Idiots

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Idiots

Post by jnyork »

Wife and I were drinking coffee on the front porch this morning and remembering some of the notable events we've had during our hunting days. Thought you might be interested in this one.

Several years ago we were elk hunting about the 1st of November or so in an area a few miles Northeast of Dubois , Wyoming. Morning temp was around 20 degrees and snowing with a 10-15 mph wind in the clear areas.

We hiked up a hill through the timber and came into a little clearing on top of a ridge. Windy, snowing and a heavy fog had settled in with visibility no more than 50 yards. Just as we decided to head back , we saw another hunter approaching us from out of the fog. Guy had a backpack on, frost in his beard and eyebrows. As we chatted him up for a few moments, to our horror we discovered that the backpack contained a tiny baby, a child. When asked about this, he replied that his wife had to work that day and he wanted to go elk hunting, so just brought the kid along. :shock: We quickly wished him luck, bid him adieu and made our way back down the hill to the truck.

Here's another:

About 5 miles East of Atlantic City Wyoming, my wife and I were hunting elk on a pleasant Fall morning. After an hour or so of sneeking and peeking through the timber and junipers, we decided to take a break so we concealed ourselves downwind of a clearing and a draw and see if any game might appear. As we were having a little sip of coffee, we heard a thrashing and crashing in the thick brush up the hill from us, along with the sound of a loud engine and some music. What the hell, we wondered. Soon, on a grown-over two track we had not noticed only about 20 yards away, there appeared a very beat-up pickup. There were 4 guys in it. Two were in the cab blasting Hank Williams Jr. Two were in the bed, hanging on to the headache rack. One of them had a crossbow in his hand, the other one was blowing on an elk call. I aint making this up. They never saw us and continued on down the hill. We declared victory and headed back to camp. :roll:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Idiots

Post by AJMD429 »

I've hiked and hunted with my baby daughter in a heavy, belted shirt, so the kid was in front where I could keep an eye on her. Used a suppressed 22 LR levergun, so as not to mess with her hearing. Got a fair number of rabbits doing that, plus a few feral cats.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

They're everywhere.

Several years ago I was walking back to my cabin at the end of opening day for deer / rifle season in PA, well after sunset and legal shooting hours when a nice buck trotted away from me heading downhill from the path I was on. Next thing I know some bone head is shooting at that deer right back up at me. It took every ounce of self control I had not to empty my '06 back down the hill! Worst part was, that same buck was face down in the creek the next morning, dead as a doornail! That A.. H... actually hit it with his volley fire and couldn't take the time to even go look for it. Still makes me angry!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Early one autumn I was sitting at the base of a tree watching a deep hollow when I heard the crunch of leaves and a man approaching. He was dressed in khaki safari garb and wearing a beekeeper's bonnet and veil and carried a long handled net in one hand and a polesaw in the other. He greeted me in an odd manner with a rather fruity englisher accent and asked if I had seen any wasp's nests. He pronounced the "a" in wasps different than we do with something of a boris karloff lisp. I replied no and he politely tipped his bonnet with an apology and went on his way. Sometime later I saw him on the local evening news and he was an entomologist/professor from the local university who specialized in hornets. When he asked me about wasp's nest he must have been looking for tree limb hornet's nests. Cooler weather is obviously safer to dissect nests and no, he was not wearing the requisite hunter's orange.
m.A.g.a. !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I know a local guy that straps his newborn son on his back while fly fishing!! Yes he wades into the river! First time I saw this I was dumbfounded but all the other trout bums dont think twice about it.

A college buddy was dating a veterinary student, she had a baby that went in a pack while she was doing rectal exams on cows- yup by the end of the day the kid was covered in cow flop!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I guess I have been fortunate. Nothing like those things have happened to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have mentioned this before, I once found two naked middle-aged men fooling around in a patch of stinging nettles. :shock: being as I was the gamekeeper at the time I politely asked them to leave... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Stinging nettles- ya should have left them alone!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:07 am Stinging nettles- ya should have left them alone!
I couldn't, they were frightening the squirrels...... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:16 am
GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:07 am Stinging nettles- ya should have left them alone!
They were probably afraid they were going to grab their nuts.... :shock: 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:03 am
gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:16 am
They were probably afraid they were going to grab their nuts.... :shock: 8)
Never mind the squirrels nuts, I have my own to worry about too.... :?
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Several years ago, I was driving along a gravel road in a National Forest, headed to a spot I wanted to hunt deer.

As I rounded a curve in the road, I saw a truck about 1/4 mile ahead parked off the road. A Nimrod was looking at me through his rifle scope propped over the corner of the hood.

As I pulled up beside him, I asked in a not so polite tone, "Were you pointing that rifle at me?" (It was a long action bolt gun with at least a 50mm scope)

He said, "Naw, not really....I was just making sure you weren't the Game Warden.

!!! :evil: !!! Needless to say, that changed my outlook on hunting wide open public land.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I've met a few guys over the years that talk about taking some, good sound shots, was always glad i had my own land to hunt.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:27 pm I've met a few guys over the years that talk about taking some, good sound shots, was always glad i had my own land to hunt.

I only ever met one - and I told him to be very quiet when he left, as I also take sound shots.
He got very pale, and tip toed away.... :twisted:
Merle from PA
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've only hunted public land once, and it was a good experience, but it was a place few people knew about, and a 'special hunt' day few were aware of. Only saw one other vehicle on a 2,500 acre or so parcel. No success, but we had a good time. Heard no other shots, either.