Model 39 Skunk Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Model 39 Skunk Gun

Post by crs »

Looked out Master BR window and there was a skunk digging in my beautiful St Augustine front yard!
Went to safe for M19 with snake loads and it was closed and locked! So, grabbed my M39 loaded with JHP and slipped around to the front yard - skunk had moved to about 20 yards away and was digging again- first shot missed, but made it run for the burn pile. second shot did not miss. Skunk now in burn pile.

We had put out fox urine to try to keep it away and that did not work.

I may dig out the old .410 and lay aside some bird shot for such pests. My neighbor on 60 acres has shot many skunks as they like to burrow under the foundation of his house. He also takes his shotgun to the coyotes that like to feed on his garden.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 39 Skunk Gun

Post by jeepnik »

I actually like our little neighborhood skunk. It keeps the snails, slugs and black widows in check. Rarely sprays and gets along with people very well. I’ve walked by just a few feet away many times. It’s not threatened and neither am I.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:02 pm I actually like our little neighborhood skunk. It keeps the snails, slugs and black widows in check. Rarely sprays and gets along with people very well. I’ve walked by just a few feet away many times. It’s not threatened and neither am I.

Dangerous experiment.....only takes once !
m.A.g.a. !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Mini marshmallows are a favorite bait for skunks or so a professional trapper told me. Seems skunks have a real sweet tooth. All ya need is a box trap and a handful of them, leave a trail into the trap.
Then they can be relocated or disposed of accordingly.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Once when returning from a squirrel hunt at dusk with my youngest son we heard the chicken's putting up a fuss. I walked over to see what was going on and there was a bunch of half grown skunks chasing them in the run I really laid the lead down and killed about 4 of them with the 39a Marlin.
The next day at dusk my wife called to me and said there's another one out there so I grabbed a 20ga 870 some #2's from a box and hot footed it out there. That was the mama and when I shot she rolled over and let it loose. It smelled pretty bad for a week or so but no chickens were harmed :wink:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

For skunks I use a shotgun. Shoot them in the head and then shoot'em again. Then you got about 10 minutes to dig a hole before they start releasing their perfume. The key is to kill them right away so they don't flop around and spray.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Dern skunks, yep i use 4 buck. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

As a teenage trapper, I caught more skunks than anything else; with jump traps and Havahearts. Nasty little beasties, but easy to do away with.
They have their place , but that place is not in our chicken pen, barn, yard, courtyard, under house foundation, etc.

If I cannot run them off with fox urine, shoot them(most fun, but not least effort considering disposal)), or otherwise keep them away from the house and yard, there is always my Havaheart trap(also traps bobcats) or DCON. The latter is the least trouble to manage as it makes them thirsty and they head for water at the creek or farm pond where they should have stayed in the first place. It also kills any rats, mice, coyotes, stray dogs or other such pests quietly and effectively.
Stray cats do not seem to be attracted to Dcon, but the coyotes and red tailed hawks keep the cats in control. 8)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

How well do 17HMR rounds do on skunks?

My dad had a pet skunk as a kid. It never sprayed any of the farm dogs or cats, but they left it alone. It sprayed the little dog of a woman from town who was Grandma,s friend. Nancy Murphy would have whipped my dad if she could have found him.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've always shot skunks in the lungs, never the head. With lung shots they bleed out slowly and dont spray like when the control room is disconnected. Usually a 22 is all that's needed. 17 HMR would do nicely.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!