Time marches on

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Time marches on

Post by Old Savage »

In the wild west
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Time marches on

Post by Ray »

Compare the car chase scenes and wide panoramic second unit shots of off studio lot locations on Mission Impossible, Cannon, and Rockford Files with what you see today.

Where it is flat, strip malls and apartments predominate.....the hills and dales are all subdivisions.....

Particularly on Rockford Files you can see the before and after wildfire results from season to season.

It is easy to see why mud/landslides are an ever present danger. On the telly, the hills look like mounds of loose, rocky soil.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Gunsmoke never did look like Dodge to me. Too many hills and trees.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

One thing about living out here is there are movie and TV settings all over the place.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Every time we revisit previous locations where we once lived (usually many years later), my wife doesn't recognize where we are - until she sees a street (name) sign.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

We retired and moved to SW Utah from Old Savages town. There are old western movie sets here too, especially around Kanab. The wife and I were east of Kanab up Johnson Canyon looking for a trail to ride with our ATV. We came up on a old western town movie set I didn't know about. Some old rough buildings and a gallows! Another couple were there and hamming it up, He had his wife or GF sticking her head in the noose! I see Gunsmoke was filmed there too.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... -pty_email

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLRZlGJbUqQ
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Long Branch Saloon is in those pics I believe.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The photo of ave de los arboles. Is fake. I just drove it 90 minutes ago and it was packed with cars.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:24 pm The Long Branch Saloon is in those pics I believe.
How about Miss Kitty and the loads of soft stuff. She was a hottie.
Model A Uzi’s
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

piller wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:46 am Gunsmoke never did look like Dodge to me. Too many hills and trees.

Exactly!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have seen some good believable story's on Gun smoke but many stupid ones. To start with they usually have bumpkins dressed in rags along with hats that look like they robbed them from a 150 year old grave and then threw them in a hay baler. It and most other westerns like show towns and ranch buildings look like they were already a 150 years old at the time a 150 years ago they are trying to depict. The westerns have always went to both extreams in dress, never realistically in the middle. When I was a kid the hero`s, Gene Autry, Roy Rodgers and Hoppy wore gaudy designer shirts etc. Now they like to dress the actors up in torn shot up hats etc. The indian war hoops are always in a high falsetto voice yet most either speak the kings english better than me or the opposite of someone that spent a half hour trying to learn english.
I used to work with a close friend (Russell Wiggins) who was on several episodes of gunsmoke. The only one I seen him in was good! (Town in chains) He played a U.S. Cavalry trooper and was demonstrating shooting a sharps. He did a good job and should have as Russ was in the special forces in Nam before I knew him.. He also was on the Los Angeles county sheriff`s dept.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Booger Bill wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:38 pm I have seen some good believable story's on Gun smoke but many stupid ones. To start with they usually have bumpkins dressed in rags along with hats that look like they robbed them from a 150 year old grave and then threw them in a hay baler. It and most other westerns like show towns and ranch buildings look like they were already a 150 years old at the time a 150 years ago they are trying to depict. The westerns have always went to both extreams in dress, never realistically in the middle. When I was a kid the hero`s, Gene Autry, Roy Rodgers and Hoppy wore gaudy designer shirts etc. Now they like to dress the actors up in torn shot up hats etc. The indian war hoops are always in a high falsetto voice yet most either speak the kings english better than me or the opposite of someone that spent a half hour trying to learn english.
I used to work with a close friend (Russell Wiggins) who was on several episodes of gunsmoke. The only one I seen him in was good! (Town in chains) He played a U.S. Cavalry trooper and was demonstrating shooting a sharps. He did a good job and should have as Russ was in the special forces in Nam before I knew him.. He also was on the Los Angeles county sheriff`s dept.
Just keep saying "It's only a movie/TV, it's only a movie/TV" and you'll be fine.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad