Another another 410 topic! Special loading data??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Another another 410 topic! Special loading data??

Post by Nath »

Sorry to be a pain but I need you loading computer program whizz kids!
I just got me another beater 410 only this one has a full length moderator and it is very quiet!
Got to do some stock work in fact it needs replacing but what I was wondering is that I could use this thing in the garden.
Now I have some green dot and herco.....I know way to fast for 410 but what about just 1/4oz of small shot up front?? Say 900fps??
Do the programs throw any info up??

Thanks gents.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Another another 410 topic! Special loading data??

Post by gamekeeper »

Hi Nath, I had one of those with the full length moderator, looked a bit like a Lewis gun :wink: I found it not so quiet in confined areas but I only ever used standard ammo.
The 9 mm Flobert shells held about a 1/4 oz of small shot at about 600 FPS so I guess what you are looking for will be more effective than the 9mm and still be relatively quiet. That would make a very useful tool for vermin in a more built up area. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks John.
I have fooled with fast powder and special loadings in 410 before a long time ago. I just wondered if there is any electronic predictions available.
Pure assumption has me believing factory ammo is mostly built around the ancient and weaker actions of yesteryear. I base this on some American loadings and some Italian ammunition being much stronger than most.
So going the opposite direction with faster powder all be it a small amount and a light load of say 110grn of #7-8 shot should make for a near silent load. Ok pellets will still fly and have to be accounted for for sure.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I use Lilgun in my 410, never tried to make up anything special but it gets fed narf's regularly!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Turns out a small amount of green dot launches 1/4 of shot just dandy and is lethal at 15yds plus.
It is very very quiet!
My wife never heard a thing from in side 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:06 am Hi Nath, I had one of those with the full length moderator, looked a bit like a Lewis gun :wink: I found it not so quiet in confined areas but I only ever used standard ammo.
My use of silencers is more with sub sonic center fire rifles . Anyway you speak of sound in a confined area . I used a 308 with sub sonic ammo and a suppressor in a kind of bowl when the leaves were green and of course on the trees . As you would expect I was perched up high in a tree and when the gun went off it “seemed” a lot louder than at the range , under both circumstances I shot suppressed without ear protection . At the range it “seemed” a lot quieter .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What exactly is a small amount? 1 dram? 10 grains?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I asked over on SHOTGUNWORLD in the reloading section. Hope something turns up there.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:10 pm What exactly is a small amount? 1 dram? 10 grains?
5.5 grains.
5 is a little weak.
6 I get stiff extraction.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bad photo of a Pedretti shotgun with moderator.... they don't look quite this bad but "Lewis Gun" always came to mind when I had mine... :D
540x360.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

IMG_20190630_155202.jpg
The card was shot at 25yds with my cat sneeze load.
25 yds is pushing it for 1/4oz!
It was just a target used for back yard noise assesment.

N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

5.5 green dot- check
1/4 oz of narf's- check

Pattern looks a bit thin ( not surprising with 1/4 oz)but should do fine for most critters at Back garden distances.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:06 am 5.5 green dot- check
1/4 oz of narf's- check

Pattern looks a bit thin ( not surprising with 1/4 oz)but should do fine for most critters at Back garden distances.
Yes, that's 25yds and pushing it. That was not the 5.5grn load also
At 15 it is a deadly pattern with 5.5 GRN, a good 12" wide!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

For 25 yds that's not too bad, I do not know how thin the pattern would be from a 9mm Flobert at that range ? I never tried it , the shells were unfortunately too hard to get.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:28 am For 25 yds that's not too bad, I do not know how thin the pattern would be from a 9mm Flobert at that range ? I never tried it , the shells were unfortunately too hard to get.
Does 9mm flobert shoot 1/4 Oz GK?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:45 am
gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:28 am For 25 yds that's not too bad, I do not know how thin the pattern would be from a 9mm Flobert at that range ? I never tried it , the shells were unfortunately too hard to get.
The RWS 9mm Flobert I last bought had 7 an narf grams of #10 which I believe is about 1/4 oz.
Just googled it 71/2g = 0.265 Oz.
I don't know if you have seen this site?: www.smallboreshotguns.com
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:31 am
Nath wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:45 am
The RWS 9mm Flobert I last bought had 7 an narf grams of #10 which I believe is about 1/4 oz.
Just googled it 71/2g = 0.265 Oz.
I don't know if you have seen this site?: www.smallboreshotguns.com
Looks good John, thanks.
And flobert does shoot 1/4oz! I never knew that.
8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I think what you are doing will be more humane than the Flobert, a bit of extra velocity should give those little pellets more clout. :wink:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nath, i did a check on Cast Boolits forumn for ".444 shotshell loads"...... Found quite a few "alternate" loads using herco, clays, unique and red-green-blue Dot powders for the .410. I was gonna use uinque and blue dot for trying out in .410 loads this winter, but grabbed Remington 57 primers, instead of 209's. I have 4 different .410's plus a 15" 410 insert for my .20 gauge barrel.
PS, i found a Chiappa Lil Badger in 9mm Flobert last month, but $350 was too much for me.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:10 am Nath, i did a check on Cast Boolits forumn for ".444 shotshell loads"...... Found quite a few "alternate" loads using herco, clays, unique and red-green-blue Dot powders for the .410. I was gonna use uinque and blue dot for trying out in .410 loads this winter, but grabbed Remington 57 primers, instead of 209's. I have 4 different .410's plus a 15" 410 insert for my .20 gauge barrel.
PS, i found a Chiappa Lil Badger in 9mm Flobert last month, but $350 was too much for me.
Thanks.
I have some herco too but wanted to sit on it for specialized 12 g loads!
I had a stack of #57 primers. I err used paper and nail varnish to secure them....yes I am a tight wad :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I wrapped 2 layers of scotch tape to hold one in place, then was gonna use hot glue to hold others in place and decided to cut down and split a couple of dead trees for the stove instead. Its not cheap, i prefer to call it ingenuity! :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:50 am I wrapped 2 layers of scotch tape to hold one in place, then was gonna use hot glue to hold others in place and decided to cut down and split a couple of dead trees for the stove instead. Its not cheap, i prefer to call it ingenuity! :mrgreen:
8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

From Shotgunworld,

I think that might be pretty far off the garden path. Anything in the normal velocity range (1150-1250 fps) needs the slow powders to be in the safe pressure range. They are also supersonic so you will get some noise from the shot charge itself. This is something where a fellow may have to blaze his own trail. If it was me I'd be looking to try medium speed shot shell powders like Unique,Herco etc. and work in the 600-800 fps range. Good luck.

And a second post.

Use subs. There are lots of recipes
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nath, heard of another way to use 57 primers in 209 pockets. Take a plastic drinking straw and cut it to length of primer pocket and insert it, then start the 57 primer into that. The straw takes up the slack. ...... :mrgreen: