Bipod

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Bipod

Post by bikerbeans »

At the risk of being tarred and feathers i am asking if anyone has put a bipod on a marlin 336 or glenfield 30? I am having fistula surgery in a few weeks (i will be hunting one handed this fall) and want to deer hunt with one of my LGs. I know i could use a revolver but i don't shoot them often enough to be proficient.

BB
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Bipod

Post by AJMD429 »

I've used a Harris bipod (and a clone I think from Caldwell) on about every rifle (and Contender and Charger pistols) I own. Most models simply attach to the standard sling swivel.

(If you have a gun without swivels, you can easily install a set or if you are reluctant you can improvise other means; many bipods also attach to standard picatinny rails, and a radiator clamp and some bicycle innertube to cushion it could temporarily affix a section of rail. Personally, I'd just put on a set of sling studs...)

The only issue is on guns with narrow fore ends, sometimes you have to put a bit of felt or other filler on the top platform of the bipod. I don't think I had to do that with any of the Marlin rifles though.

There is also a quick detach adapter called VersaPod that fits over standard sling swivel studs and has a forward projection that their bipod can quickly snap on and off of. One advantage with those is there is a little bit more left and right and tilt possible than with the standard Harris bipod. That can be important for best sight alignment and uneven terrain.

I've also never figured out how to shoot a bipod off of a hard surface like a bench and get good groups; however shooting prone on ordinary soil seems to do just fine. I think what happens is that there is some bounce or something induced with the really hard surface.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using a bipod on a lever action, but then again I have some lever actions that not only have scopes, but holographic sights, and even laser sights. I have even used an infrared night sight on a suppressed leveraction.... :o

No reason to use anything less than what you need and what best fits YOUR mission, and if a levergun is part of that equipment, so much the better...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, I guess Doc put a quick end to this post by answering every conceivable question one could have on bi pods. Go Doc!---6

May the Good Lord bless the invention of the picatinny rail and the myriad of adaptors you can get for them. You can go to a gunshop that has lots of AR stuff and give them a look see to see how you can adapt for your gun, no matter what kind of gun you have.

I shoot lots of handguns regularly and believe you would be better off with a handgun...it does not take a lifetime of practice to be proficient enough to drop a deer at 50 yards or less. A 357 would be fine.---6
Model A Uzi’s
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

friend of mine swears by his un attached bipod, bogs?, I forget which one, they also have a tripod thats extremely stable, and the rest pivots, which is nice. If your on uneven ground then that may be a good option for you. If in a shooting house with bench then the attached bipod might work better.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As far as handguns, if you have a healing fistula, the deer-capable handguns might mostly have too much recoil for your healing arm, and one-janded accurate shooting is way more difficult. I agree with going with the rifle.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I believe Harris also sells an adapter that clamps the mag tube and allows their bipods to be mounted on rifles that have mag tubes?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/