Question for the AR guys here.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Question for the AR guys here.

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought a Aero M5 .308 stripped lower for a project gun. I have built a couple AR15’s , simple.
In looking for parts I see different length gas systems and carbine and rifle length buffer/recoil springs systems.
Can a mid or rifle length barrel be used on a lower with a carbine buffer/recoil spring setup ?

I just watched a YouTube video of a guy building a rifle on the same lower, he has an adjustable but stock and a 12” barrel. That can’t be legal with a 16” minimum barrel length.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Question for the AR guys here.

Post by GunnyMack »

If he is doing a pistol it's legal or an SBR .

You can run a carbine buffer but it's going to be hard on brass. The gun will run a bit fast as well.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thanks ,
The guy in the YouTube video having the 12” barrel with an adjustable butt stock. How can that be legal as in
Short barreled rifle ?
What if one made a longer flash suppressor to bring the barrel to say 16 1/4” and welded it to the barrel ?
Would he then be legal ?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sbr is considered an NFA 'weapon' and if your state allows such all ya gotta do is pay the tax stamp fee.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Chuck, watcha gonna build on that nice Aero lower?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Just looking to see what is available as far as parts go. I’d kinda like a rifle in about 20” barrel with a scope.
Building an AR15 seems simpler about choices of parts. It’s just going to be a range toy. I don’t hunt any more.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

AR15’s are supposed to be milspec and like LEGO’s all the parts fit together. Well that’s the theory anyway. With the AR 10 no such “standards” so companies “kinda do their own thing.” There are several different patterns out there but things like gas tubes, free float hand guards all need to be from the same pattern for it to actually work”correctly.”
I am by no means an expert but if I can help let me know. Good luck. I already had an M1a so I went with a 308 for my AR10. Have a 223/556 and a 458 Socom also.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thanks guys. I am trying to not buy any parts that won’t work together. Aero precision is not that far away wo I will probably get everything from them.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Chuck, Aero is a good outfit. You aren't far from Columbia River Arms for a barrel either. I think If I were putting together an AR-10, I'd consider the 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington or even the 6.5 Swede for poking bulls in the eye at 1,000 yards .... 8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My AR10 is an Armalite, I can only use their parts. I have tried other manufacturers bolt heads but they are just enough wrong to not fit. If I was to do an upper I'd make it creedmore and not look back.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gunny you are not helping me! I am trying to talk myself out of a Creedmoor upper because I don’t need another cartridge to reload. 28 is enough, and here you go singing about a Creedmoor upper that will just fall into place on my existing lower. Gee thanks... BUDDY. Enablers r us.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

fordwannabe wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:45 pm Gunny you are not helping me! I am trying to talk myself out of a Creedmoor upper because I don’t need another cartridge to reload. 28 is enough, and here you go singing about a Creedmoor upper that will just fall into place on my existing lower. Gee thanks... BUDDY. Enablers r us.
:lol: :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Why not get a 6.5? Accurate and capable of taking deer or more. Remember, need is not the driving factor.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Huh I didn't realize I was twisting your arm! 6.5 is a great diameter, as Doc says they punch beyond their means.
Actually I'd like to sell my AR10 , heck I'd sell a couple of my AR15s as well- I don't shoot them. But I know that I might still need them when in the future to beat back the Stalin worshippers!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

First here in the Commonwealth of Pennsyltuckey we ain’t allowed to use semi automatic weapons for big game. This was the first year you could use one for small game. I know set in our ways, traditions blah blah blah can’t change blah blah. But we are the first to appoint a transgender to A prominent position they are marginally qualified for AND we give out literally truck loads and millions of dollars of Narcan. But change a gun law, NOW THAT IS CRAZY TALK. Kinda sorry for the thread drift.
If we could use semi’s I would have already shot a doe in the medulla with my 458.
Ok still trying to talk myself out of a 6.5 upper.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tom, won't work. You know you need a 6.5 ... deep down, you know it.

:lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Take your 458, remove the gas tube and you have a straight pull!
Yeah at least you can use rifles! We are stuck with slug guns & buckshot- yes I have a Savage 220 slug gun and 3 differt buck shot guns and have no problem making venison but my rifles just collect dust. Not even anywhere to shoot groundhogs!
Yes everyone needs a 6.5, I dont have one- YET !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Oh you guys make me laugh.
Bill you are going on the same list as THAT guy from New Jersey.
The list in this case is people I would like to meet in person. Thanks guys. I needed a laugh. No support mind you but a laugh.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Problem I have is is which 6.5 do I get?
The Swede is a well proven moose killer.
The Grendel is great in an AR.
Both the Creedmore and the new PRC are both great for accuracy at long distance.
But I'm kinda partial to the 6.5x 284. Why you ask? Because it's different.
Buddy of mine does have an orignal Remington 600 in 6.5 rem mag that I could might just talk him out of!
Sure there are others but so hard to choose!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!