Older Marlin 336s do have short throats

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Older Marlin 336s do have short throats

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Friend Fordwannabe graciously sent me a sample of his nicely cast boolits from the NOE 360-230 mold, and as expected, they will not chamber in my 1951 336-A in .35 Remington with the famous short Marlin throat. You can see the lands digging in well before I could get the bolt closed. By comparison, the Lee 200-grain RCBS clone chambers just dandy. I have ordered Accurate 360-210A and have hopes it will make a fine hunting boolit. Will report when the mold arrives and I can cast up a mess.

Imagefullsizeoutput_11bb by ComeWatson, on Flickr
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Older Marlin 336s do have short throats

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have had that same problem with my early Marlin .35 Rem. Casting the bullets of 30:1 alloy solved the chambering issue in mine and they shot wonderfully accurate. I switched to the RCBS bullet cast of wheel weights to allow higher velocity for hunting Deer
But for range plinking the soft bullets work great.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Older Marlin 336s do have short throats

Post by Pete44ru »

The throat can be easily "fixed" with a few manual turns of a throating reamer - then you can shoot whatever floats your boat. :)