Whitney Kennedy screw dimensions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sicesp
Levergunner

Whitney Kennedy screw dimensions

Post by sicesp »

I am trying to re create the loading gate screw on a WK 44-40, but it is giving me some fits. Can anyone check the thread count? I figured it's an oversized 6-40 but having trouble there.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Whitney Kennedy screw dimensions

Post by GunnyMack »

Over sized 6-40 as in an 8-40? It could very well be a bastard size screw. You might have to make it...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

You probably need to find the class of thread, biggest mistake made by gun smiths and others.
https://www.natool.com/sites/default/fi ... 01-102.pdf

https://www.newmantools.com/taps/taptech.htm
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
sicesp
Levergunner

Post by sicesp »

After exhaustive searching and measuring, I discovered that the thread is 4 BA, which is an obsolete British thread. It is 38.46 tpi. Yep, strange and interesting.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sounds like you'll have to single point it. Is that close to anything metric when you convert it? Remember that metric threads are designated by the distance from one peak to the next so pitch is .66mm. Just trying to find a pitch that you can find a change gear for.

Don't forget about Whitworth threads, the system used by the UK at that time. Dig out your Machinery's Handbook.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Reach out to Nath and or Gamekeeper here, maybe they can find the screw you are looking for since they both live in the UK.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I think you are all over analyzing the whole thing.....unless the rifle is a pristine or near pristine example, just get an SAE screw of comparable size and thickness, shape the head like the original, antique the finish, then retap the receiver to the SAE size.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had the same thought Six , I didnt want to be they guy to suggest it tho :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny.......it's what I thought from the git go.......I was waiting for someone to suggest it also. :D been there....done that several times....Winchester stock bolts are 12-28 and I've bought rifles over the years where the threads were stripped out....dang if I'm gonna sleeve em on a 10 cent beater....1/4"-28 came to the rescue. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
sicesp
Levergunner

Post by sicesp »

The BA thread is a metric based system devised when the prediction was SAE would be extinct within 100 years. The threads are 47.5 degrees included angle. Though obsolete for the MOST part, there are a smattering of niche uses and I found a British firm that carries that tap.

Six-gun and gunny: I appreciate your input. Yes, if my back were against the wall, I would tap the receiver. But, if I can do it the "hard" way, keeping the original thread, I will... not for reasons of value, because I doubt the thread on the loading gate screw matters that much... just out of an eccentric sense of the need to keep it as it was manufactured. Not to mention that I am doing this for someone FAR away, whose rifle I haven't, and I would rather make his screw than tell him to tap the receiver.
sicesp
Levergunner

Post by sicesp »

Another interesting tidbit:. Whitworth was used for larger screws, but this system was made for screws of 6mm diameter down to the tiniest watch screw.