Electric truck

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Electric truck

Post by Bill in Oregon »

All this and 0-60 in 3 seconds!

https://products.rivian.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Electric truck

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks impressive on paper. I think the only 'issue' preventing decent electric vehicles has been the battery development. But look how much cellphone-type batteries have changed; 'golf-cart' ones will be next, then card and trucks will really change.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by fatboy »

Happened onto a live broadcast from LeMans a week or so back, heard the commentators talking about the Toyota GT cars being so fast out of the pits, seems those are Toyota hybrids with, as I disremember, 500HP electric motors with instantaneous torque! That combined with a 500HP fuel engine made them 1st and 2nd place in the race,
Bob
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I wish these folks the best. Somebody needed to be the first one in the pool with a 4WD electric truck. I believe they are asking $69,000.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The drive technology is there, just need better batteries. I worked on electric forklifts for a large city and the solid state drive systems worked quite well and were fairly long lived. Major problems were the batteries, which if leaked and made an electrical connection between the battery and the lift's frame could play havoc with the drive system. But on a forklift, the huge batteries were beneficial as counter weights...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

No. :shock: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Would this roadway be any danger to foot traffic?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Someone is already working on the battery issue.

https://www.fiskerinc.com/fisker-suv
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The answer to it all is WALKING -no fossil fuel emissions ( unless Sixgun is around) , no horse fanny burbs, cow fanny burbs. Of course I'm being sarcastic - except about Six :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I hope it works but my concern is the battery safety. These are built with a "skateboard" like frame with a battery underneath the length of the truck.

I live in Michigan where winters are hard on the undersides of vehicles with salt and snow. I imagine folks that live in areas prone to high water, particularly sea water like Louisiana might also have some concerns like that.

My other concern is the aftermath of collisions. My old boss is a firemen and he voiced concerns with batteries discharging, high voltage, capacitors, and leaking material from batteries after collisions. I'm sure most if not all of this has been addressed by NHTSA and other watchdog agencies but …….

Still there is little doubt this is the future. We are going to run out of fossil fuels sooner or later. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-saud ... SKCN0ZL1X6

Wm.

P.S. Recycling those batteries is going to be an industry on to itself. You can't safely landfill those batteries.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, I'm thinking the MAIN vehicles will be some sort of combustion-powered ones for quite some time.

An electric vehicle might have some advantages but I think the bottom line 'environmentally' is that whatever we drive, will take energy, and that energy has to come from somewhere. The only ultimate sources I can think of are:

a) sunshine
b) tides
c) falling water
d) geothermal
e) stuff that burns
f) stuff that is fissile

a and c and e are just 'indirect' sunshine, b and d are fundamental planetary phenomena, and f is the only one sort of inexhaustible, but f is also the one that human error could be catastrophic with.

If we would just quit WASTING so much energy and so many material things we don't need, I think we'd be fine; the internal combustion engines are getting much more efficient, and much more clean-burning. If we could figure out a way to store hydrogen safely, it might be a perfect fuel; the general tradeoff is that the cleaner-burning the fuel, the more dangerous it is to store. Coal and wood are pretty darned safe, but generate complex pollutants, whereas propane and methane and hydrogen burn near-perfectly, but aren't things you necessarily want a huge tank of in your vehicle.

Hopefully, we can keep the government from messing things up, and allow the innovation and efficiency of the free-market to keep improving things.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

I wonder about the battery life when it's -30 outside and the driver & passenger don't want to become popsicles?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, you left out moving air -- wind. I was surprised to learn that Texas is the nation's largest wind power producer. Have quite a few farms here in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico, too.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

GunnyMack may have hit on the answer. fanny burbs.
There are 7 billion people on earth, 1.5 billion head of cattle, 1 billion sheep, and .75 billion pigs.
The world methane production potential is massive.
One of the big advantages would be that facility workers would only need nose pegs as PPE :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.