2019 Rossi oversize bore

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

2019 Rossi oversize bore

Post by kooz »

Just picked up a new Rossi in .44 mag and took it shooting yesterday . Barrel was leading up pretty heavy even though I was using GC bullets at fairly mild velocities , mostly Skeeter loads in .44spl and a few .44 mags with 9gr unique and the same 260gr gc bullet (WW alloy) . When I got home I decided to slug the bore and discovered it to be .43285 , This gun was made 15 April 2019 , so one of the new ones …….I guess they decided to go back to oversize bores again !?!?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 2019 Rossi oversize bore

Post by Rusty »

That is a standard sized bore for a rifle in .44 Mag according to SAAMI specs. It always has been.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

So if it's SAAMI spec , it must be good...….now that's funny !
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Obvious lay it’s going to need larger bullets cast specifically for it. I have been down that road some.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Yea, I am going to have to try some bigger bullets for sure . I have gone up to .432 and still leading, even w/gas checks . Just casted up and water dropped some bullets a few minutes ago , going to give them a whirl soon as I can . Biggest problem is finding dies that will reload the ammo when the bullets exceed .432. I have a few sets here , but they will not accommodate anything larger than .432
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

It was a shocker when , after I purchased a Marlin, to learn about the 2 specs. My bore was only .4323". Put a temporary stop to my quest, to figure out what paths I was going to take, to have a hand gun - rifle combo. Bullets that fit the rifle would not fit the revolver and bullets that fit the revolver leaded the heck in the rifle. Did not want to mess with my Redhawk, that I have had for close to 40 years. Sooo I opted to rebarreled the rifle, saving all the old stuff to be able to return to original if I ever sold it. Put a 1-16 twist .429 Douglas barrel on. Now one bullet, two firearms and the rifle will spin the 300 grgc cast pills accurately at cat sneeze velocities. Expensive route, but I got to where I wanted.

Funny how much can be accomplished when you throw enough money at it. :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Dunno why, but handgun SAAMI groove diameter specs are .429" and for rifle barrels it's .431". My Rossi slugged out at .432"+ and I had to do some fiddling with my molds and sizers. I shoot about .433"+ to .434"...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

BTW, it should shoot jacketed bullets just fine. My .44 Handi Rifle slugs @ .432. Fortunately I have a Lee mold that will shoot in it as cast, no sizing at all.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.