CutCordsNow™ Antenna

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

CutCordsNow™ Antenna

Post by rossim92 »

seen advertisement for "free" tv using this gadget. anybody use this? any opinions on it? CutCordsNow™ Antenna
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: CutCordsNow™ Antenna

Post by jeepnik »

Gasp! Broadcast TV.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

yes they work if you are in range of the broadcast source.

If you are a few blocks from the network studio it might work.

we installed one like that at my work to watch local news to monitor heavy weather and got nothing.

we bought an $200 + outdoor receiver the size of a washtub and had to put it 45' up a pole to get a local network transmitting from 40 miles away.

everything was fine. we got a half dozen stations and each one had multiple channels then they all mobbed together, quite against fcc rules, and decided to cut the power output in half at 2000hrs. may thru september and at 1800 hrs. october thru april just like the am radio stations do or used to do.

screen goes blue and caption bouncing around reads "no signal" at exactly four minutes after either 1800 or 2000.
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I bought one of those stick-on-the-window antennas at Wallace's World. It picked up a CBS affiliate in El Paso, but just barely. Of course, three religious stations came in crisp and bright, but I have absolutely no use for the Creflo Dollars of this world.
Sevastopol
Levergunner

Post by Sevastopol »

I've been getting 'over-the-air' TV exclusively for over 5 years now. It's getting worse as time goes by. It may be that my neighbor's trees are getting bigger, but I don't know. The image is crisp as can be, but when it goes, it goes, freezing, cutting, no gradual fuzzing up of the image like in the old days...and that sucks. Who decided to take away the analog option?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I get over the air tv.... it's HD... it's affected by sun interference... I have a small Yagi leaning against the E wall outside propped up on a stick. I sometimes get 40 channels, out of that there are several that I watch, the rest is junk. just like cable but about 80$/Mo cheaper. 80$ saved is 80$ made...

I watch the local news for wx, wildfire, and gang-banger shooting info... I watch NHK for excellent come-on-over programming. and cowboy-v-indian episodes.

maybe someone good at writing letters could write the Mr. President Trump and snitch off the local carriers. I bet he could get a hammer in the right spot with the stroke of a pen...

to the OP's question, the gadgets that plug into the back of the tv or sit in a window will work fine when you are inside the zone of oversaturated signals... but as mentioned if you live outside the main signal strength area you need a proper antenna, at the appropriate frequency.

More Coffee Please,
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When the signal first went digital years ago I got all the channels (40+) crisp and clear. Now? Nothing :evil:
I'm guessing that pressure/bribes from the cable companies got them to cut their power so low that you have to be next door to the freaking transmitter to get the signal. :evil:
(FWIW, my Sister lives about 10 miles north of Col Oh in Delaware and uses a digital ant. in her second story and is pretty happy with it.)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

what kind of antenna do you use? the signals I get here are pretty twitchy, about like lining up a satellite dish for sat tv. a small fraction of a degree in any direction is the difference between a reliable signal and no signal...
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Over the air broadcast is pretty much going the way of the dinosaur. A lot of content that used to be carried over the air has moved to cable only. Or ... you can stream if off of the internet. I'm surprised the local stations can even still exist. Even cable is getting slaughtered. Most things carried on cable channels can now be streamed in one form or another. The cable connection has simply turned into an internet connection ... nothing else about it is useful.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

We get 2,000 channels for $200 a month (FIOS--bundle) and there still ain't nothing to watch that's interesting except Fox News and the Military History Channel. If it was up to me, I'd get rid of the TV all together but if you get it with "bundling" you might as well have it. Besides, it's a great babysitter for the wife.....she pays less attention to me.------6
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

To quote a line from a movie “every station is making like the 1950’s”. I have cable because the wife likes cable stations for her chick stuff. Elsewise I wouldn’t bother.

We “survived” just fine with broadcast TV before cable. In fact I recall when the idea of commercial free payTV. Was put to a vote and lost. Now many have pay TV with commercials.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

We are 1 year in on a 2 year contract with AT&T for $205 a month, not my choice.
Wife won't let me cut it, so I bought an outside antenna for less than $40 and two 10 foot 1 inch conduit sections to mount it on for less than $25 and now we get great local staions over the air on our "SMART" TV along with cable, at least for another year.
I would like to go Internet only but need to do more research first.
Anyway, the antenna is powered rotation and signal boosted and so far does great but like others I only watch Fox tv (national) and the science channel and those are not available without cable.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

We had ATT DSL and land line phone service on the same line for years and all was well.
This spring all went South with both services. Phone has been dead for two months and Internet access was reliable only at night.

We live at the edge of the country, so the only replacement was satellite based so we are now on HughesNet and have had 100% uptime. Availability is most important and the speed is adequate for emails and browsing the Internet.
We dropped the landline and are using mobile phone service only - it worked out OK! And is MUCH less $$.

Bad luck service resulted in better service for less money. 8)

PS We never were told what degraded the service, but ATT testing did prove that the problem was not to on our property!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I live in medium sized city (300,000 metro) and we get over a dozen channels on the antenna. Due to interference from the house, I did have to add a double bow tie antenna in the room. Fortunately, all the transmitters are in about the same spot, so I don't have to turn the antenna. Precipitation will sometimes affect the signal, but that's rare.

TV is boring, so this is adequate service for us.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We've had over the air service for 14 years. When we moved into our new house 15 years ago we had Dish for one year. IIRC back then it was $99 a month. If you want to see what kind of service you might get try just sticking a small piece of wire in the antenna hook up that's about 20" long and see if you get any signal at all. The flat antenna I use is amplified to help signal strength. I get 31 or 35 signals I forget which. I get stations over the air that my son can't get with his cable. For example our local PBS station is WEDU channel 3, but over the air I get 3.1,3.2,3.3,3.4,3.5,&3.6.
Also be aware that not all TVs have tuners in them. Some TVs are only able to get signals via cable. You can also get different kinds of boxes to get things like Netflix for a price, or a Roku box, or an Amazon Fire. I also watch some movies on Amazon Prime by joining my laptop to the TV via HDMI.
Good luck
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We haven't had broadcast TV - OR cable - for 30 years.

Best way to raise kids (they read BOOKS instead of staring at television)... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "