Another .410 thread

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Another .410 thread

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks to our dear, enabling friend in the United Kingdom, I got the .410 single-shot bug and came up with this one. It is a Revelation/Western Auto Model 335, and may be unfired. I initially thought it might be a Mossberg product, but after looking at schematics, it is definitely a version of Marlin's Model 59. There are some quirks. The bolt closure is very stiff -- a result, I believe, of inexpensive manufacture and have never been fired. I will use a little valve-grinding compound on the bolt root and that should smooth things up. The other thing is that there seems to be no combination of safety position and pulling or pushing on the trigger to allow the bolt to be removed. This is a puzzler. I will probably have to contact Marlin for guidance. Only thing "wrong" with this piece is the brass bead front sight is missing, but easily replaced.
Now where did I put that bag of narfs? :lol: 8)

Imagefullsizeoutput_11ac by ComeWatson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_11ae by ComeWatson, on Flickr
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another .410 thread

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thats nice shape, .410 and .20 gauge bolts seem to be the only ones that sell here. There's been a nice Kiesssler 20 gauge sitting at the shop but i just dont need it. Besides .410 is to easy and cheap to load for. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill, that's a neat looking fourten you have found :D what's the barrel length and choke?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

GK: 24 inches and probably full choke, from the information I can find on line. Muzzle measures about .394. It weighs a little over five pounds and balances nicely.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I find those boltaction shotguns do in fact balance really well.
24" is the minimum length for a shotgun over here so if ever you get tired of it I could find it a good home :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

GK, how would it ship there? What kind red tape would have to jumped thru?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:50 am GK, how would it ship there? What kind red tape would have to jumped thru?
It is difficult nowadays and expensive, my local dealer is the UK agent for Bond Arms (Derringer's) I suppose he could include another firearm on his order from the US but it would probably be a knightmare of red tape, I have great difficulty getting even small parts now, at one time I could order from Numrich arms but not anymore.
I doubt that Bill would ever part with that little fourten it looks like a keeper being unfired and all, I would probably have to fight Nath for it anyway :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My three .410s, I had a Spanish copy of a Mossberg 183 but even with Ysabel Kid's help with getting a spare part it never fed the shells 100%. I'm always on the lookout for American boltaction .410s but over here they have to be adapted to only fire 3 shots or it's more red tape putting them on my Firearm license.. :roll: so a single shot would be nice.

Tap image to enlarge.
IMG_20190625_175929.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

By the way, solved the bolt release mystery with advice from gunsmith friend Tom Jackson. I pulled the stock per Tom's advice and there was the flat spring holding a bolt stop button into the bolt raceway. Turns out, you retract the bolt, which leaves a hole in the bottom of the raceway just visible. I used an Allen wrench to push down against the spring through the hole to depress the bolt stop and the bolt slid right out. Simple and neat.
8)

Here's the flat spring and the bolt stop:
Image fullsizeoutput_11af by ComeWatson, on Flickr

Here's the hole:
Image fullsizeoutput_11b0 by ComeWatson, on Flickr
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's neat, I've never seen one like that....... 8) I'm looking forward to a range report, love to know how it patterns at around 25yds.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill,

I have one that's nearly identical to yours except for the fore end and markings. Mine has a Sears stamp on the barrel along with 410 gage 3 inch.
It was my very first shotgun and hunted with it when I was 11 and 12. I never did well with it and the next year my dad gave me a Model 12 in 20 gage with a full choke. Never missed a rabbit again. :D He still won't go rabbit hunting with me if I have that Winchester along. He makes me take a handicap with a .22lr. :D
I still have the .410 but haven't shot it in years. My mom's Mossberg has taken it's place as my favorite .410

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

What a sweet little find 8)

John, I would never fight you for it friend.
I would just hang around your place licking your windows untill you caved in and gave it to me :lol:

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

:lol: :lol:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Licking windows? Is this another "Britishism," like "narfs"?

:lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Around here licking windows goes hand in hand with football helmets sans facemasks and riding the short bus... no idea what it means over the pond?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

These 410 threads are growing on me like a fever. I just found out tonight that Remington makes a 410 870 in an Express version that is about half the money of a Wingmaster.
I'd like to see a nice frost to kill off the worms in the tree rats early this year.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rusty, I've always said one real good shot on a fast moving squirrel or flying pigeon is worth a dozen with a 12 gauge, that's why I love hunting with the little buggers.. :wink:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's a pretty clean little "Marlin 59" considering it's probably 60 years old now! The 59 was originally called the "Olympic" but for some reason they dropped that name after the first year, and never used it again. It had an odd safety feature that put the safety on after each time the bolt was operated, so it required the user to turn the safety to fire position after each round was chambered. Probably extremely safe, but frustrating to those wanting to fire a second shot and having to remember to flip the safety off again.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, I noticed that, too. Good safety feature for a gun with the youth market in mind, but yes, a little frustrating.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm beginning to wish there was a forum dedicated to the little 410s.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rusty wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:29 pm I'm beginning to wish there was a forum dedicated to the little 410s.
Rusty, you may find this interesting :www.fourten.org.uk
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

GK, thanks for that link. I had misplaced it years ago.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:00 am GK, thanks for that link. I had misplaced it years ago.
You're welcome Bill, I have recently found this one : www.smallboreshotguns.com such a small gun but so much to learn.... :lol:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Owe you another one, GK. Bookmared and subscribed. 8)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks GK. My wife is gonna kill me.

I guess looking is still free, but this is going to cost me before it's over. I can sell her on a pump cause she thinks that what we need to defend mi casa. A slim little double might have to wait till I get my first official check. I do like that sweet looking little Turkish sweetie Bill just picked up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rusty, I see that central Florida is almost lousy with Academy stores. Lucky you!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm so thrilled with my double that I am putting this in the classifieds.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The closest Academy store to me is in Whorelando. A 2 hr drive on a good day. Jr is trying to talk me into a 20 ga.

elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

The first time I got my limit of 6 rabbits was when I took my Coast to Coast, Mossberg, bolt action .410 that I bought at a gun show in 1980 for $15.00. It was a spur of the moment last day of the season hunt that also resulted in a bad cold which developed into pneumonia about a month later but I sure had fun.

I recently picked up a like new Mossberg 183 and a new BPS in .410 along with a Mec 600.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

8)
My new to me Baikal single fully moderated has been doing a # on local pests very quietly.
H110 and near 3/4oz is near totally silent !
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

Nath,

How many grains of h110 for your almost 3/4 oz 410 shot load? What wad and hull are you using? Using 3" win aahs hulls and old win trap wads i can only get 5 /8 oz of 6 shot over 16g h110.

BB
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

bikerbeans wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:53 am Nath,

How many grains of h110 for your almost 3/4 oz 410 shot load? What wad and hull are you using? Using 3" win aahs hulls and old win trap wads i can only get 5 /8 oz of 6 shot over 16g h110.

BB
16 grain as you but.....my wad is a thin card, 1/8 of a kitchen towel rolled into a ball and another thin card on top. Parreral tubed cases. :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!