Win 94 .44 mag carrier spring

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Win 94 .44 mag carrier spring

Post by remshooter »

yes i have one of those Win 94 .44 mag, that has FTF .The tip of bullet jams against top of barrel as it goes in chamber with cartrige at an acute angle , ,and sometimes it just flips the unfired cartrige out of rifle instead of into chamber ,does not matter if i work lever soft ,or hard , has anyone had any luck fixing this by changing out the carrier spring?i have had this rifle for about 14 years, never fired it much ,just took hunting once in awhile if i was still hunting, but i never remember it doing this till last year, it has slowly got worse
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Win 94 .44 mag carrier spring

Post by GunnyMack »

Well to me reading your post it seems you have diagnosed the problem. Springs are cheap enough, do the swap and find out if it cures the FTF problem.
If the problem didnt happen before but does now then change the spring.
However is your ammo 'in spec' for COAL? If it's long this could be causing the problem. What bullet shape- FN,RN,SEMI WADCUTTER? Does it happen with jacketed? Have you tried adjusting bullet seating depth? Lots to tinker with to get an exact cause.
If I had this on my bench I would take it apart, smoke the internals and then cycle it with dummies to see if /where the cause appears.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:31 am If I had this on my bench I would take it apart, smoke the internals and then cycle it with dummies to see if /where the cause appears.
Gunny are you sure you weren't a Westley Richards gun Smith........ :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by remshooter »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:31 am Well to me reading your post it seems you have diagnosed the problem. Springs are cheap enough, do the swap and find out if it cures the FTF problem.
If the problem didnt happen before but does now then change the spring.
However is your ammo 'in spec' for COAL? If it's long this could be causing the problem. What bullet shape- FN,RN,SEMI WADCUTTER? Does it happen with jacketed? Have you tried adjusting bullet seating depth? Lots to tinker with to get an exact cause.
If I had this on my bench I would take it apart, smoke the internals and then cycle it with dummies to see if /where the cause appears.
it does it with all shapes ,swc, jsp ,factory 240 grn and hanload lead ,with 5 differant styles of bullets
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

remshooter,

Check both the carrier spring screw, and both cartridge guide screws to make sure they are tight.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I was trained by a WR master!

I'd say you most likely have a weak spring.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!