Parker VH 12 gauge 2 barrel set

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Parker VH 12 gauge 2 barrel set

Post by 6pt-sika »

Someone brought a Parker VH 12 gauge 2 frame two barrel set in the shop Tuesday . Guns a bit ruffish but it locks up tight and the barrels ring true . So as you might expect it's found it's way into my accumulation . Has a 32" set which is what it's listed as in the Parker Serialization book and a second set of 28" barrels with their own correctly numberd forend . The gun old enough and neglected enough that I kinda doubt it's a put together fake the numbers set and I have a letter on the way frpm the PGCA .

The head of the butt stock has a rivet thru it which I'll eventually address and the gun needs a good overall cleaning and of course like many old somewhat abused and negelected doubles the toe of the stock is missing a bit , that'll be addressed as well and a pad added . After I get home in August I may have both sets of barrels rust blued .

I'm really curious to see if the PGCA letter says this was originally sold as a two barrel set or if the gun went back and had the second set added or if there's no mention at all .

I've not measured the points of restriction yet and to be honest the guns not been in my hands yet . Anyway my gunsmith buddy says the 32" barrels are M&M and the shorter ones skeet and skeet . I'm a bit skeptical but I'll see better tomorrow or Friday .
pix106632037.jpg
pix447687845.jpg
pix429524934.jpg
pix695569103.jpg
pix758966950.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Parker VH 12 gauge 2 barrel set

Post by GunnyMack »

Sure looks like it was used a bit more than most.
I cant see 32" being M/M, unless they were F/F and the owner had them bored out. 28" S/S seems a bit open to me but maybe he ordered them that way? Guess you'll know when the letter shows up. Let us know!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a couple other 32 inch 12's ones a GH Damascus that's M&M and a set of twist barrels that fit a 3 frame that are also not super tight . I think my buddy used a flat gauge on the chokes and didn't measure . A LOT of Parkers are over bore so then the chokes don't seem tight . But on the other hand the skeet and skeet makes me think those barrels might have been cut , but then why would you order a gun with 32 inch and 30 inch barrels then cut the 30's to 28 . Oh well what I've got in it so far is a little of nothing for a usable 32" gun with good solid barrels . 32's and 34's in 12 gauge bring a slightly higher premium with the vintage type guys they think the longer barrels are the ticket for clays and 5 stand . I kinda likes shooting whatever strikes my fancy be it 24 or 34 or all in between .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Didnt you say you were heading to the Philippines? I sure hope you get your shots!
Philippines declares national emergency after more than 100,000 people contract Dengue fever

https://www.foxnews.com/world/philippin ... ngue-fever
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:57 pm Didnt you say you were heading to the Philippines? I sure hope you get your shots!
Philippines declares national emergency after more than 100,000 people contract Dengue fever

https://www.foxnews.com/world/philippin ... ngue-fever
Yes I’m leaving Monday at 13:20 from Dullus .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Enjoy your trip!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:47 pm Enjoy your trip!
Thanks ! I cannot wait to see the wife and our little man !!!
3CD0F1CB-1A1D-4C0F-A8F2-5B2AB2C0530A.jpeg
A5CF1FF4-59C0-41AC-BB28-7BB5C5A903CE.jpeg
55930C6A-96BF-405D-B40E-8D722C6C4B76.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Wow I just opened the PGCA forum and the gentleman that does the letters PM’d me and told me he’d most likely have the paper letter in the USPS tommorrow ! Coming from Harrisburg PA to central VA I just made got have it Saturday ! I had asked him to scan it and email it also if he didn’t mind and I’m sure I’ll have that tommorrow or Friday for sure !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I received an mail from the Parker Collectors Association with a digital copy of the letter no 28" barrels mentioned so I took the forend apart and not only were the barrels and forend iron stamped with the correct serial number but so was the forend wood . So I feel pretty safe that the 28 inch barrels were ordered at a later date for this gun . Chokes for the 32" are IM/IM with a flat choke gauge and the 28 inch are cylinder and very light modified .

Parker barrels under the chambers are stamped with whats referred to as the unfinishd weight and it's been my experience that with forend attached they usually weigh within an ounce or two of the unstruck weight . These barrels are struck at 4 pounds and they weigh 3 pounds 15 1/2 ounces so I'm pretty sur they've not been cut . Thy also have the little box at the muzzle end in front the bead .

So I'm pretty satisfied with this acquisition :wink:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You should be, the facts don't lie, you have matching numbers, chokes are acceptable. The only bad part is the rivet through the stock. Now have you shot it yet? Should be a good trap,sporting/skeet gun.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:05 am You should be, the facts don't lie, you have matching numbers, chokes are acceptable. The only bad part is the rivet through the stock. Now have you shot it yet? Should be a good trap,sporting/skeet gun.
Not shot yet ! I had it in the vise at the shop yesterday and this vise has some different jaw protectors that were plastic anyway I looked away and the stock and action slipped out fell hit the concrete floor and broke the wrist . I’m sending it to my friend that’s a stock guy while I’m gone to fix the wrist and the rivet thru the head . The barrels cleaned up pretty well with Hoppes and 0000 steel wool . I’m not gonna bother having them reblued don’t think I’m gonna bother with a pad either . Once it’s sound again shoot it as is :wink:
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

28" cyl barrels would be just right for doves, I'm counting the days till the opener :) Sept 1st.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh that's a shame! Any cosmetic damage to the receiver?

Boy how I miss shooting doves! Here they are a song bird...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:12 am Oh that's a shame! Any cosmetic damage to the receiver?

Boy how I miss shooting doves! Here they are a song bird...
No the reciever weathered the storm pretty well I think .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's good! It's much easier to fix wood!!
I've been rooting around in my pile of recoil pads, found one that will fit my Win 23. Of course I have to grind it to size, but I'm out of 9" disks! Going to try spray adhesive and a sheet of 100 grit...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:01 am That's good! It's much easier to fix wood!!
I've been rooting around in my pile of recoil pads, found one that will fit my Win 23. Of course I have to grind it to size, but I'm out of 9" disks! Going to try spray adhesive and a sheet of 100 grit...
A 23 huh ! I had a 23 Classic 28 gauge about thirty years ago ! Kinda wish I had it back , that was a rather nice dove , quail and skeet gun !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I found this one in a local shop, listed as LNIB for $1900. I went and looked at it, a Pigeon grade XTR 12 ga M/F. LOP is short at 13 &15/16" , pitch is a bit off too.
So I made a pitch spacer, re fit an old 3/4" recoil pad. Now I'll shoot it again and see if my fix works. If so ill order up a real spacer and a 1" pad.
Oh and not only was it LNIB it was UNFIRED!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!