Buffalo Bore Heavy 38-55 in my 94BB

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimK
Levergunner

Buffalo Bore Heavy 38-55 in my 94BB

Post by JimK »

Hey there, New Guy here. I have had this 1978 94 Big Bore, .375 since I bought it new off Gunbroker, back in '99 or '98. I never hunted with it, just shot it at the range, out in the desert at rocks. It always shot very well with the 200 factory load and the 220 Hornady/R7 handload I played with. I also played with R7/265 GC Beartooth bullet and it is a good shooter. I thought my grandson may want to shoot it someday so back then I had it Magnaported, and a Limbsaver pad added. A trigger job and a Williams FP receiver sight completed the rig. I had finally decided that I AM going to hunt with it now, even on heavy snow/rainy days, and not worry about the pristine finish on it. ha After all, I bought/used my first Mod 94 ( a Classic Carbine) in 1968 down in the "rain forest" of SE, Texas. All we used was 3 IN 1 Oil and later, the "miracle oil", WD-40, a trotline and piece of flannel kept the bore clean. No rust allowed on any weapon in my dads house either! ha

Anyhow, with time always being an issue for me, I decided to try some of the Buffalo Bore 255FN Heavy 38-55 I had read about for decades. I took the 94 and a Mod 700 .270 to the range today and did some shooting. I didn't get to set up the chronograph as the range was full. I had made a 5" black square on a white background for my levergun target. I like to use a 6 o'clock, top of the bead hold at 100. I zero to have the bullets hit +2", up into the black square. This is "self correcting", usually, as it then hits "center" of the bead at 150 and "bottom" of the bead at 200yds. With most levergun calibers anyhow, give or take, due to the subtension. I "used to" use a 4" black square for years, and "should have" made this one a 10" square, ha. "Something has happened" to my eyesight. lol I had to hunker down and squint ( even with my glasses!) to finally get it 1 1/2" up into the black. Best thing is this ammo is so accurate, I didn't shoot for group, I just dialed it in in 5 shots! Its stout, but way under the 50K+ limit of the Big Bore. It still "felt" like a Marlin 444, but the little rifle feels like it weighs like a 94/22 magnum! ha Anyhow, the ammo is expensive, but for the time I save not having to work up a load with the components ( yes, the 255FN from Barnes seems like it is more available now than it was 20ys ago!) and it is NOT a plinking load. I expect the remaining 35rds I have will last me awhile! If you were ever wondering about this ( or now, Buffalo Bore has a Heavy 375 Winchester load) Heavy 38-55/255FN ammo for hunting, I can easily recommend the "shooting" part. Hopefully, there will at least be some big hogs in this rifles future, if not a big cow elk! Rev Jim Knight
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Buffalo Bore Heavy 38-55 in my 94BB

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire Jim, thanks for an interesting report too... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome - ya gotta luv it, when a plan comes together ! :mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds fun.

My sight has the same issues, so I am replacing most 'factory' sights with Williams FP's or < gasp > optics.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:56 pm Sounds fun.

My sight has the same issues, so I am replacing most 'factory' sights with Williams FP's or < gasp > optics.
My BB 94 .375 is AE, so when I get a round tuit, I have a 2x Nikon that's going on it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JimK
Levergunner

Post by JimK »

I like to use the "Twilight" apertures when hunting, especially in the woods. Out in the desert, plenty of light. I found that I could see a close mule deer well enough to kill it awhile after legal shooting hours. This was on my last hunt with a Mod 336/30-30, about 11 yrs ago! I always carried my binocs so I could see the sex on the thing. No, I didn't kill it after hours, it was a doe and I had a buck tag. :)
JimK
Levergunner

Post by JimK »

I wouldn't have shot even a buck after shooting hours, ha