Winchester Mod -94 quality gets me again (problems)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester Mod -94 quality gets me again (problems)

Post by remshooter »

last month bought a 1977 made Winchester 94 Well Fargo collecters rifle ,but i shoot it, it pretty and just like the daisey Buffalo Bill Mod 94 B B gun i got in 1975 . Anyway looking down while cleaning ,action all the way open .The left side cartridge guide moves, about 1/16 inch or more up and down if push with ink pen,i can see the end of guide screw ,it moves up and down with the guide ,so i guess the screw is broken.Although the outside part of screw is tight I checked that ,i have not tried to loosen it ,my two other Mod 94 ,do not do this ,they dont move ,i just went out and shot 100 rounds thru it ,and 50 rounds last week end ,as of the last shot rifle works as it should ,it only moves up and down ,but not forward and backward . The rifle looked like it was never shot , so i guess it broke at the factory install ,or while i was shooting it ,screws look as if never touched. Mid west gun works is out of cartridge guides...MY QUESTION IS... since it works ,maybe it best to leave it alone .Does anyone know of any longterm problems leaving it like this? ,as in causeing undue wear on other parts?........since 1982 ,new or used ,i have no luck with winchester ,
Last edited by remshooter on Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester Mod -94 quality gets me again (problems)

Post by Pete44ru »

I've never experienced a loose cartridge guide in a Winchester 94, since I bought my first over 50 years ago.

If I was going to hang it, I'd leave it alone.

If I was going to use it, I'd buy a new guide & screw to keep in reserve.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If guide screw is in hole and loose, moving up & down, it will eventually wallow out the hole. I'd recommend removing to inspect & repair. If guide screw is broken, the only thing holding the guide is the bolt, and it can come out without the bolt removed. Check with Wisner's or Gun Parts Inc (Numrich) for parts.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Griff said +1 . I would remove the guide, inspect the parts and replace damaged parts as needed before further use.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Fix it.
Even though it works perfectly now that doesn't mean it will work when you NEED it like a very cold December day when the buck of a life time steps out!
Besides you might find the screw is fine but the lifter is broken
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by remshooter »

HAHAHA my 56 year old eyes even with glasses suck ,earler i watched the out side of the screw and it didnt seem to move ,when i wiggled the cart. guide , i tried to tighten that guide screw ,it felt tight ,and i did not want to tighten too much since it is a small screw .So i got a magnifying glass ,and looked ,sure enuff screw moved ,so i tightened it real hard anyway ,it snugged it up to where it dont move ,but i already ordered a guide and screws ,oh well guess i well have spares now