herrett Contender with good results. The late Bob Milek liked them for rock chucks.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:40 am Earl, that Lee soup can seems to enjoy a good reputation for a plinking bullet.
Ray, I shot the Speer 110--grain Varminters out of a .30 Herrett Contender with good results. The late Bob Milek liked them for rock chucks.

yeah, the one that resembles a traditional .357 hollow point and has two cannelures......out of a 10" contender and 2.2 cc of 4198 they make an almost perfect mushroom in 80 pound does while bowhunting :twisted:
-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !