Lil .458 Socom fun ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Lil .458 Socom fun ...

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Me want, but no can afford! ... 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKLlXjBgLYM
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Lil .458 Socom fun ...

Post by AJMD429 »

I didn't realize you would size the bullets after you powder coated them. That is interesting.

I also like the way he used his gloves to apply the case-sizing lubricant.

It's a shame they weren't able to do the accuracy testing. With bullets that long unless they have a really fast twist in those barrels I would be worried about the bullet hawing and causing a baffle strike.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, I got all sorts of ideas from that video -- including the glove technique.
Tromix offers a 1:10 twist Socom barrel for use with extra heavies, subsonic and suppressed. Wonder if that is what he was running.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have an AR15 lower that had been just sitting around. Good trigger on it with a factory 3 pound pull and user adjustable over travel. At a gunshow last weekend I purchased a .458 Socom upper. It is not light, but I want a little weight to the gun when it is approximately modern lever action .45-70 power level. Not too heavy, but not so light that it is going to beat me to death. I need to get some ammunition and go shoot it. Being a bit tired of hundreds of little points stabbing me in the shoulder, I bought and installed a little pad that covers the end of the butt stock. It is just hard rubber. No points. I put one on my 5.56 and it went from normal almost Military feel to un-noticeable. In the Army we wore those BDUs which were heavy cloth over a t-shirt. The BDUs covered up the little annoyances of those points. I am looking forward to trying the .458 Socom on something such as a wild pig.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Eager to hear how she works for you, Piller. I can't quite tell from all the videos if the reputation for recoil is in comparison to shooting .223 on the AR platform, or if it is really serious. Those of us who play with .45-70s and other useful tools may find it reasonably tolerable, I would think.
I did see on a .458 Socom forum optics thread that an oil buffer in the stock can take some of the sting out -- as far as shaking loose a scope's insides.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have had a 458 socom for several years. In all honesty I dabble with it then do something else then dabble. I have not dedicated the time to get it all dialed in. I can say that anything under 350 bullets is a waste of time. It did not like any load until I got in the 400 grain up range. Parts wearing together? Maybe. But it has been much better with the heavies although I don’t have anything heavier than 500 grains now. Also can’t seem to get my mojo going because my Silencerco hybrid is still in limbo. Once that gets cleared then I think my mojo will be standing straight up.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tom, what twist is your barrel? It seems they started at 1:16 then a lot of the makers went to a 1:14 as standard.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As far as recoil, I have a 50 Beowulf upper that is either 16 or 18 inches, and I certainly don't notice the recoil when shooting it, so probably that would put it on par with a 1903 Springfield or 44 magnum Marlin 1984. Those never really annoyed me to shoot, whereas going much above that gets my attention. I'm not particularly Macho about recoil, nor am I particularly sensitive about it.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Bill, i will look when I get home. Doc. I have shot it enough that I know the recoil doesn’t bother me.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Piller,
Colin has had one shot kills on feral hog and Nilgai with his Socom. Looks to be a good hunting cartridge.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Bill, it’s a 1:14. Required for heavies.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks for posting this. makes the 4th seem even more special, and I'm hunting for an upper. wonder if I could build one if I bought the barrel and bolt hardware?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Tom, er, Gramps! :lol:
Grizz, there are so many vendors out there with reviews all over the map. Parts isn't parts, it seems. Cuidado, amigo.
Good stuff here: http://458socomforums.com/index.php
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The issue is their is no mil-spec for 308 and 458 like with 5.56 so the companies sorta do what feels good.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

fordwannabe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:03 pmDoc. I have shot it enough that I know the recoil doesn’t bother me.
I think some percentage of the recoil is countered by the amount of 'thump' you know the recipient of the projectile will be feeling.... :twisted: ...."and thus, joyful anticipation counteracts fear of pain..." :lol:

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Bill

yeah, I know. I dealt with a certain low budget provider who is near central Texas, I wouldn't touch that stuff (again). I think Tromix and maybe Anderson? maybe are the trustworthy ones. Any others?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, Rock River Arms has an excellent reputation for their Socom uppers.
That said, I have a friend here who is an Afghan war vet who actually used the .458 Socom to pound holes in cinder block and adobe so the rest of the boys could get some 5.56 in to rattle around. He builds the uppers. May chat with him soon about this.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Bill, I'm interested and willing to sell off some stuff to get into the 458...
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Pennsylvania game commission was discussing the legalization of semi Auto’s for hunting. I really thought it was gonna pass, but they limited it to small game only at this point. LEGALLY I can’t shoot a deer with mine yet. I have floated the idea that if I remove the gas tube it has been modified to be a straight pull bolt gun. This was not met with great enthusiasm. It could still be .... blah blah , but stick an auto sear in a AR and it doesn’t matter what COULD be done to it, your a felon. Seems kinda a one way street to me. I am getting to the point with them that I may do it and if they confiscate my rifle.....it ain’t the only one I got. The judge I was speaking to said”his boys in the field wouldn’t know about that.” My comment was “maybe they should be trained better.” Guess who was the bad guy?
A head shot on a doe att 20-50 yards with a 500-550 grain bullet would just be devastating, I am guessing.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:10 pmA head shot on a doe att 20-50 yards with a 500-550 grain bullet would just be devastating, I am guessing.
The only thing about head-shots on deer is that a shot 4" off center may be lethal, but only very slowly (I'll never forget seeing a game-warden display at the county fair with photos of wounded game, hit by cars, caught in fences, and so on - one was a starved deer with the front of the jaw dangling limp, having been perforated with a bullet). Same with some nasal shots, or neck shots that just go through the meat and miss arteries, spine, etc. Personally, I'd try for a good old chest shot.

As to the legalities, I agree that some game-laws are definitely irrational and illogical. In Indiana you could at one time hunt with an Encore 14" pistol chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum, but a 16" 357 Magnum levergun was a violation, "because the bullet would carry too far from the rifle :roll: Finally, they did allow leverguns, but they never disallowed the handguns using high-ballistic-coefficient bullets like the 7mm Rem Mag, due to a contingent of hunters who insisted they wouldn't be able to hunt without such contraptions. I'm sure they never miss or overshoot their targets with those handguns... :roll:

I'll bet if you hunted with a gas-tube-less AR they would say it is still a 'semiautomatic' but just one that doesn't function. A fancy attorney would then hand the gun to their top conservation officer and challenge them to make it fire semiautomatically, but the attorney fee would be better spent buying lots of ammo, or buying a single-shot in the same chambering. It truly is annoying to have to play by rules written for the lowest common denominator, and written by those who are clueless, and mostly just accepting whatever lobbyists write for them that looks like it won't anger too many constituents or influential politicians. :|

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tom, that's an odd rule all right. Guess no one has ever been able to hunt deer in your state with a Remington Model 8.
State game commissions are not known for clear thinking. I once asked why Oregon would not allow the use of adult airguns to harvest upland game birds, as California allows.
I was told air rifles were so quiet, no one could tell anyone was hunting. This is a bad thing? What about arrows?
Sheesh!

:roll:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Doc as to the head shot. I would not take the shot unless absolutely certain and I use a rest in my stand. It is true you could wound but there is a lot more air around that head than deer. As to the attorney I believe having talked to my attorney he would like to “discuss this with them” AND he better not charge me....I been his big brother since his first breath.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:16 pm Doc as to the head shot. I would not take the shot unless absolutely certain and I use a rest in my stand. It is true you could wound but there is a lot more air around that head than deer. As to the attorney I believe having talked to my attorney he would like to “discuss this with them” AND he better not charge me....I been his big brother since his first breath.

https://kalikey.com/product/ar15-kali-key/
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Head shot is my favorite shot and always first choice. I did this routinely with a handgun over many seasons over many years. Probably around half the season's harvest were head shots.

Not taking a head shot, on the basis that an animal might be wounded and suffer, is a reason not to hunt because every kind of hunting and every kind of hunter is exposed to the possibility of wounding an animal, including one I didn't see standing behind the one I shot.

My pistol shots were as reliable as my rifle shots in pistol range, and out of pistol range I took head shots unless there was a reason to take the heart-lung shot. If you don't want game to suffer, DON'T BLOW UP THE HEART, because it causes extreme trauma to the animal before it dies. The CNS shot is the only "humane" shot that I am aware of, the animal is dead before it hits the ground. I have seen this many many times.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that AR15 key is better than a poke in the eye. don't know if they would persecute anyone wealthy enough to beat them in the fake courts. they would pick on me and I'd be in the slammer for a long time, which is why I evade kali when I travel most of the time.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Cool concept. Thanks Doc.