338 Federal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

338 Federal

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a 338 Federal 7 or 8 years ago or rather a barrel in that caliber for the Encore Pro Hunter I used to have . Well since Jerry’s Sporting declared bankruptcy I’ve ordered s left handed Savage Model 11 in 260 REM for the wife and a day or two ago I ordered another Savage in 338 Federal and six boxes ammo at a greatly reduced price (otherwise I’d not have ordered). And since that’s coming I’ve ordered from Midway 100 Starline cases and a set of RCBS dies as well as three boxes of Barnes 160’s for the 338 Federal . My second AR-10 that is in the works to become a second 260 REM May miraculously turn into a 338 Federal now , think I just might like the 338 a skoosh better on a rifle setup with thermal optics for night sluicing .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 338 Federal

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Out of curiosity, did you ever happen to touch off a 338 Federal in the T/C Encore? Was there a tendon/ligament check afterward?

How is it you don't have a #1 in 338 Federal? Or was it your father with the #1 stash?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm Out of curiosity, did you ever happen to touch off a 338 Federal in the T/C Encore? Was there a tendon/ligament check afterward?

How is it you don't have a #1 in 338 Federal? Or was it your father with the #1 stash?
Yeah the Encore shot nicely , in the #1’s we had a 338 Win Mag for awhile never did get a 338 Federal . I don’t get the tendon ligament damage the cartridge is rather mild I think . As to a stash of #1’s that was kind of a combined thing and we still have four of them .
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Oh, I didn't realize the Encore Pro Hunter was a full rifle. My brain was thinking of the original Contender pistol.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I too had a barrel for my encore, wasnt overly impressed with the barrel and set it on its merry way. But since I'm a .338 fan I picked up a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 338 federal, shot a cow elk with it- worked just fine. Now it sits in the safe next to my K98 338 Win Mag which also killed an elk.
At the time Federal was the only ammo , my gun likes the 200 gr fusion load, have 5 boxes and a bunch of brass.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:19 pm I too had a barrel for my encore, wasnt overly impressed with the barrel and set it on its merry way. But since I'm a .338 fan I picked up a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 338 federal, shot a cow elk with it- worked just fine. Now it sits in the safe next to my K98 338 Win Mag which also killed an elk.
At the time Federal was the only ammo , my gun likes the 200 gr fusion load, have 5 boxes and a bunch of brass.
I got six boxes of Federal Fusion with 180 grain bullets u believe . It was the cheapest they had and I was buying for the brass . I since have ordered 100 pieces of Starline brass since I’ll more then likely set up an AR-10 upper as well . Encore barrel I had shot some really tight groups with both factory and handloads . I’m just not died in the wool on the Encore/Contenders I’ve had them over the years and I loose intrest pretty easily . The Pro Hunter I had was a three barrel set . Made it mostly for the Eastern Shore of Maryland Sika Deer . Stainless ML upper and stainless 12 gauge rifled for gun season on the Blackwater NWR . Got the 338 Federal barrel because I wanted to try it . I never did like the feel of an Encore long gun .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:58 pm Oh, I didn't realize the Encore Pro Hunter was a full rifle. My brain was thinking of the original Contender pistol.
Only Encore or Contender I ever had that would jar you was a Contender in 444 with I think a 12” barrel .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:56 pm
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:58 pm Oh, I didn't realize the Encore Pro Hunter was a full rifle. My brain was thinking of the original Contender pistol.
Only Encore or Contender I ever had that would jar you was a Contender in 444 with I think a 12” barrel .
:shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Looks very interesting for a pig stomper
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Scrumbag wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:42 am Looks very interesting for a pig stomper
Not piggies , we shoot deer at night sometimes on damage control .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It would be a great pig rig in an AR10.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimK
Levergunner

Post by JimK »

I used TAC under the Barnes 160TTSX from a Hawkeye SS 338 Fed, 22" barrel, it was going an average 3007fps! Thtas 7mm Rem Mag territory! I never hunted with it, though my SIL did with the 180 NAB on mule deer. Another friend uses a Tikka 338 Fed and the 185 TSX factory ammo on elk & mule deer. Its a killer!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Wow that's smoking right along!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!