Photo of my vintage Marlin Model 1889

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Photo of my vintage Marlin Model 1889

Post by KirkD »

I've been doing a lot of shooting recently with my Marlin Model 1889 38-40. This rifle was shipped from the factory on December 12, 1889. It's first place in the queue to go deer hunting this fall. Second place is a sweet Winchester Model 1894 38-55, and third place is a Springfield Model 1888 45-70. Tough to make decisions sometimes.
Marlin 1889.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Photo of my vintage Marlin Model 1889

Post by crs »

SOUNDS AS IF YOU COULD BRING HOME THE BACON THIS FALL.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great Photo once again. Thanks for posting
It is not the critic who counts
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Kirk, that Marlin just oozes " been there done that"...... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Glad you can enjoy this old Marlin too, men!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice one, Kirk!
I have an 1889 in 38-40 also. Mine is a round barrel with a 2/3 magazine. It shoots very well, as I'm sure yours does.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Kirk, she is just beautiful. You do face a tough choice this fall!

8)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

KirkD wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:22 pm
I've been doing a lot of shooting recently with my Marlin Model 1889 38-40.

It's first place in the queue to go deer hunting this fall.

Second place is a sweet Winchester Model 1894 38-55, and third place is a Springfield Model 1888 45-70.

Tough to make decisions sometimes.

To maximize my enjoyment of them, I designate a different rifle for each day's deer hunting. :roll:

You have a "Monday' rifle, a "Tuesday" rifle, and a "Wednesday" rifle - so you need a few more to complete the week..... ;)

:mrgreen:

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks great Kirk. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Great looking 1889 Marlin Kirk! I've used one in .38-40 for mule deer and it was the most impressive kill I've ever had, regardless of caliber! It was doe season and since I'd already taken a buck I figured why not take the "little .38-40" for doe season? Opening day I approached a draw and carefully peeked over the edge to see 3 does standing on the opposite side of the draw. I sat down and shouldered the 1889 and waited for the doe to turn and give me a side shot. But she just stood there staring at me and refused to budge. After about 5 minutes I feared she'd bolt if she did move, so I aimed at her chest and touched off the 1889. The 170 gr. cast bullet struck where I aimed and she reared up and flipped over on her back, stone dead. The other two does stood there looking at her, and my nephew took one with his modern bolt rifle.
The reaction to that .38-40 hitting her left both of us very impressed, and we looked to see the bullet path when I field dressed her. The shot was slightly downhill, and slightly angled. The bullet entered her chest, and exited the back edge of her rib cage on one side. Not a huge entrance or exit wound, but certainly enough to do the job well.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Pete44ru: That is a great idea!

Marlinman93: I enjoyed that hunting story. Thanks for posting it. With my pure lead bullets, I might even get a bit of expansion.

Pitchy: By gum! I just noticed you are the posting leader!! Looks like I've fallen way behind.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Very nice Kirk!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What great looking rifle.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Its a beauty
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Kirk, as usual its a beautiful rifle and photo. What are the components of your load ? I have always pulled soft points from old factory rounds and loaded them to about 1650 fps for hunting and they killed with authority in a 92 Win. In the book sold by Fur Fish and Game magazine 50 years a hunter and trapper the author wrote the he loved his 73 in 38 WCF above all others and it never let him down for deer and bear. He was a professional woods loafer who hunted for the market. He also stated he preferred the black powder loads because of the cost being low. So I am thinking I should load a 1/30 or so bullet to 1350 fps with my Lyman mold and see for myself. My Late father once laughed at me about 40 years ago when I told him I was afraid to shoot a deer with Gramps rifle because of what gun rag writers had written. His response was shoot them in the lungs and you will have a deer.