dumb phones

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

dumb phones

Post by JNG »

I have a $4.99 cell phone.
Had a I phone (waste of money.) The 4.99 does what I wish for.
Wife made me to get a cell for safety. I like hunting by
myself.
So, am I who hunts with cheap or no phone at all.

Joe
One time while in a tree, two hours from where I lived, the DC called for overtime!
MY loving wife gave him my number to call.

Joe
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: dumb phones

Post by jeepnik »

Count yourself lucky she only wants you to have a cell. I regularly go out into the desert where there is no signal (well, sometimes there is but I ain't telling). So she's been pushing the idea of a sat phone. I think I negotiated it down to one of those satellite based emergency position beacons.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I'm on my third free TracFone because, the others went obsilete.
They might find my truck, if the phone accidently got turned on.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:14 pm Count yourself lucky she only wants you to have a cell. I regularly go out into the desert where there is no signal (well, sometimes there is but I ain't telling). So she's been pushing the idea of a sat phone. I think I negotiated it down to one of those satellite based emergency position beacons.

I get by with a SPOT for my running around on backroads and Alaska.
It is not the critic who counts
fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by fatboy »

Out here near the end of the known universe, I find my ham radio has better connectivity than anything else. Since I'm an aging widower I do carry a cell phone in case I fall down the stairs getting to the wine cellar or my shop.
bob
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I only have a Clapper (not the STD ;) ) - if nobody gets the signal, oh well...…….. :mrgreen:

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My only way of getting my work schedule is by stupid phone. No phone, no job. :evil:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:21 pm My only way of getting my work schedule is by stupid phone. No phone, no job. :evil:
Yeah, I use mine all day long to check drug interactions or prices for patients, and to look up things that I don't know in the on-line medical journals. I can go online and skim an article on some strange topic while the patient is going to the bathroom to do a urinalysis or getting an EKG. It used to be I'd have to make a trip to the medical library at the nearest university to do that stuff.

Plus, since I don't share call with anyone else, I'm on 24/7@365, so my phone also serves as my pager.

And the BEST part.....I can play Sudoku, Kakuro, Alaskan Solitaire, AND log on to Leverguns...all while listening to a Dan Bongino podcast..... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

One of my friends was given a smart phone. He said it made all kinds of sounds, but the best sound it made was "KLUNK" when he threw it in and it hit the back of the dumpster.
serveimage.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Persons with them are imprisoned by them - that's why they are called cell phones...…… :mrgreen:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I would never consider trying to get along without mine. Especially on long trips, or camping. With the GPS feature they can locate my dead/dying azz within about 50 feet.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have a smart-phone but I'm not obsessed with it.

I make some calls, do some texting, and take a few photos.

Most of the time I leave it laying around. I almost never carry it with me.

I see it as more of a burden than a convenience.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

Flip phone, then, now and forever!

BB
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The moment I retire the phone goes away.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Stick shift Jeep, revolvers, no cellphone, no credit cards, no headaches, no one calling me for their "needs". I believe in "fate" and refuse to live in fear because if you need a cell phone to save your azz, your living your life unprepared.----6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pmWith the GPS feature they can locate my dead/dying azz within about 50 feet.
....that's what buzzards are for....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I have a sat phone and used to have an old flip style phone until last year. Finally got a smartphone to run my home internet off.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 pm
BlaineG wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pmWith the GPS feature they can locate my dead/dying azz within about 50 feet.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

When I was doing field service work, I had two radios in my truck and a Department cell, so I was never out of range. For my personal use, I have an old flip phone that just makes phone calls. It does have a camera and maybe a game, but I have never used any of the "smart extras". When I'm on the road my wife makes me take it with me, but normally if someone needs to get me, they'll just wait 'till I get home...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Like mickbr I use it for internet service for computer.

When we are riding motorcycles and bad weather is coming on you, click on weather service radar and can see exactly where rain or such is and can take alternate routes and may never get wet, nice to have, especially on a week or more trip.
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

For COSteve:

"I'm taking off next week on a loop from Denver to Kansas, to Iowa, to Nebraska, to Wyoming hitting a bunch of Auto and Air Museums"

Check out the Combat Air Museum in Topeka, at the south end of Forbes Field. I was privileged to fly their Gooney Bird (C-47 named 'Kilroy') for several years in the '80s. Great folks, great stuff. Enjoy!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have a smartphone, but have no computer. I use my phone for that stuff. I rarely use the telephone feature. Nobody calls me but my family.
It is also my camera, because it is with me when I need one. It's all I used on our recent trip to Alaska.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 pm
The ravens, too.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:12 pm Stick shift Jeep, revolvers, no cellphone, no credit cards, no headaches, no one calling me for their "needs". I believe in "fate" and refuse to live in fear because if you need a cell phone to save your azz, your living your life unprepared.----6
UhHuh....When the hell do you ever leave your property, or the paved highway? :roll: :roll:

On a regular basis I find myself, with only the dog, in the middle of places in the almost endless expanse of the Cascades where you won't see another person or vehicle all day, or even all week while camping/hunting. In addition to my smart phone, I'll have at least a .45acp along with, or is that "living in fear", too. :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Blaine...if you need information on the book your writing about my life, leave that part out and call it a mystery. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am not sure how we did it, but back in the day, we traveled all over the US and parts of Mexico without cell phones, GPS, or any type of radios. In the 1970's we traveled down into Baja numerous times. We would mark a village on a map and tell our folks, "If we ain't back in a month, start looking there."

Not too many years ago we traveled across northern Mozambique to the Malawi border without GPS, phones or maps. The "road" was a dirt track. Signs were rare and were usually hand-made. It took us almost 3 days to cross Mozambique.
7 bridge3.JPG
village3.jpg
2 the main road.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

trapper45 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:33 pm For COSteve:

"I'm taking off next week on a loop from Denver to Kansas, to Iowa, to Nebraska, to Wyoming hitting a bunch of Auto and Air Museums"

Check out the Combat Air Museum in Topeka, at the south end of Forbes Field. I was privileged to fly their Gooney Bird (C-47 named 'Kilroy') for several years in the '80s. Great folks, great stuff. Enjoy!
Before they died, an Aunt and Uncle lived near that area. Topeka is worth the visit for Forbes Field.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:09 pm Blaine...if you need information on the book your writing about my life, leave that part out and call it a mystery. :D ---6
8) 8) 8)
I quit after page one....Nothing to write about. :D :D

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:36 am I quit after page one....Nothing to write about. :D :D
I'll give ya credit...that was a good comeback. :D -----your pal----6
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JimT wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:44 pm I am not sure how we did it, but back in the day, we traveled all over the US and parts of Mexico without cell phones, GPS, or any type of radios. In the 1970's we traveled down into Baja numerous times. We would mark a village on a map and tell our folks, "If we ain't back in a month, start looking there."

Not too many years ago we traveled across northern Mozambique to the Malawi border without GPS, phones or maps. The "road" was a dirt track. Signs were rare and were usually hand-made. It took us almost 3 days to cross Mozambique.

7 bridge3.JPG

village3.jpg

2 the main road.JPG
It's called map and compass. I still prefer it. Sadly it's becoming a lost art. The only folks that still teach it are the military and possibly (but doubtfully) the (now the new politically correct name) Scouts.

You know, if they'd have had girls in the scouts when I was a kid I would have joined in a heartbeat.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:50 am
BlaineG wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:36 am I quit after page one....Nothing to write about. :D :D
I'll give ya credit...that was a good comeback. :D -----your pal----6
Thanks....I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress. Try the patty melt. 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It's called map and compass. I still prefer it. Sadly it's becoming a lost art. The only folks that still teach it are the military and possibly (but doubtfully) the (now the new politically correct name) Scouts.

You know, if they'd have had girls in the scouts when I was a kid I would have joined in a heartbeat.
[/quote]

In the Army, we had a Lieutenant who got lost every time he read a map. Lt Buennemeyer is now something like a Lt Colonel and stationed in the Pentagon. I would bet that he is still lost.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:31 am It's called map and compass. I still prefer it. Sadly it's becoming a lost art. The only folks that still teach it are the military and possibly (but doubtfully) the (now the new politically correct name) Scouts.

In the Army, we had a Lieutenant who got lost every time he read a map. Lt Buennemeyer is now something like a Lt Colonel and stationed in the Pentagon. I would bet that he is still lost.
[/quote]

I'll tell a story on myself.
In ANCOC, we were doing a Land Nav course, and while I actually knew exactly what I was doing, I forgot to take off the heavy metal wrist watch I was wearing on the arm I held the compass in....Need I go further?? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lt Bunny Rabbit Buennemeyer would place his compass on his 1911 for stability. He was always lost. He was also the one who was talked into adding canopy lights to his parachute. We also convinced him to requisition combat grade acetate to overlay his map. Gullible was not a strong enough word for him.
D. Brian Casady
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:16 am
piller wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:31 am It's called map and compass. I still prefer it. Sadly it's becoming a lost art. The only folks that still teach it are the military and possibly (but doubtfully) the (now the new politically correct name) Scouts.

I'll tell a story on myself.
In ANCOC, we were doing a Land Nav course, and while I actually knew exactly what I was doing, I forgot to take off the heavy metal wrist watch I was wearing on the arm I held the compass in....Need I go further?? :oops: :oops: :oops:
[/quote]

Now I know where Rambo got it. :D
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

My wife got me one of the SPOT devices like I used with the NPS and Forest Service. Has a check in feature which sends her a text with my GPS coordinates a "minor issue" button which basically means a dead battery on the truck or something along those lines, and an "oh pelosi" button to send for paramedics. Only used the check in button so far.

Easy to use, makes her happy and doesn't make any sounds for me. I don't bother with a phone.

Eric
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

yooper2 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:29 pm My wife got me one of the SPOT devices like I used with the NPS and Forest Service. Has a check in feature which sends her a text with my GPS coordinates, a "minor issue" button which basically means a dead battery on the truck or something along those lines, and an "oh pelosi" button to send for paramedics. Only used the check in button so far.

Easy to use, makes her happy and doesn't make any sounds for me. I don't bother with a phone.

Eric
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pm I would never consider trying to get along without mine. Especially on long trips, or camping. With the GPS feature they can locate my dead/dying azz within about 50 feet.
I have been on a number of calls where we had someone's cell phone pinged... was able to locate and recover what was left because of this technology... unfortunately, it's more of a dead azz, than dying, and occasionally their azz is still with us...and when they reach home their azz ends up in a sling... :O